Printer Loses Signal

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Edward W. Thompson, May 24, 2009.

  1. I have a HP Deskjet 6980 which is set up to connect to my wireless network.
    The OS is WINXP Pro SP3. The problem is the printer does not print after
    being left for a few hours. It appears to lose its 'connection' to the
    network despite the LEDs on the front of the machine showing it is
    connected and the printer Report Page confirms this.

    The printer Report Page always shows the printer is connected and shows no
    difference from when the printer is in 'the printing mode' and when it is
    not. The printer will print if it is powered down and restarted,. The signal
    strength is shown as '5', that is the maximum ( on the scale 1-5). The
    printer is located about 15 feet from the wireless router.

    I have tried with the computer Firewall on and off but the firewall (Sygate)
    does not appear to be the problem. I have also reset the printer network
    settings (as described in the Manual) but without success. The printer is
    in the 'Infrastructure mode' not ad hoc. Further the printer is assigned a
    'static IP address'.

    The printer is set to 'Channel 7'. I have not tried it on a different
    Channel and perhaps that is the solution. I an not clear what changing the
    channel will do and how that relates to the source (the wireless router).
    If changing the Channel changes the wireless frequency does it imply that
    the frequency of Channel 7 doesn't 'match' that of the router. If that is
    the case wouldn't that adversely affect 'Signal Strength' that presently
    shows the maximum? You can see I am not sure what I am doing :).

    Any suggestions?

    Edward W. Thompson, May 24, 2009

  2. Hi
    If there is noisy signal in the environment it would affect the printer
    connection,
    Typical good channels are 1 and 11. Both the Wireless Router/Access Point
    and the printer have to be on the same channel.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack [MVP-Networking], May 25, 2009

  3. Edward W. Thompson

    raymond75

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Was this ever resolved?

    I have the same problem & need to turn off/on the printer to get it working again. Rebooting the wireless router also does the trick but takes longer.

    raymond75, Apr 13, 2010