    That works out to $2,788 per gallon.

    Is that a ripoff or is that a ripoff?

    Talk about gas prices!

    Bob G, Apr 27, 2005

  2. Of course-economical studies have proved that printer ink is one of the most
    expensives fluids on earth, together with mice milk.My mother had the same
    problem, one lexmark cartridge with hardly 20 ml for 30 euro.Until we found
    the Inktec refill kits, which for 15 euro include:gloves, drill, syringes,
    vacuum chamber (to create suction)and of course 40 ml of ink, which is
    capable for 4 refills.There is also the colour ink flavour, but usually it's
    the black that runs out, because my mother is writing a book.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis, Apr 27, 2005

  3. Bob G

    Scott W Guest

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:
    > Of course-economical studies have proved that printer ink is one of

    the most
    > expensives fluids on earth, together with mice milk.My mother had the

    same
    > problem, one lexmark cartridge with hardly 20 ml for 30 euro.Until we

    found
    > the Inktec refill kits, which for 15 euro include:gloves, drill,

    syringes,
    > vacuum chamber (to create suction)and of course 40 ml of ink, which

    is
    > capable for 4 refills.There is also the colour ink flavour, but

    usually it's
    > the black that runs out, because my mother is writing a book.

    I got tired of paying through the nose for ink as well. My Canon
    printer is not too bad at ink cost but even so the cost I have to pay
    is clearly many times the real cost of the ink, I yesterday I started
    refilling my print cartridges. So far the only one I have had to
    refill is cyan, a few test prints show very little color shift.

    If I want a print to send to someone, where I am worried about it
    fading, I get it printed at Costco anyway. The prints I do at home are
    more gee-whiz types of photos, if they fad or the color no big deal. I
    am figuring that the refill kit costs less then 10% of the cost of the
    ink from Canon, and once you have the hole in the cartridge the time it
    takes to fill again is maybe a minute.

    Now my cost for printing 8 x 10 prints is pretty much the cost of the
    paper, I can get a very good photo paper at Costco for about $12 for
    120 sheets. So my cost to do an A4 print is now just a bit over $0.15

    Scott

    Scott W, Apr 27, 2005
  4. Bob G

    Dave Cohen Guest

    For the person who's mother is writing a book, I got a brother laser for
    $100 after mail in rebate from Staples. This deal may not be available but
    keep an eye open. For b&w, a laser is a much better deal than any inkjet
    both in terms of running cost and quality output. The hp and similar with
    single drum/toner package are better printers but will cost a little more
    initially.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Apr 27, 2005
  5. Bob G

    Guest

    On 27 Apr 2005 05:45:57 -0700, "Bob G" <> wrote:

    >My Epson R800 is a very nice printer but I have to buy cartridges all
    >the time.
    >
    >Does the box say how much ink is in the cartridge? I'll look next time.
    >
    >Let's assume it's around 20 milliliters.
    >
    >20 milliliters of ink for around $14.50.
    >
    >That works out to $2,788 per gallon.
    >
    >Is that a ripoff or is that a ripoff?
    >
    >Talk about gas prices!

    I dunno -- how many pages per gallon do you get?

    , Apr 27, 2005
  6. Bob G

    ecm Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > For the person who's mother is writing a book, I got a brother laser

    for
    > $100 after mail in rebate from Staples. This deal may not be

    available but
    > keep an eye open. For b&w, a laser is a much better deal than any

    inkjet
    > both in terms of running cost and quality output. The hp and similar

    with
    > single drum/toner package are better printers but will cost a little

    more
    > initially.
    > Dave Cohen
    > "Scott W" <> wrote in message

    I second that. Best $150 I ever spent was on a Brother H-1440 laser
    printer- my printing costs went from $50-60/month for refills for my HP
    inkjet to $3 month for a ream of paper; I've bought one toner cartridge
    ($60 for Brother brand name) in two years. I still have the inkjet
    attached to my computer but I don't know whether it even works anymore
    - I haven't used it in 18 months.....

    ECM

    ecm, Apr 27, 2005
  7. Bob G

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Scott W wrote:
    > Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:
    >
    >>Of course-economical studies have proved that printer ink is one of

    > the most
    >
    >>expensives fluids on earth, together with mice milk.My mother had the

    > same
    >
    >>problem, one lexmark cartridge with hardly 20 ml for 30 euro.Until we

    > found
    >
    >>the Inktec refill kits, which for 15 euro include:gloves, drill,

    > syringes,
    >
    >>vacuum chamber (to create suction)and of course 40 ml of ink, which

    > is
    >
    >>capable for 4 refills.There is also the colour ink flavour, but

    > usually it's
    >
    >>the black that runs out, because my mother is writing a book.
    >>

    > I got tired of paying through the nose for ink as well. My Canon
    > printer is not too bad at ink cost but even so the cost I have to pay
    > is clearly many times the real cost of the ink, I yesterday I started
    > refilling my print cartridges. So far the only one I have had to
    > refill is cyan, a few test prints show very little color shift.
    >
    > If I want a print to send to someone, where I am worried about it
    > fading, I get it printed at Costco anyway. The prints I do at home are
    > more gee-whiz types of photos, if they fad or the color no big deal. I
    > am figuring that the refill kit costs less then 10% of the cost of the
    > ink from Canon, and once you have the hole in the cartridge the time it
    > takes to fill again is maybe a minute.
    >
    > Now my cost for printing 8 x 10 prints is pretty much the cost of the
    > paper, I can get a very good photo paper at Costco for about $12 for
    > 120 sheets. So my cost to do an A4 print is now just a bit over $0.15
    >
    > Scott

    Don't you understand that you are paying for the PRINTER? How do you
    think they sell the printer for under $100? They know they can get your
    money later from cart. sales. It's called the Gillette Principle of
    Marketing.
    That's why film cameras are cheap, and digital cameras are expensive.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 27, 2005
  8. Bob G

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > For the person who's mother is writing a book, I got a brother laser for
    > $100 after mail in rebate from Staples. This deal may not be available but
    > keep an eye open. For b&w, a laser is a much better deal than any inkjet
    > both in terms of running cost and quality output. The hp and similar with
    > single drum/toner package are better printers but will cost a little more
    > initially.
    > Dave Cohen
    > "Scott W" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:
    >>
    >>>Of course-economical studies have proved that printer ink is one of

    >>the most
    >>
    >>>expensives fluids on earth, together with mice milk.My mother had the

    >>same
    >>
    >>>problem, one lexmark cartridge with hardly 20 ml for 30 euro.Until we

    >>found
    >>
    >>>the Inktec refill kits, which for 15 euro include:gloves, drill,

    >>syringes,
    >>
    >>>vacuum chamber (to create suction)and of course 40 ml of ink, which

    >>is
    >>
    >>>capable for 4 refills.There is also the colour ink flavour, but

    >>usually it's
    >>
    >>>the black that runs out, because my mother is writing a book.
    >>>

    >>I got tired of paying through the nose for ink as well. My Canon
    >>printer is not too bad at ink cost but even so the cost I have to pay
    >>is clearly many times the real cost of the ink, I yesterday I started
    >>refilling my print cartridges. So far the only one I have had to
    >>refill is cyan, a few test prints show very little color shift.
    >>
    >>If I want a print to send to someone, where I am worried about it
    >>fading, I get it printed at Costco anyway. The prints I do at home are
    >>more gee-whiz types of photos, if they fad or the color no big deal. I
    >>am figuring that the refill kit costs less then 10% of the cost of the
    >>ink from Canon, and once you have the hole in the cartridge the time it
    >>takes to fill again is maybe a minute.
    >>
    >>Now my cost for printing 8 x 10 prints is pretty much the cost of the
    >>paper, I can get a very good photo paper at Costco for about $12 for
    >>120 sheets. So my cost to do an A4 print is now just a bit over $0.15
    >>
    >>Scott

    And will KILL you when you find that a new toner/drum costs more than a
    new printer!

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 27, 2005
  9. Bob G

    Confused Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:51:07 -0500
    In message <0XSbe.9994$>
    Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    > Don't you understand that you are paying for the PRINTER?

    My answer is out of context, but the answer is YES, we
    are paying for the printers. They are made in CHINA.

    > How do you think they sell the printer for under $100?
    > They know they can get your money later from cart. sales.
    > <snip>

    They get us both ways now.

    Jeff

    Confused, Apr 27, 2005
  10. Bob G

    Renee Guest

    "Bob G" <> wrote in message
    > My Epson R800 is a very nice printer but I have to buy cartridges all
    > the time.
    >
    > Does the box say how much ink is in the cartridge? I'll look next time.
    >
    > Let's assume it's around 20 milliliters.
    >
    > 20 milliliters of ink for around $14.50.
    >
    > That works out to $2,788 per gallon.
    >
    > Is that a ripoff or is that a ripoff?
    >
    > Talk about gas prices!

    Here's a few more items to ponder

    Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 ........ $10.32 per gallon
    Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19 ...........$9.52 per gallon
    Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 ...... $10.17 per gallon
    Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 ...... $10.00 per gallon
    Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 ...... $33.60 per gallon
    Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 ...... $178.13 per gallon
    Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 ....... $123.20 per gallon
    Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 ...... $25.42 per gallon
    Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 ...... $84.48 per gallon
    Evian water 9 oz $1.49...... $21.19 per gallon

    So, the next time you're at the pump, be glad your car doesn't run on water,
    Scope, or Whiteout, Pepto Bismal, Nyquil, or God forbid Printer Ink.

    Renee, Apr 28, 2005
  11. Bob G

    Renee Guest

    Forgot to add - all that's not mine. It's actually a (modified) quote from
    an e-mail that's been going around.

    Renee, Apr 28, 2005
  12. Bob G

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:48:40 GMT, Renee wrote:

    > Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 ....... $123.20 per gallon
    > Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 ...... $25.42 per gallon
    > Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 ...... $84.48 per gallon
    > Evian water 9 oz $1.49...... $21.19 per gallon
    >
    > So, the next time you're at the pump, be glad your car doesn't run on water,
    > Scope, or Whiteout, Pepto Bismal, Nyquil, or God forbid Printer Ink.

    What, no heavy water on the list? Maybe a team of inspectors is
    needed to find it, and I imagine it would command a pretty high
    price. Maybe even as much as printing ink. :)

    ASAAR, Apr 28, 2005
  13. Bob G

    Stacey Guest

    Bob G wrote:

    > My Epson R800 is a very nice printer but I have to buy cartridges all
    > the time.

    The cheaper the printer, the more the ink costs per unit. Replacement inks
    for an epson C84 are as much as the printer costs and require replacement
    while they are still half full as the printer shuts itself off after X
    number of prints no matter how much ink is left.

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Apr 28, 2005
  14. Bob G

    Matt Ion Guest

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:
    > Of course-economical studies have proved that printer ink is one of the most
    > expensives fluids on earth, together with mice milk.My mother had the same
    > problem, one lexmark cartridge with hardly 20 ml for 30 euro.Until we found
    > the Inktec refill kits, which for 15 euro include:gloves, drill, syringes,
    > vacuum chamber (to create suction)and of course 40 ml of ink, which is
    > capable for 4 refills.There is also the colour ink flavour, but usually it's
    > the black that runs out, because my mother is writing a book.

    Sounds like she'd be better off with a laser printer.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0517-3, 04/28/2005
    Tested on: 4/28/2005 7:04:23 AM

    Matt Ion, Apr 28, 2005
  15. Bob G

    ecm Guest

    Bob G wrote:
    > My Epson R800 is a very nice printer but I have to buy cartridges all
    > the time.
    > Does the box say how much ink is in the cartridge? I'll look next

    time.
    > Let's assume it's around 20 milliliters.
    > 20 milliliters of ink for around $14.50.
    > That works out to $2,788 per gallon.
    >
    > Is that a ripoff or is that a ripoff?
    >
    > Talk about gas prices!

    Well. Here's some good news for all of the Epson fans out there:

    Gee, they don't want us to think that it's "an effort to stamp out the
    third-party cartridge market", huh? Pure bull$#!+. It's the camel's
    nose.

    ECM

    ecm, Apr 28, 2005
  16. Bob G

    ecm Guest

    Yep, but that means I get a new laser printer every 20,000 pages ....
    why would I buy just a new drum? I'd also point out that a new Brother,
    Samsung, or Konica-Minolta low-end laser can be had off-the-shelf for
    less than the price of 4 ink cartridges for my old Lexmark printer
    (about a month's supply - it clogged a lot) or 6 of the HP cartridges
    (about 2 month's supply). I've had my Brother for 2 years; I haven't
    reached 9,000 pages yet, and I use it a lot.

    ECM

    ecm, Apr 28, 2005
  17. Bob G

    Al Luminium Guest

    "Renee" <> wrote in message

    > "Bob G" <> wrote in message
    >> My Epson R800 is a very nice printer but I have to buy cartridges all
    >> the time.
    >>
    >> Does the box say how much ink is in the cartridge? I'll look next time.
    >>
    >> Let's assume it's around 20 milliliters.
    >>
    >> 20 milliliters of ink for around $14.50.
    >>
    >> That works out to $2,788 per gallon.
    >>
    >> Is that a ripoff or is that a ripoff?
    >>
    >> Talk about gas prices!
    >>

    > Here's a few more items to ponder
    >
    > Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 ........ $10.32 per gallon
    > Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19 ...........$9.52 per gallon
    > Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 ...... $10.17 per gallon
    > Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 ...... $10.00 per gallon
    > Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 ...... $33.60 per gallon
    > Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 ...... $178.13 per gallon
    > Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 ....... $123.20 per gallon
    > Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 ...... $25.42 per gallon

    Whiteout is 0.7 oz, or $508.34 per US gallon at $1.39/bottle

    Al Luminium, Apr 28, 2005
  18. Bob G

    David Chien Guest

    Computer Reseller Magazine often has ads for resellers that toot fun
    things like sell printer cartridges, make 25-50% profit! (paraphrased)

    Fact of life, they know you need ink - sell them smmall & expensive!

    --

    Buy a new printer when the ink runs out in the old one! With new ones
    for <$50 cheaper than buying ink carts! (www.fatwallet.com/c/18/)

    --

    www.inkjetmall.com Continuous ink bottle feed systems if you must print
    hundreds of color prints cheap per month.

    David Chien, Apr 29, 2005
  19. Bob G

    DJ Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:51:07 -0500, Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    <snip>>>
    >Don't you understand that you are paying for the PRINTER? How do you
    >think they sell the printer for under $100? They know they can get your
    >money later from cart. sales. It's called the Gillette Principle of
    >Marketing.
    >That's why film cameras are cheap, and digital cameras are expensive.

    Canon, Nikon and Minolta, Leica, Hasselblad and Linhof, they all make film? Did
    you ever use RolleiColor or LeicaPan?

    DJ, Apr 30, 2005
  20. In article <>,
    "Bob G" <> wrote:

    > My Epson R800 is a very nice printer but I have to buy cartridges all
    > the time.
    >
    > Does the box say how much ink is in the cartridge? I'll look next time.
    >
    > Let's assume it's around 20 milliliters.
    >
    > 20 milliliters of ink for around $14.50.
    >
    > That works out to $2,788 per gallon.
    >
    > Is that a ripoff or is that a ripoff?
    >
    > Talk about gas prices!

    W/o looking at all the other no brain responses :)
    To your no brayened testament- Great output magazine
    ran article to the same tack, basically in a nutshell your paying for
    the R&D to make those wiz bang IJ printers you digital boyz go for.

    Mike Scarpety, May 2, 2005