    Inactive icons are not set to hidden.

    TIA
    Joseph

    Joseph, Sep 1, 2005

  2. Joseph

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Joseph wrote:
    > Using XP Pro Sp2
    > my PC for some reason does not display the Printer icon in the system
    > tray, when documents are sent to it, or any other printer for that
    > matter..
    > Any idea what could cause that?
    >
    > Inactive icons are not set to hidden.
    >
    > TIA
    > Joseph

    Who cares? Does the printer print? What kind of printer? If the printer is
    getting data fast and has its own memory, the printer icon would be on and
    off so fast you might not see it.

    At work, we have some shared printers. Those icons don't show up in the
    system tray when printing either. So for the users to be able to stop a
    document they sent, I have a shortcut to the printer on the desktop. Double
    click, and the print manager box comes up so they can stop the printer.

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 2, 2005

  3. Joseph

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <>, Joseph favored us with...
    > Using XP Pro Sp2
    > my PC for some reason does not display the Printer icon in the system tray,
    > when documents are sent to it, or any other printer for that matter..
    >
    > Any idea what could cause that?
    >
    > Inactive icons are not set to hidden.

    1. Have you tried actually clicking on the chevron to unhide hidden
    icons temporarily? (I know you said they're not set to hidden, but
    IME the settings aren't always honored.)

    2. If you print only short documents, it's quite possible the whole
    document would go to the printer to quickly for the icon to appear.

    3. Open up the printer in Settings -> Printers and Fax, then select
    Properties -> Advanced. Have you perhaps changed some of these
    recently, such a "Print directly to printer"?

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Sep 3, 2005
  4. Joseph

    Joseph Guest

    A big Thank You to both Tim Toolman & Stan Brown for your kind replies.

    > Who cares? -> User does.. I don't as long as it prints
    > If the printer is

    getting data fast and has its own memory, the printer icon would be on and
    off so fast you might not see it. - > agreed but back to #1 above
    > I have a shortcut to the printer on the desktop -> thanks for the tip
    > I'll pass it on

    > Have you tried actually clicking on the chevron -> yes I have
    >2. If you print only short documents -> same point as Tim so we all agree
    >on that - but back to #1 above...
    > Open up the printer in Settings -> yes I did check and this user has no
    > rights to change anything with...

    > Indecision is the key to flexibility. -> I'll borrow that if I may :)

    Thanks again Gents - joseph

    Joseph, Sep 14, 2005
  5. Joseph

    Stan Brown Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:49:47 +0100 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Joseph favored us with...
    > A big Thank You to both Tim Toolman & Stan Brown for your kind replies.

    I'm glad we helped. It might be nice to share with us all what the
    problem was and how you fixed it, so that we'll know when a similar
    question is asked in the future. :)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
    "I was misinformed."

    Stan Brown, Sep 14, 2005