    systems.

    I'm about fried, any help out there ???

    John
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBSYXR6ZW5iZXJnZXI=?=, Mar 21, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBSYXR6ZW5iZXJnZXI=?=

    WLW Guest

    Hi, John -

    If it was working and all you did was change to a different router and then
    it stopped working, I would tend to suspect the new router.

    Verify that the D-Link is not blocking File and Printer Sharing.

    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com

    "John Ratzenberger" <> wrote in
    message news:D...

    WLW, Mar 21, 2005

  3. William:

    Good idea & I went back to the manual on the CD & brought up the
    confguration & went thru all, but it appears that the firewall as well as all
    filters, are all off. Now it may be that I do not understand the firewall
    screen.

    Anyway, having rechecked all, I rebooted the Router .... No change.

    It does appear between my original post & now, there is some progress. On
    the desktop, I can click "My Network Places", "Entire Network", "MS Windows
    Network", "my work group", and finally I'll get a list with the desktop & one
    (only 1 on) laptop on it but I cannot "open" the laptop -- I get "not
    accessible, may not have permisiion for resource", etc ....

    John

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBSYXR6ZW5iZXJnZXI=?=, Mar 22, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBSYXR6ZW5iZXJnZXI=?=

    WLW Guest

    Go through all the basics:

    - Make sure they are on the same Workgroup, the names must be identical.
    - Make sure the Windows Firewall is ON, and that "Don't Allow Exceptions" is
    NOT checked.
    - Under the Microsoft Firewall Exceptions tab make sure "File and Printer
    Sharing" is checked.
    - To share a Directory right-click it and select sharing and Security, give
    it a name
    - Under permissions share to Everyone and give them Read Permission (Only
    allow Full Control if REALLY needed).
    - To share a printer go to Start, Printer and Faxes, right-click on the
    Printer and select Sharing, share it and give it a name.
    - If you have other Firewall software on any boxes, make sure it allows File
    and Print Sharing (Norton, etc.)

    Some times it can take a few minutes for the shares to propagate from one
    system to another.

    Other things:

    A few times I have had to power both systems completely off to clear up
    these kinds of problems.

    Double-check the IP addresses and subnet masks in the properties for the
    systems or using IPCONFIG, make sure those are correct. They need to be able
    to communicate.

    Open a DOS box and use the PING command and the IP Address to make sure they
    are communicating.

    Once or twice I have had to Map a drive to a share to get two computers to
    communicate:

    Right-click Start, select Explore to open Windows Explorer. Select Tools,
    Map Network Drive...

    Enter the IP Address and C$ to map the root of the main disk:
    \\192.168.0.2\c$

    If the user name and/or password are different between the two machines:

    Click on "Connect using a different user name", then enter the Computer
    Name\User Name and password for the target computer:

    DESKTOP\John
    S3cr3t

    Click on OK, then on Finish. It should try to map the drive.

    Can't think of anything else...

    Hope this helps,
    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com

    "John Ratzenberger" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    WLW, Mar 22, 2005
  5. William, thank you very much for the extensive help.
    I'm on a few beers & will won't get near a problem, so will work thru what
    you have given me in the morning. I have done all the workgroup, printer,
    etc, name checks more times than I care to count. Which is why I'm into a
    few beers ...

    One question: You have the Win FW ON. I run Norton Internet Security &
    Anti-Virus and was under the impression that I should not be running two FW
    at same time (even MS says that). Am I missing something ??? I have to
    agree that I was wondering if that might not resolve the issues since many of
    the network setup screens have subtly changed with SP2 and it seems tyo be
    related.

    Again, thanks
    John

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBSYXR6ZW5iZXJnZXI=?=, Mar 22, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBSYXR6ZW5iZXJnZXI=?=

    WLW Guest

    Hi, John -

    There are various reasons NOT to run multiple firewalls. One is performance;
    each firewall adds a layer that costs a length of time while the firewall
    rules are compared to traffic. Another reason is that it is possible for one
    firewall to defeat or interfere with the security of another firewall. An
    example of this would be if one of the firewalls simply blocked a range of
    ports while the second firewall was watching for a pattern of ports being
    sequentially scanned, watching for suspicious activity. The second firewall
    might not see the sequential scan and then might not identify the source as
    "hostile". Other examples would probably tend to get complicated and
    convoluted, but such are the minds of security people and hackers...

    Like you, I run Norton Internet Security and Anti-Virus on my personal
    systems, and on those systems I typically follow Microsoft's instructions
    and turn Windows Firewall Off. Sorry, I probably should have said something
    to that effect. Please accept my apology.
    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com

    "John Ratzenberger" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    WLW, Mar 23, 2005
  7. Apology unnecessary.
    But I go back to an eraly question. When I run the network config, it
    sooner or later gives me the option to share or not & it says it is configing
    win-FW whichever way I say & sure enough, if it was off before it is on when
    done.
    And whther I, after net config on 2 systems, turn it off on both or leave it
    on, I staill don't have a network.

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBSYXR6ZW5iZXJnZXI=?=, Mar 23, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBSYXR6ZW5iZXJnZXI=?=

    WLW Guest

    Okay, we could try it the "Un-Wizard" way...

    Try turning off the Windows Firewall and not using the Network Configuration
    Wizard on any of the systems. Don't use ANY wizards.

    Open up "Network Connections". Right-Click on the Wireless connection and
    select Properties to open up the Properties page for the wireless
    connection. Then select the "General" tab.

    Under "This connection uses the following items" check and make sure that
    "Client for Microsoft Networks" is installed and that the box beside it is
    checked. Also make sure that "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft
    Networks" is installed and that the box next to it is checked.

    Scroll down to "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", highlight it and click on
    "Properties". Under the "General" tab click on "Advanced...". Select the
    "Options", select "TCP/IP Filtering", click on "Properties", and make sure
    TCP/IP Filtering is NOT enabled. Save your settings.

    The above will make sure that the systems have the Microsoft Networking and
    the File and Printer Sharing enabled on the correct interface and that
    nothing is interfering. The Wizard SHOULD do this, double-check that it is
    doing it correctly.

    I have Norton Internet Professional 2004, your should be similar enough that
    you should be able to configure accordingly. Open up Norton Internet
    Security and go into the Firewall Configuration. Select the "Networking" tab
    and select the "Trusted" tab. Add a Network or Range to allow your other
    systems access to each other. Go through the Firewall configs to make sure
    there is nothing else that may be interfering.

    At this point you should be able to open a Command Prompt box use PING and
    the IP address to confirm that the systems can really "see" each other.
    IPCONFIG can be used to print out what the IP Addresses, Net Masks, etc.,
    are set to.

    Right-click on "My Computer" and select "Properties". Select the "Computer
    Name" tab and use the "Change" button to set the computer Name. Select
    "Workgroup" and enter your Workgroup Name. Use the OK buttons to save the
    settings.

    Go into Windows Explorer and Share a directory. Go into Printers and Faxes
    and Share a printer. You should be able to see these shared items on the
    other system.

    Sometime shared devices take a few seconds to a minute or so to propagate. A
    few times I have even had to Reset or Power-cycle the systems at both ends
    to clean everything up.

    I can't think of anything else at the moment.
    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com

    "John Ratzenberger" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    WLW, Mar 23, 2005
  9. William:

    I found it, between my last message & this -- it was Norton Firewall
    blocking all but the router.
    Since I had touched nothing, either LinkSys & D-Link work differently or
    Norton just decided to mange things on it's own.
    Anyway, I've got the two laptops seeing the Desktop & vice versa.
    The two laptops can't see each other, but I'll deal with that tomorrow.

    As part of this, I got new D-Link cards for each laptop to move them up to -G.
    I also went to your website & got the network config information, so I'm now
    on WPA-PSK & all that good stuff, something I had been meaning to do.

    I really want to thank you for your help -- both directly here & what I got
    from your website. If you're ever in Nags Head, NC, I owe you a beverage or
    two of your choice.

    John
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBSYXR6ZW5iZXJnZXI=?=, Mar 23, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBSYXR6ZW5iZXJnZXI=?=

    WLW Guest

    Good luck with it.

    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com

    "John Ratzenberger" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    WLW, Mar 23, 2005
  11. Oh, i understand what you are saying John. one thing you have to do is make
    sure that the host computer is setup in the network setup wizard 1st. then
    other systems follow, all must have same workgroup name, i also know that
    nortons still blocks things from going and coming even when it is shut off..
    let me know what happens.

    =?Utf-8?B?VG95?=, Jun 18, 2005