    or 10/full fix this?

    thanks

    , Oct 24, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    :I was just wondering what the ports on a cisco switch be set to for
    :printers. I do see alot of collissions on the cisco switch ports.
    :most of them are auto

    auto is fine for most printers

    :but connected as 10mb /half. How would i stop the
    :collissions from happening. Would setting the port explictly to 10/half
    :eek:r 10/full fix this?

    For most printers, the only way to prevent collisions is to get a
    newer printer. Ah, I lie: there is another option, which is to disconnect
    the network cable and use serial or parallel or USB interfaces instead.

    Many printers only support 10/half (or sometimes 100/half)
    so for those printers, nothing you could do on the switch end could
    prevent half duplex. And if you have half duplex and both ends want
    to communicate at the same time (e.g., the printer wants to acknowledge
    receipt of a data packet) then you WILL have collisions.

    Collisions are NORMAL in half duplex communications. Unless your
    -rate- of collisions is more than 75%, you shouldn't even be thinking
    about the matter. Even at "100% collisions" there is not a particulary
    meaningful slowdown in throughput rate. [Measurable, yes, but
    if you didn't think to check before buying the printer whether it
    ran at 100/full or faster, then chances are that the minutae of
    printer network throughput are not something you should worry about.]

    Walter Roberson, Oct 24, 2005

  3. Guest

    Walter said:
    ... lots snipped ...
    "Collisions are NORMAL in half duplex communications."
    .... lots more snipped ...

    Couldn't have put it better myself:) (USB:))))

    If you search comp.dcom.lans.ethernet for
    [collisions Seifert] you may manage to
    locate some relevant material

    e.g.
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/co..._frm/thread/9c564f6ccaae49fa/94a5a03e4692b321

    "I really regret calling the arbitration events "collisions" in the
    original
    specification. If we had called them "arbitration cycles" or
    "reschedule
    indicators" or even "flabberdabbers" these arguments would have been
    over
    years ago. On the other hand, it would have killed the world market for

    yellow LEDs!"

    Mr Seifert was a (the?) major contributor to the original
    IEEE 802.3 (Ethernet) standard and is the author of a fine
    book on Ethernet Switching.

    , Oct 26, 2005