    Regards and Happy Trails,

    Scott Needham
    Boulder, Colorado, USA

    S. Needham, Nov 11, 2008

  2. In the Desktop, run net share and in the Laptop run net view
    \\desktopipaddress. Post back with the results.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Nov 11, 2008

  3. S. Needham

    S. Needham Guest

    OK, now I'm not sure what cmd was s'posed to run on the laptop. When I
    tried net view \\desktopipaddress (was I s'posed to?), it came back "system
    error 53, network path not found."

    --

    SN

    Regards and Happy Trails,

    Scott Needham
    Boulder, Colorado, USA

    S. Needham, Nov 11, 2008
  4. S. Needham

    S. Needham Guest

    This apparently didn't go through first try:

    OK, can't copy/paste the cmd window--can I post screen shots here?--, but
    the printer shows up in net share as "spooled" with the share name
    "DellLaser" as it is s'posed to. In net view, the only resource listed is
    \\Beverly" which I think is the name my wife gave the laptop; the i'net is
    accessible from the laptop.

    S. Needham, Nov 11, 2008
  5. In desktop, run "net share .c:\netshare.txt"
    In desktop, run "ipconfig" and write down the IP address.
    In laptop, run "net view \\desktopipaddress >c:\netview.txt". Replace the IP
    address found in desktop ipconfig command with desktopipaddress.

    Copy and paste netshare.txt and netview.txt here.

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Nov 12, 2008
  6. S. Needham

    S. Needham Guest

    DESKTOP:

    Share name Resource Remark

    print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
    Printer Drivers
    ADMIN$ C:\WINDOWS Remote Admin
    C$ C:\ Default share
    IPC$ Remote IPC
    SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS

    DellLaser USB001 Spooled Dell Laser Printer 1100
    Printer DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled ScanSoft PDF Create!
    Printer2 Nuance Image Printer W Spooled PaperPort Image Printer
    Printer3 XPSPort: Spooled Microsoft XPS Document Writer
    Printer4 My Documents\*.pdf Spooled Creates Adobe PDF
    Printer5 Microsoft Document Ima Spooled Microsoft Office Document Image
    Wr
    Printer6 DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled DocuCom PDF Driver
    Printer7 USB002 Spooled Dell Photo AIO Printer 922
    The command completed successfully.

    ipconfig gives 102.168.0.10 for the desktop

    LAPTOP:

    ran both "net view \\desktopipaddress >c:\netview.txt". and "net view
    \\192.168.0.10>c:\netview.txt" and in both cases got 'Error 53 has occured,
    the network path was not found."

    S. Needham, Nov 12, 2008
  7. There is a space between the ip address and >. it should look like this:

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Nov 12, 2008
  8. S. Needham

    S. Needham Guest

    Same result, Robert: 'Error 53 has occurred, the network path was not
    found."

    Just to clarify, this is the command I used:

    net[space]view[space]\\192.168.0.10[space]>c:\netview.txt

    SN
    "

    S. Needham, Nov 12, 2008
  9. S. Needham

    Jim Guest

    "S. Needham" <> wrote in message
    > Same result, Robert: 'Error 53 has occurred, the network path was not
    > found."
    >
    > Just to clarify, this is the command I used:
    >
    > net[space]view[space]\\192.168.0.10[space]>c:\netview.txt
    >
    > SN
    > "
    >

    > Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <> wrote in message
    >> There is a space between the ip address and >. it should look like this:
    >>
    >> net view \\192.168.0.10 >c:\netview.txt
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >> "S. Needham" <> wrote in message
    >>> DESKTOP:
    >>>
    >>> Share name Resource Remark

    >>> print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
    >>> Printer Drivers
    >>> ADMIN$ C:\WINDOWS Remote Admin
    >>> C$ C:\ Default share
    >>> IPC$ Remote IPC
    >>> SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS
    >>>
    >>> DellLaser USB001 Spooled Dell Laser Printer 1100
    >>> Printer DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled ScanSoft PDF Create!
    >>> Printer2 Nuance Image Printer W Spooled PaperPort Image Printer
    >>> Printer3 XPSPort: Spooled Microsoft XPS Document
    >>> Writer
    >>> Printer4 My Documents\*.pdf Spooled Creates Adobe PDF
    >>> Printer5 Microsoft Document Ima Spooled Microsoft Office Document
    >>> Image Wr
    >>> Printer6 DocuCom PDF Port: Spooled DocuCom PDF Driver
    >>> Printer7 USB002 Spooled Dell Photo AIO Printer 922
    >>> The command completed successfully.
    >>>

    >>> ipconfig gives 102.168.0.10 for the desktop
    >>>
    >>> LAPTOP:
    >>>
    >>> ran both "net view \\desktopipaddress >c:\netview.txt". and "net view
    >>> \\192.168.0.10>c:\netview.txt" and in both cases got 'Error 53 has
    >>> occured, the network path was not found."
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> SN
    >>>
    >>> Regards and Happy Trails,
    >>>
    >>> Scott Needham
    >>> Boulder, Colorado, USA
    >>> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <> wrote in message

    It would help a lot if you posted the results of ipconfig/all for both
    computers.
    Also, can each computer ping the other?
    Is this an Ad-hoc network?
    Jim

    Jim, Nov 12, 2008
  10. Yes, can you ping each other by IP? If not, I would check any security
    software settings.

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Nov 12, 2008
  11. S. Needham

    S. Needham Guest

    One step at a time: laptop can ping desktop, but desktop times out pinging
    laptop.

    what am I looking for? something in ZoneAlarm?

    S. Needham, Nov 12, 2008
  12. S. Needham

    S. Needham Guest

    works now--Re: printer 'dropped off' n/w

    OK guys, regardless of any failures to ping or any deficiencies in our n/w,
    I can now print, so I'm a happy camper who can stop screwin' with the
    'puters. Thanks for your efforts on my behalf.

    Regards and Happy Trails,

    Scott Needham
    Boulder, Colorado, USA
    "

    S. Needham, Nov 13, 2008
  13. S. Needham

    Jim Guest

    "S. Needham" <> wrote in message
    > One step at a time: laptop can ping desktop, but desktop times out pinging
    > laptop.
    >
    > what am I looking for? something in ZoneAlarm?
    >
    > --
    >
    > SN
    >
    > Regards and Happy Trails,
    >
    > Scott Needham
    > Boulder, Colorado, USA
    > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <> wrote in message
    >> Yes, can you ping each other by IP? If not, I would check any security
    >> software settings.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >> "Jim" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "S. Needham" <> wrote in message

    >>> It would help a lot if you posted the results of ipconfig/all for both
    >>> computers.
    >>> Also, can each computer ping the other?
    >>> Is this an Ad-hoc network?
    >>> Jim

    ZA on the laptop is not letting ICMP packets through to the laptop. If
    these packets are rejected, the printer cannot be accessed from the desktop
    (among lots of other problems).
    Finding where to enable ICMP packets in ZA was not real easy for me. I no
    longer run ZA hence I have no way of refreshing my memory on this change.

    Jim

    Jim, Nov 13, 2008