    on making drivers for the 64bit Operative System for that printer."

    Does this mean that I can never use this printer for XP-64 ?

    Clayton
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2xheXRvbg==?=, Oct 1, 2005

  2. "Clayton" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Apologies if this question has already been asked.
    >
    > I have a Lexmark X1180 printer and when I attempt to install the XP
    > driver (had to have a go!), I receive the following error message:
    >
    > "The Image file
    > C:\Lxk1100\drivers\WIN_XP2K\ENGLISH\Setup.exe is valid, but is for a
    > machine type other than the current machine"
    >
    > I emailed Lexmark and received the following reply regarding drivers
    > for XP-64:
    >
    > "Regarding the error message you are receiving:
    > Unfortunately the X1180 does not have a 64bit driver and there are no
    > plans on making drivers for the 64bit Operative System for that
    > printer."
    >
    > Does this mean that I can never use this printer for XP-64 ?
    >
    > Clayton

    Clayton, that is about the size of it. Lexmark has no intentions of making
    64 bit drivers for any of its printers, as far as I know. HP on the other
    hand, is working on them.

    --

    -------------------------------------
    Wayne Wastier
    Wayne Wastier, Oct 1, 2005

  3. HI,on making drivers for the 64bit Operative System for that printer."

    > Does this mean that I can never use this printer for XP-64 ?

    Check out the printers manual and have a look for compatibility mades (for
    example epson / PCL or any else)
    for a found compatibility figure out a printer which is supported by xp64
    install that printerdriver
    u may not have all your features, but u should be able to print
    regards
    Juergen Kluth, Oct 1, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2xheXRvbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Lexmark has lots of printers covered in x64. I have 3 Lexmark printers
    between 3-6 years old and all worked out of the box.

    John Barnes, Oct 1, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q2xheXRvbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Doesn't look as if Lexmark has any multi-function drivers available that I
    can find. There are lots of printer drivers for Lexmark, look in
    ntprint.inf and see if you can find something similar. Or you can just try
    to install the Z52, which I believe has a similar print quality. As to the
    other functions, you are going to be out of luck. HP, Brother and Epson are
    supporting x64 pretty well with current printers

    Also be aware that having the drivers only goes so far. If the software
    that they provide won't install or work, you are going to have to find
    alternate ways of getting your scans to be functional.

    John Barnes, Oct 1, 2005
  6. And, of course, like so many here you could dual-boot with something that
    does support the full feature-set of your printer.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 1, 2005
  7. "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    > Lexmark has lots of printers covered in x64. I have 3 Lexmark
    > printers between 3-6 years old and all worked out of the box.

    Thank you John for clearing that up. However, I just purchase a Lexmark 3350
    and no x64 drivers. It is an all in one solution. I wrote Lexmark, and they
    told me that they had no plans on writing 64 bit drivers for it.

    --

    -------------------------------------
    Wayne Wastier
    Wayne Wastier, Oct 1, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Q2xheXRvbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    They do seem to be lacking in multi function drivers.

    John Barnes, Oct 1, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Q2xheXRvbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    :-(( but true. Not real convenient. I hope Vista 64 has better support,
    but that will depend on demand for 64 bit operating systems. I can see 64
    bit computers with 32 bit operating systems for years to come.

    John Barnes, Oct 1, 2005
  10. No, not if that is your prime reason for dual-booting. If it already sits
    there, however, it's not unlikely that most of the software you are using
    already has a double on that other boot option, and with a little foresight
    it doesn't have to be that bad. If you're in an office, though, that may be
    completely different situation. I mean, I was lucky to have chosen my HP,
    but I hated the Lex intensely, so even that was a deliberate decision, but
    it did take a while just the same - I certainly didn't know I was going to
    run a 64bit Window version, nor that it wouldn't support almost any printer
    at the time. But I managed to absolve some usefull printing that way - I
    would say that mostly it was just a whopping nuicance realizing there was a
    problem. The problem itself, had sort of nature's reality about it.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 2, 2005
  11. Ah, About Vista. . .of course, I have no inside information about anything
    of this sort, but I am beginning to suspect that PERHAPS Vista drivers will
    eventually be implemented differently than NT/XP - AND that this is the real
    reason why so much is NOT happening in this here environment. Everybody is
    busy polishing!

    ???

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Oct 2, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?Q2xheXRvbg==?=

    Peter Lawton Guest

    Full marks to Epson here, drivers available for everything on my CX6600
    multi function

    Printer, scanner and flash card readers all work perfectly.

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Oct 2, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?Q2xheXRvbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Same for Brother drivers, but the PaperPort software they deliver won't
    install, leaving only the Windows scanner for the access and management, and
    it isn't as useful. I have used PaperPort (purchased version) for years and
    really depend on a number of its features, but they, like so many other
    software vendors say there is just too little interest in 64-bit to bother
    with. Maybe Vista, but my guess is 64-bit is going to stay a niche product.
    Even products that would definitely benefit from 64-bit processing are
    staying with 32-bit.

    John Barnes, Oct 2, 2005
  14. I can't see how Vista x64 will be a niche product when Microsoft is planning
    to make all editions except for the Starter Edition native 64-bit and 32-bit
    out of the box. Which means users will have the choice to install either
    instruction code according their process architecture, its mostly that users
    will go with the 64 bit edition although will be given a choice at install
    time to choose either the 64-bit or 32-bit version of say Vista Home Premium
    Edition.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 2, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?Q2xheXRvbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I hope that means that the users can change their minds after they install
    the 64-bit version and find out that alot of their favourite programs don't
    run or install and that they will have to buy new hardware to make it run
    because drivers aren't available.
    Most users aren't the fanatics on this site about being leading edge or beta
    testers or whatever. They just want the programs they own, the cheap
    printer that came with their computer package and the cheap scanner they
    bought to avoid trips to the copy center, to work out of the box. They
    don't want to buy a new OS, which few do anyway, and find out they need to
    buy another $500 - $1000 worth of accessories just to get back where they
    were before. It still boils down to there being no benefit for the average
    desktop or business application user. A couple of nanoseconds faster do not
    justify the expense. If you are not a state of the art gamer or into video
    processing, most won't notice the difference. Most will choose to install
    the 32-bit version of Vista for a long time to come, but that is only my
    opinion. Time will tell, but as has been stated here many times, most here
    even dual boot and the average user has no use for that hassle.

    John Barnes, Oct 2, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?Q2xheXRvbg==?=

    Peter Lawton Guest

    I personally think a lot companies will have to support 64bit after Vista
    comes out, it will be a mainstream product, extensively marketed and
    virtually every PC sold will have an x64 capable CPU.

    Besides I can't see all the hardware and software companies missing out on
    the chance to sell lots of new x64 compatible products, although I'm sure
    they'll be much less keen to write drivers or free updates for all their old
    32bit products people have already bought.

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Oct 2, 2005
  17. Depends on how OEMs distribute their products, they might pre-install x64
    version on the system by default. I really can't decide if there will be a
    lot of dual booting of 32 bit and 64 Bit Vista because its still to early in
    development to judge Vista and Microsoft will be putting their money where
    their mouth is with Vista x64 bit as the platform that will be the linch pin
    that begins the transition to 64-bit computing and make it mainstream. I am
    sure users will get incentive they need because native device drivers will
    be released for it because the industry will see Vista and 64 bit as an
    opportunity to make money and market new versions of products with the
    "couple of nanoseconds faster" reason to choose it instead of 32 bit. Its
    really a combination of things that culminate the success of x64 Windows
    next year, Windows Vista, hardware manufacturers developing drivers that
    will target the platform specifically, new software products designed
    specifically for x64 and of course lots of marketing.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 3, 2005
  18. Many thanks to all for replying here.

    As for a dual boot, I did actually consider this, however I am now running
    all my applications (except ZBrush who are already working on a fix), all my
    drivers (except my Creative Nomad Jukebox 3, creative are working on this as
    well) on XP-64 anyway. I do have an older PC which runs Windows 2000, but it
    would entail moving my printer and my creative devices into another room
    (which I've also considered).

    In other words the ONLY device that would not work on my new setup would be
    the Lexmark X1180 printer and I have absolutely no intention on creating a
    dual-boot system or running an older PC just for that !!!

    To be honest, I use the scanner a lot more than the printer, if there was a
    way I could get the scanner working at least that would be a start !

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2xheXRvbg==?=, Oct 3, 2005