Printer - Circular Reference

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jeff Gaines, Jul 10, 2010.

  1. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    I have an odd situation in respect of an HP Deskjet.

    It is physically connected to my main PC which now runs XP x64. It is
    shared so it appears on the laptop as 'auto HP deskjet'. The main PC then
    picks that up and installs it on the main machine as 'auto HP deskjet from
    laptop'. This then seems to go back and forth with additional printers
    added (with copy 1, copy 2 etc.) until Windows decides enough is enough.
    The Event Viewer once contained several hundred entries relating to the
    deletion of ghost printers.

    When I reboot the main PC it always attempts to install printer drivers
    and fails. The printer works fine from both machines.

    Has anybody come across this / solved it?

    I did un-install it and re-install it but it made no difference.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 10, 2010

  2. Jeff Gaines

    GS Guest

    here is a quick kludge that may help if you are sharing printer nor
    files/folder from laptop:
    on you laptop, disable file and printer sharing
    that ought to stop the circular behaviour

    if you have to share files between the two, you can try go into laptop make
    sure the DeskJet copy on you laptop is not shared

    GS, Jul 12, 2010

  3. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 12/07/2010 in message <OZm#> GS wrote:

    >here is a quick kludge that may help if you are sharing printer nor
    >files/folder from laptop:
    >on you laptop, disable file and printer sharing
    >that ought to stop the circular behaviour
    >
    >if you have to share files between the two, you can try go into laptop make
    >sure the DeskJet copy on you laptop is not shared

    Many thanks GS :)

    I've gone back to x32 for now (I had some other issues too), I wonder if
    the HP x64 drivers aren't very good.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 13, 2010
  4. Jeff Gaines

    Allan Guest

    > I have an odd situation in respect of an HP Deskjet.
    >
    > It is physically connected to my main PC which now runs XP x64. It is
    > shared so it appears on the laptop as 'auto HP deskjet'. The main PC then
    > picks that up and installs it on the main machine as 'auto HP deskjet from
    > laptop'. This then seems to go back and forth with additional printers
    > added (with copy 1, copy 2 etc.) until Windows decides enough is enough.
    > The Event Viewer once contained several hundred entries relating to the
    > deletion of ghost printers.
    >
    > When I reboot the main PC it always attempts to install printer drivers
    > and fails. The printer works fine from both machines.
    >
    > Has anybody come across this / solved it?
    >
    > I did un-install it and re-install it but it made no difference.

    You could forget about printer sharing and get a dedicated printer for your
    laptop. The cost of inkjet cartridges can quickly become greater than the
    investment in the printer itself. For example, Dell sometimes gives a
    printer for free when you buy a laptop.

    Allan, Jul 15, 2010