    cards, nothing to great that costs a fortune cos most of the work i'll be
    doing for cheap.

    TIA................

    John Wilson, Jun 3, 2004

  2. John Wilson

    Bob Hatch Guest

    "John Wilson" <> wrote in message
    news:AsHvc.386$BT1.134@newsfe1-win
    > I'm going to start doing flyers and business cards for friends and
    > family businesses so I need a printer that can handle the printing of
    > business cards, nothing to great that costs a fortune cos most of the
    > work i'll be doing for cheap.
    >
    > TIA................

    If you're going to print at least 2000 pages per month of at least 50% in
    color try these folks.

    http://www.freecolorprinters.com

    When you fill in your application if you don't agree to approx the above
    numbers you will not be accepted for the printer.
    --
    "Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
    this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke

    Bob Hatch, Jun 3, 2004

  3. John Wilson

    YoYo Guest

    Business cards are best printed with a laser printer b&w or color. Flyers
    can also work well in color laser however if photos are involved then thats
    a diffrent catagory..

    YoYo, Jun 3, 2004
  4. John Wilson

    leo Guest

    "YoYo" < your.business.com> wrote in message
    > Business cards are best printed with a laser printer b&w or color. Flyers
    > can also work well in color laser however if photos are involved then

    thats
    > a diffrent catagory..
    >

    > "John Wilson" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm going to start doing flyers and business cards for friends and

    family
    > > businesses so I need a printer that can handle the printing of business
    > > cards, nothing to great that costs a fortune cos most of the work i'll

    be
    > > doing for cheap.
    > >
    > > TIA................

    Color lasers do a pretty good job for brochure with pictures......unless
    you're look for art book quality. My Okidata laser has a glossy finish, even
    on text.

    As for using inkjets, I wouldn't use them for business cards. You might
    check out R800 which uses pigment ink but I'm not sure if it wouldn't smudge
    when contact with water.

    leo, Jun 3, 2004
  5. John Wilson

    Guest

    John Wilson <> wrote:
    > I'm going to start doing flyers and business cards for friends and family
    > businesses so I need a printer that can handle the printing of business
    > cards, nothing to great that costs a fortune cos most of the work i'll be
    > doing for cheap.

    Lots of printers can handle business cards, but if you want a fast
    printer, it will cost you some major bucks. Frankly, your friends would
    probably be better off going to a place like Staples or Kinkos where
    they can get business cards printed probably for much less money and
    time than it would cost by having you do it.

    , Jun 4, 2004
  6. John Wilson

    Frank ess Guest

    John Wilson <> wrote:
    > I'm going to start doing flyers and business cards for friends and

    family
    > businesses so I need a printer that can handle the printing of

    business
    > cards, nothing to great that costs a fortune cos most of the work i'll

    be
    > doing for cheap.

    The way this works out is: either you will be taking advantage of
    friends and family by obligating them to use you as a business-card
    maker, or they will be taking advantage of you by making you redo tiny
    adjustments, when they would not do so in transactions with a *real*
    printer.

    In either case, it will be a one-time deal. You will get fed up at the
    amount of time and money investment required, they will not want such
    shoddy design and finished work a second time.

    That means your investment in a printer with sufficient capabilities
    (other than inkjet, that is) better be justified on some basis other
    than business cards for friends and family. Plus which, if you use the
    perforated sheets (like Avery) you produce cheap-looking stuff. You
    could trim to smooth edges by hand, to make it seem even cheaper, or get
    a nice paper trimmer ($40 and up), but... Look at a stack of real
    printer business cards: same size, smooth edges, stack very attractively
    on the counter and in dispensers. You will not be able to give that to
    your customers.

    If you don't mind being a little deceptive, take their orders to a real
    printer, and deliver as if it were your work. Tell the customers it cost
    a little more than expected. Or subsidize them. Make it easy on
    yourself.

    At bottom, your generosity is going to cost you more money and
    aggravation than it is worth.

    On the other hand, if you are driven to make business cards for your
    friends and family, and they don't mind accepting what you can produce,
    and you can't find any more useful way to spend your time, maybe it is
    worth it to you.

    Good luck,

    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jun 4, 2004
  7. John Wilson

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <GaKvc.419$>,
    leo <> wrote:
    >"YoYo" < your.business.com> wrote in message
    >> Business cards are best printed with a laser printer b&w or color. Flyers
    >> can also work well in color laser however if photos are involved then

    >thats
    >> a diffrent catagory..
    >>

    >> "John Wilson" <> wrote in message
    >> > I'm going to start doing flyers and business cards for friends and

    >family
    >> > businesses so I need a printer that can handle the printing of business
    >> > cards, nothing to great that costs a fortune cos most of the work i'll

    >be
    >> > doing for cheap.
    >> >
    >> > TIA................

    >Color lasers do a pretty good job for brochure with pictures......unless
    >you're look for art book quality. My Okidata laser has a glossy finish, even
    >on text.
    >
    >As for using inkjets, I wouldn't use them for business cards. You might
    >check out R800 which uses pigment ink but I'm not sure if it wouldn't smudge
    >when contact with water.

    For my two cents DIY business cards look really cheesy. If you are
    trying to impress, get them done by a print shop or an internet
    service,
    --
    Al Dykes

    Al Dykes, Jun 5, 2004