printed color way off from screen color

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Keith Wiley, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. Keith Wiley

    Keith Wiley Guest

    I'm having a major color-matching issue. I recently bought an Epson
    Stylus Photo 820. I'm working on a Powerbook Pismo. Regardless of what
    program I display a particular image in, it only varies slightly depending
    on the precise color-management profiles being used. However, the
    printout is really red (or magenta). It mean it's pretty far off. The
    red areas in the printout are slightly red on screen, soft, realistic,
    managable. The printout is basically ruined.

    What's the trick here? How do people get their screens and their printers
    to agree?

    Any help appreciated. Thank you.

    Keith Wiley
    http://www.unm.edu/~keithw http://www.mp3.com/KeithWiley

    "Yet mark his perfect self-contentment, and hence learn his lesson,
    that to be self-contented is to be vile and ignorant, and that to
    aspire is better than to be blindly and impotently happy."
    -- Edwin A. Abbott, Flatland
    Keith Wiley, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Keith Wiley

    Robertwgross Guest

    Keith wrote:
    >I'm having a major color-matching issue. I recently bought an Epson
    >Stylus Photo 820. ...

    You might print a test page on the Epson printer to see if its cartridge is
    running correctly on all colors.

    You don't state what image editor program you use, so it might be some funky
    one that does not do color management correctly.

    ---Bob Gross---
    Robertwgross, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Keith Wiley

    Keith Wiley Guest

    > You don't state what image editor program you use, so it might be some funky
    > one that does not do color management correctly.

    Photoshop 7. I'm slightly unsure which color profile to use for the
    workspace, but like I said, altering those settings only has minor
    effects on the screen appearance. No setting makes the screen accurately
    represent the printout.

    Keith Wiley, Aug 21, 2003
  4. Keith Wiley

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: Keith Wiley

    >I'm having a major color-matching issue.
    > ... the printout is really red (or magenta).

    Exactly how are you printing, ie, what commands are you using in the Epson
    driver?

    If you print using color management and also leave the Epson driver on the
    colors get "translated" twice. The tell-tale sign of this is the strong
    magenta cast, so perhaps this is what you're doing?

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Aug 21, 2003
  5. Keith Wiley <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I'm having a major color-matching issue. I recently bought an Epson
    > Stylus Photo 820. I'm working on a Powerbook Pismo. Regardless of what
    > program I display a particular image in, it only varies slightly depending
    > on the precise color-management profiles being used. However, the
    > printout is really red (or magenta). It mean it's pretty far off. The
    > red areas in the printout are slightly red on screen, soft, realistic,
    > managable. The printout is basically ruined.
    >
    > What's the trick here? How do people get their screens and their printers
    > to agree?
    >
    > Any help appreciated. Thank you.

    > Keith Wiley
    > http://www.unm.edu/~keithw http://www.mp3.com/KeithWiley

    Go to G Ballard's site and follow his instructions step by step and TO THE LETTER:

    http://www.gballard.net/nca.html

    Frank
    Frank Ehrlich, Aug 21, 2003
  6. "Keith Wiley" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Bill Hilton wrote:
    >
    > > >From: Keith Wiley

    > > >I'm having a major color-matching issue.
    > > > ... the printout is really red (or magenta).

    > > Exactly how are you printing, ie, what commands are you using in the

    Epson
    > > driver?

    > Good heavens. I'm not sending commands to the driver directly. I'm using
    > software. Basically, I airbrush and level-adjust and contrast-adjust the
    > image in Photoshop till it looks good on screen (which is an LCD powerbook
    > screen).

    <snip>

    Most LCD screens have poor color rendition. That may be your problem.
    Marvin Margoshes, Aug 25, 2003