  1. Swingman

    Swingman Guest

    I noticed recently on a couple of 8x10's I printed that the image was not exactly rectangular - it was pinched a little on one end (only about 1/8 inch). I wonder if anyone has experienced this? I've been printing from Digital Image Pro 10. Could it be the editor, or is it more likely a printer issue? I use an Epson Stylus 880 which is a 3 color + black system with no "edge to edge" capability.
    Swingman, Nov 12, 2004

  2. Swingman

    Alan Meyer Guest

    "Swingman" <> wrote in message news:...
    I noticed recently on a couple of 8x10's I printed that the image was not exactly
    rectangular - it was pinched a little on one end (only about 1/8 inch). I wonder if
    anyone has experienced this? I've been printing from Digital Image Pro 10. Could it be
    the editor, or is it more likely a printer issue? I use an Epson Stylus 880 which is a 3
    color + black system with no "edge to edge" capability.

    Don't know the answer to your question, but I would hazard a
    guess that it's the printer rather than the software. It seems odd
    that a computer program would be out of adjustment by an eigth
    inch. That's just not a digital kind of thing to do.

    You might write or call Epson tech support, or search their
    website, or check one of the printer newsgroups. There might
    be a screw you can turn or something like that to straighten things
    out.

    Alan
    Alan Meyer, Nov 12, 2004

  3. Swingman

    Swingman Guest

    > Don't know the answer to your question, but I would hazard a
    > guess that it's the printer rather than the software. It seems odd
    > that a computer program would be out of adjustment by an eigth
    > inch. That's just not a digital kind of thing to do.
    >
    > You might write or call Epson tech support, or search their
    > website, or check one of the printer newsgroups. There might
    > be a screw you can turn or something like that to straighten things
    > out.
    >
    > Alan

    I made another print and examined it carefully. What is happening is the image is slightly smaller than 8x10 (1/8" less in both height and width so it IS rectangular) and it slightly twisted on the page. The latter I think could be a paper feed issue, i.e. the paper is not pulled through the printer exactly straight. I don't know why the image would not be exactly 8"x10" though.
    Swingman, Nov 15, 2004
  4. Swingman

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Swingman"

    > What is happening is the image is slightly smaller than 8x10
    > (1/8" less in both height and width so it IS rectangular)
    >
    > I don't know why the image would
    >not be exactly 8"x10" though.

    Dunno the specifics of your printer model, but some of them need a bit of extra
    room at the bottom of the page to grab the paper sheet. For example one
    printer I own needs 14 mm ... so if I want to print an 8x10 centered on 8.5 x
    11" paper the printer complains since I want an even 12.5 mm margin on the
    bottom and top while the printer wants 14 mm on the side fed into the rollers
    and 11 mm on the top.

    An image like this will get clipped if you accept the warning (about the amount
    you are seeing), or you can check to see if your printer has a box for
    'maximize area' or something like that, which will attempt to print on the
    extra area but with less quality. Some papers do not allow this 'maximize
    area' setting.
    Bill Hilton, Nov 15, 2004
  5. Swingman

    Alan Meyer Guest

    "Swingman" <> wrote in message

    > I don't know why the image would not be exactly 8"x10" though.

    That doesn't surprise me at all. An eighth inch off seems
    pretty good to me. Bill's explanation about margins seems
    to me to be a real possibility, but even if there is enough
    room for the margins, these devices are correlating a particular
    number of pixels per inch with a particular number of dots per
    inch, through several different software programs (the image
    editor or printing program, the printer device driver on the
    computer, and the software in the printer itself), and giving
    instructions to a piece of mass manufactured hardware.

    It would be surprising to me if everything came out much
    better. 1/8 inch in 8 inches is off by a factor of 1/64. That's
    not bad for multiple layers of software and hardware translations.

    Back in the photo days you could get prints from various
    sources and I don't think they were always exactly the same
    size either.

    I guess what surprises me most about digital photography
    is not what goes wrong, but how amazingly well everything
    goes. The number of bits that can flipped, never mind the
    number of moving electrons, is a mind boggling number. And
    yet you press the button and a picture of your wife appears on
    the LCD.

    Amazing!

    Alan
    Alan Meyer, Nov 15, 2004
  6. Swingman

    Swingman Guest

    "Alan Meyer" <> wrote in message news:eR9md.1939$...
    > "Swingman" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I don't know why the image would not be exactly 8"x10" though.

    > It would be surprising to me if everything came out much
    > better. 1/8 inch in 8 inches is off by a factor of 1/64. That's
    > not bad for multiple layers of software and hardware translations.

    That's an interesting thought, and makes me wonder if others notice slight variations in size when they print photos, too? Does this become more apparent as the print size increases?
    Swingman, Nov 16, 2004