"Print to File" - Can this be used to transfer between printers & formats?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John S., Feb 6, 2004.

  1. John S.

    John S. Guest

    I've never figured out how one can use the "print to file"
    option in Windows - ie once you've used this option where does
    the file go and how do you use it once created?

    I've been wondering if this file is in some kind of general
    Windows format or if it is specific to a particular printer at
    the time of creation?

    Is it possible to create such a file from some application and
    send the file to someone else who has a different brand of
    printer and who doesn't have the application that created the
    image, and have them be able to print it on their printer?

    eg, could you "print to file" a document created in Publisher and
    send it to someone who doesn't have Publisher, and who has a
    different model of printer anyway, and have them be able to print
    the image?

    Any ideas?

    Cheers, John S

    John S., Feb 6, 2004

  2. John S.

    Alan Howard Guest

    You can print to a file and then use copy /b <filename>.prn <port_name> to
    copy the binary file to a printer sitting on the named port.

    Alan

    Alan Howard, Feb 6, 2004

  3. John S.

    Alan Howard Guest

    I should also add that you don't need to rely on the 'Print to file' option
    in the program you're trying to print from - you can add a new printer of a
    specific type on the FILE: port and when you select this printer (in Word or
    whatever) it'll automatically pop up asking for a path and filelname etc.
    Just pick up the resulting file, cart it to the computer with access to the
    appopriate printer and proceed as below. It's been yeas since I've done this
    but I think that's the guts of it.

    Alan

    Alan Howard, Feb 6, 2004
  4. John S.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > I've never figured out how one can use the "print to file"
    > option in Windows - ie once you've used this option where does
    > the file go and how do you use it once created?
    >
    > I've been wondering if this file is in some kind of general
    > Windows format or if it is specific to a particular printer at
    > the time of creation?
    >
    > Is it possible to create such a file from some application and
    > send the file to someone else who has a different brand of
    > printer and who doesn't have the application that created the
    > image, and have them be able to print it on their printer?
    >
    > eg, could you "print to file" a document created in Publisher and
    > send it to someone who doesn't have Publisher, and who has a
    > different model of printer anyway, and have them be able to print
    > the image?

    The file is not a file that can be opened in any common application - it
    is probably a GDI dump.

    Best way to transfer files is to use PDF - with one of the shareware PDF
    creators like pdf995

    or if you have a postscript printer driver, it can produce a file in
    postscript.

    Mainlander, Feb 6, 2004
  5. John S.

    AD. Guest

    > You can print to a file and then use copy /b <filename>.prn <port_name> to
    > copy the binary file to a printer sitting on the named port.

    Ahhh, memories of old AutoCAD plot spooling scripts come flooding back :)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 6, 2004