    Chris

    --
    Chris Klug

    Chris Klug, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Chris Klug

    Lionel Guest

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:02:19 -0700, in
    <>, Chris Klug
    <> said:

    >Hello all...
    >
    >What is the largest high-quality print one could reasonably expect to
    >get out of an image shot from a 10D? I saw some prints in a camera store
    >that purported to come from a 10D and an Epson 2200 printer; they seemed
    >to be 13 x 19 or close to it and they looked great. I would have assumed
    >that you couldn't get an image that large from that camera...

    I have no trouble believing that. 13x19" works out to about 157DPI,
    which should print quite well on an inkjet. Many photographers feel that
    you need 300DPI for good print quality, but in practice, I doubt that
    many people could tell the difference (especially if you choose your
    source carefully ;).
    If you're willing to carefully enlarge in Photoshop, I'm of the opinion
    that you could get acceptable prints at quite a lot larger than 13x19".

    Lionel, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Chris Klug

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hello all...
    >
    > What is the largest high-quality print one could reasonably expect to
    > get out of an image shot from a 10D? I saw some prints in a camera store
    > that purported to come from a 10D and an Epson 2200 printer; they seemed
    > to be 13 x 19 or close to it and they looked great. I would have assumed
    > that you couldn't get an image that large from that camera...
    >
    > Chris

    I have seen reports of people having 16x20s made with great results. You
    will probably have to interpolate some but not much...

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Aug 13, 2003
  4. Nice part about the 10D for enlarging is the low noise.

    Using Genuine Fractals is recommended (by
    me at least) for all printing above 8x10.

    I'd also recommend a Neat Image pass. It can
    provide noise reductions of 70 to 90%, with
    no loss of sharpness (if you run it correctly),
    in my experience applying it to both digital
    and scanned-film images.

    Stan

    Stanley Krute, Aug 13, 2003
  5. Chris Klug

    gsum Guest

    I can get 12x18 from my D100 (which is very similar
    in quality to the 10D) with excellent levels of detail.
    I have produced prints up to 24x36 inches from
    interpolated images. The prints are soft but look OK
    when framed and viewed from about 3 or 4 feet.
    If you need more detail and you have a suitable
    subject such as a landcape you can take several shots
    and stitch them.

    Graham

    gsum, Aug 13, 2003
  6. Chris Klug

    Alan F Cross Guest

    200dpi will produce an image 15" x 10", which is fine. You can even crop
    the image and still get that size at an acceptable 150dpi, or
    alternatively enlarge to 20" x 13". You would typically view this image
    at 12" - 20" distance.

    If you enlarge to twice this size, you will view it probably at twice
    the distance (unless you are a photo judge!), so you *don't need any
    more pixels*.

    This is why I think 6MP is probably a sensible ceiling for consumer and
    pro-sumer cameras.

    n message <3f39ec59$>, gsum <>
    writes

    --
    Alan F Cross

    Alan F Cross, Aug 13, 2003
  7. Chris Klug

    Mick Ruthven Guest

    I'm curious about why you recommend using NeatImage on images with very low
    noise. I have a G2 which certainly has more noise than a 10D and I have
    quite good 12x18 prints from it with no noise showing at all. Of course I
    use NeatImage for ISO 200 and 400 with the G2.

    Mick Ruthven, Aug 13, 2003
  8. Chris Klug

    Dreamer Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > >From: Chris Klug

    > >What is the largest high-quality print one could reasonably expect to
    > >get out of an image shot from a 10D?

    > I know several pros who claim they get up to 20 x 30" prints with their 6

    Mpix
    > digital cameras (Nikon D100 and Canon D60 or 10D). In each case they

    resize
    > the files using either Miranda's stair interpolation or the Genuine

    Fractals
    > plug-in and they use sophisticated sharpening techniques in Photoshop,

    usually
    > Edge Sharpening of the L channel in LAB mode. Basically they are wringing

    all
    > they can out of the files with a high-end workflow, which many people

    don't
    > have the skills to do.

    I have seen some hugeacious prints over at Calumet Photo which, IIRC, the
    digital camera guy told me were more or less raw prints from a Fuji S2. They
    were really nice. As to what "more or less" means, I couldn't say, nor do I
    know what method was used to enlarge them other than that Photoshop was
    involved. They were easily 20x30, perhaps larger. (They were made on one of
    the big Epson printers, not a desktop model.)

    Dreamer, Aug 13, 2003
  9. Chris Klug

    JC Dill Guest

    On 13 Aug 2003 15:50:48 GMT, dy (Bill Hilton)
    wrote:

    >>From: Chris Klug

    >>What is the largest high-quality print one could reasonably expect to
    >>get out of an image shot from a 10D?

    >I know several pros who claim they get up to 20 x 30" prints with their 6 Mpix
    >digital cameras (Nikon D100 and Canon D60 or 10D). In each case they resize
    >the files using either Miranda's stair interpolation or the Genuine Fractals
    >plug-in and they use sophisticated sharpening techniques in Photoshop, usually
    >Edge Sharpening of the L channel in LAB mode. Basically they are wringing all
    >they can out of the files with a high-end workflow, which many people don't
    >have the skills to do.

    Can you point to resources where one can learn about these techniques?
    I have 24 shots that are at 1024x768 after cropping (taken with an
    Olympus E100RS) and I have buyers who want ~8x10 prints if I can get
    acceptable quality prints from these files.

    I'm working on this project primarily to determine if I can get
    acceptable quality prints from the Oly or if I need to upgrade to a
    Canon 1D (I need a fast fps setting, I use the Oly's 15 fps setting
    much of the time) for taking professional quality pictures of horses.

    >If you don't do any resizing you can get good 10 x 15" prints on something like
    >the Epson 2200 @ 204 ppi, but the people who are printing much larger than this
    >are usually resizing (carefully) and sharpening (carefully). The digital files
    >are very smooth and grain-free so they enlarge better than film scans, I've
    >found.

    I was given an Epson Stylus 1520. I'm also trying to determine if
    it's worth getting it working (clogged print heads, paper feed
    problems), and if it's a good enough printer to enable me to get good
    prints from the Oly. The Epson docs say this printer can print up to
    1440 dpi.

    Thanks!

    jc

    JC Dill, Aug 14, 2003
  10. Chris Klug

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >> dy (Bill Hilton)

    >>I know several pros who claim they get up to 20 x 30" prints with their 6
    >>Mpix digital cameras (Nikon D100 and Canon D60 or 10D). In each case
    >>they resize the files using either Miranda's stair interpolation or the
    >>Genuine Fractals plug-in and they use sophisticated sharpening
    >>techniques in Photoshop, usually Edge Sharpening of the L channel
    >>in LAB mode.

    >From: JC Dill
    >
    >Can you point to resources where one can learn about these techniques?

    http://www.fredmiranda.com/SI/index.html for stair interpolation and a
    comparison of other solutions, including Genuine Fractals.

    For edge sharpening, I first saw it described in "Photoshop Bible" by Deke
    McClelland several years ago. Bill Atkinson has developed a Photoshop Action
    that does most of the work for you, you can get a copy off the CD that comes
    with the book "Photoshop Artistry" by Barry Haynes, or you can probably do a
    Google search on "edge sharpening Photoshop" and find instructions.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 14, 2003
  11. Chris Klug

    wes Guest

    I had a 24"x40" made of a picture of a portrait that was sent in as a
    jpeg(fine) file from the 10D. It was done from a web site (jumboimage) so I
    have no idea how they got the size. It is a terrific job and looks almost as
    good as the original. It will look better after I frame it.

    "HRosita" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have seen 20x30" prints from a D60 at PMA last year when it was

    introduced.

    wes, Aug 15, 2003