Print sharing on home wireless

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by BRC, Feb 16, 2007.

  1. BRC

    BRC Guest

    Hi All
    Net configuration
    1 xp desktop with Canon MFP attached: Print sharing enabled
    guest acct is enabled on the desktop and no password is required (just
    username "guest")
    2 xp pro laptops both wireless
    Linksys wireless router wep key enabled

    Here is my problem. when my wife brings home her laptop it boots up,
    sees the wifi, she is able to access net etc no problems. However when
    she tries to print to our home network she gets error message "printer
    not available or you may not have permission for this
    resource" (paraphased) etc.
    To correct this I have to "search for computers" , enter the desktop
    computer name, then the laptop will find the desktop. When I click on
    the desktop it prompts me for user name-password.
    I enter "guest" in user name now I can access the printer. My question
    is why doesn't it just ask for network sign on in the first place
    rather than having to go thru all this to get to the printer?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    BRC

    BRC, Feb 16, 2007