Print server with Windows 2003 64 bits ? PSE HELP

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Olivier, Aug 31, 2007.

  1. Olivier

    Olivier Guest

    Hello,

    We are expecting to buy a Windows 2003 R2 print server, but a 64 bits
    based system

    I am making a first analyze, and need your help

    All of our printers will be configured on the server, and then shared
    to be acceded by the Windows XP client with point and click

    Here is the catch: Our Windows XP are 32 bits system, so I expect point
    and click will not work, because 64 bits drivers installed on the 2003
    server will not run on them

    Second potential problem: Some of our printers are old, and the 64 bits
    drivers not exist. So it will be not possible to use them on our print
    server

    Best regards,

    Olivier
    Olivier, Aug 31, 2007

  2. Hi,
    for printers, that are supported to run under x64, you can add additional
    drivers on the printer server (x32 drivers) to support 32 bit plattforms.
    (open printers ->on main menue open "Files ?"-> open Server
    properties ->open drivers -> ADD DRIVER)
    the goal for that is, if a x32 windows connects to that printer and has no
    driver installed, it can download from the server and install.
    the appropriate driver can too be installed on the x32 pc manually.

    for older printers, you can install a compatible driver, for example if the
    printer can print PCL or any other emulation, you can use a PCL compatible
    driver (HP or else)

    another way would be to connect these older printers to a x32 pc and share
    it on this machine.

    jk
    Juergen Kluth, Aug 31, 2007