    configured my software firewalls. Connection has been good until I installed
    a print server to my system. Now my Remote Desktop connection no longer
    works. Any ideas?

    ME Johnson, Jul 16, 2005

  2. ME Johnson

    ME Johnson Guest

    No ones had this problem huh?

    ME Johnson, Jul 20, 2005

  3. ME Johnson

    Clark Guest

    No, I certainly haven't had the problem.

    The only thing I could think of that would allow a print server to mess with
    you configuration might be and address change to accommodate the new device.
    I also don't know what port it might use, but I suppose there may be one in
    common.

    Clark

    Clark, Jul 20, 2005
  4. ME Johnson

    ME Johnson Guest

    I'll bet thats it. I had to assign an IP for it to work and need to set the
    router for that IP also

    ME Johnson, Jul 20, 2005
  5. ME Johnson

    ME Johnson Guest

    Nope, didn't work. The only other thing I did was put a wireless Mouse and
    Keyboard on the system...

    ME Johnson, Jul 21, 2005
  6. ME Johnson

    Malke Guest

    ME Johnson wrote:

    > Nope, didn't work. The only other thing I did was put a wireless Mouse
    > and Keyboard on the system...

    Then take them off and see if that makes a difference. Could be
    interference.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Jul 21, 2005
  7. ME Johnson

    ME Johnson Guest

    That did not correct it....Would the print server and router being close to
    each other matter? I can connect with a NAT IP when the computers are in the
    same room but it will not connect to the true IP which I find on
    whatismyip.com

    ME Johnson, Jul 22, 2005
  8. ME Johnson

    Malke Guest

    ME Johnson wrote:

    > That did not correct it....Would the print server and router being
    > close to each other matter? I can connect with a NAT IP when the
    > computers are in the same room but it will not connect to the true IP
    > which I find on whatismyip.com

    Check your DNS settings.

    Mlake
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Malke, Jul 22, 2005
  9. ME Johnson

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Malke" <> wrote in message
    > ME Johnson wrote:
    >
    > > That did not correct it....Would the print server and router being
    > > close to each other matter? I can connect with a NAT IP when the
    > > computers are in the same room but it will not connect to the true IP
    > > which I find on whatismyip.com
    > >

    > Check your DNS settings.
    >
    > Mlake
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I missed the first part, but if you are using a router for NAT, it
    typically will not let you connect to the WAN side address that
    you would get from "whatsmyip.com". That is part of the
    protection the routers provide -- they do not accept connections
    unless it is part of an ongoing "conversation" (sort of like dial out
    only phones). I have my router set to discard the icmp echo
    (Ping) from the WAN side so it is mostly invisible unless I
    originate the connection.

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Jul 23, 2005
  10. ME Johnson

    ME Johnson Guest

    You can open a port and bypass the router firewall, which is what I have
    done and it used to work fine. My problem did not start until I put the
    wireless print server on. Must have something to do with frequencies.

    The print server is using a set DNS but the router is automatic.

    ME Johnson, Jul 25, 2005