Print quality - MINOLTA DIMAGE Z1

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Andy Hewitt, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. Andy Hewitt

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    john h <> wrote:

    > Has anybody got any experience of the quality of prints when the above
    > camera is being used at 10x optical zoom i.e. would you still get a good
    > print at A4 size.

    I find them acceptable myself. However, you do need to put them into
    context. To get an equivelant zoom in SLR, you need a 500mm lens, which
    you can get a decent one for the same price as the Z1.

    It therefore follows that the quality of the Z1 lens is not going to be
    that high, but IMHO it is very acceptable indeed for the price you pay
    for the entire camera.

    I printed images from my Olympus 1.3mp camera onto A4, and was always
    very pleased with the results. The Z1 produces equally good images.

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
    Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

    Andy Hewitt, Jul 20, 2004

  2. Andy Hewitt

    CeeBee Guest

    "john h" <> wrote in rec.photo.digital:

    > Has anybody got any experience of the quality of prints when the above
    > camera is being used at 10x optical zoom i.e. would you still get a
    > good print at A4 size.

    The Z1 is a 3.2 Megapixel camera with max 2048x1536. The reasonable max
    print you'll get out of that is 13x18 at full rez, fine and no zoom. I
    think you'll have to compromise if you want bigger prints, and seriously
    compromise at A4..

    --
    CeeBee

    "I don't know half of you
    half as well as I should like;
    and I like less than half of you
    half as well as you deserve."

    CeeBee, Jul 20, 2004

  3. Andy Hewitt

    Zebedee Guest

    "CeeBee" <> wrote in message
    > "john h" <> wrote in rec.photo.digital:
    >
    > > Has anybody got any experience of the quality of prints when the above
    > > camera is being used at 10x optical zoom i.e. would you still get a
    > > good print at A4 size.

    > The Z1 is a 3.2 Megapixel camera with max 2048x1536. The reasonable max
    > print you'll get out of that is 13x18 at full rez, fine and no zoom. I
    > think you'll have to compromise if you want bigger prints, and seriously
    > compromise at A4..

    Rubbish! 3.2mp is great for A4 prints. For bigger, you do need more MP
    though.

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)

    Zebedee, Jul 20, 2004
  4. Andy Hewitt

    john h Guest

    Has anybody got any experience of the quality of prints when the above
    camera is being used at 10x optical zoom i.e. would you still get a good
    print at A4 size.

    john h

    john h, Jul 20, 2004
  5. CeeBee wrote:
    []
    > The Z1 is a 3.2 Megapixel camera with max 2048x1536. The reasonable
    > max print you'll get out of that is 13x18 at full rez, fine and no
    > zoom. I think you'll have to compromise if you want bigger prints,
    > and seriously compromise at A4..

    I take it you mean 13 x 18 cm and not 13 x 18 inches?

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 20, 2004
  6. Yeh - this is a very good point

    Partly because I thought professional image processing (as opposed to
    domestic/home based image processing) kit should be able to use the base
    image and upsize

    Is there a view on this or some facts available?

    Some high street photographers can take a mangy mangled print, do a repair
    job and provide an enlarged copy that looks pretty impressive. Can't they
    do the same with digital images?

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 21, 2004
  7. Andy Hewitt

    CeeBee Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-
    part.uk> wrote in rec.photo.digital:

    > I take it you mean 13 x 18 cm and not 13 x 18 inches?

    Yes. Sorry.

    --
    CeeBee

    EMH Mark I: "Stop breathing down my neck."
    EMH Mark II: "My breath is merely a simulation."
    EMH Mark I: "So is my neck. Stop it anyway."

    CeeBee, Jul 21, 2004
  8. Andy Hewitt

    CeeBee Guest

    "Zebedee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in rec.photo.digital:

    > Rubbish! 3.2mp is great for A4 prints. For bigger, you do need more MP
    > though.

    No, 3,4 Mp is not _great_ for A4 prints, it's acceptable, but far from
    optimal. Especially on the edges you can experience problems.

    CeeBee, Jul 21, 2004
  9. Andy Hewitt

    CeeBee Guest

    CeeBee <> wrote in rec.photo.digital: