print comparison - club photo and snapfish

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JC Dill, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. JC Dill

    JC Dill Guest

    Since both Club Photo and Snapfish offer a startup package with a
    small number of free 4x6 prints for a modest shipping charge, I placed
    a duplicate order with both to compare their product and service.

    I resized and upsampled (when necessary) my images (shot with an Oly
    E100RS, some are cropped others are full frame) to 300 dpi for a 4x6
    or 4x5.333 size (depending on the cropping) and then uploaded the
    files at roughly the same time (very early AM on 9/9/03) and placed
    print orders (1 print of each image, 15 images total). The process of
    placing the order was a bit awkward for both sites, but equally so.
    So far, no big difference between them.

    Club Photo sent me unrequested marketing email shortly after I created
    my account, and then another unrequested email suggesting I order
    pictures after I created the photo album. However, they confirmed my
    order minutes after it was placed. I received an email the following
    afternoon (Wed, 10 Sep 2003 20:50:45 -0500), telling me that my order
    had been filled and shipped.

    Snapfish took longer to confirm the order, and much longer to fulfill
    it, sending me email telling me it had been filled and shipped (Sat,
    13 Sep 2003 22:29:22 -0700 (PDT)).

    Both of them spammed me on 9/18. This makes 3 spams for Club Photo, 1
    for Snapfish. So, I conclude that Club Photo sends a lot more spam
    than Snapfish. I'm going to "unsubscribe" from this marketing crap
    that I never subscribed for and see if either/both honor my
    preferences or not.

    However, Club Photo fulfills orders much faster than Snapfish.

    I picked up the prints (they were shipped to a mailbox) today.

    Club Photo sends their prints in a paper holder (like you get when you
    have film developed) and they included 2 additional pages, one with
    order information on it, and one that was like a mini contact sheet.
    This paper packet was mailed inside a stiff cardboard mailer which
    made it very clear that the packet was supposed to be stiff and not
    folded.

    Snapfish also puts prints in a paper holder, but doesn't include any
    additional pages (receipt, contact sheet) in paper or print form.
    Their paper holder was then put in a regular paper envelope like you
    use when you are sending film to a photo lab. There was no cardboard
    stiffener or layer between the prints and the outside world, just 2
    paper envelopes.

    Club Photo wins the "mail package" vote hands down:

    Both envelopes were properly marked "photos, do not bend", but the
    Club Photo mailer was clearly superior in making it much more obvious
    that the item should not be bent, making it harder to bend it, and
    protecting the prints from being damaged even if they aren't bent.

    Finally, the print quality. Both printed crisp and sharp images with
    good color. However, the Club Photo images were accurate (as compared
    with the prints I had printed on an HP Inkjet printer on glossy photo
    paper), and the Snapfish images had either washed out highlights or
    too dark shadows.

    Final tally:

    Too much Spam: Both
    Fast order fulfillment: Club Photo
    Good shipment packaging: Club Photo
    Print quality: Club Photo

    I won't be ordering any more prints from Snapfish.

    My next test will be duplicate pictures from Club Photo and
    Shutterfly.

    jc

    JC Dill, Sep 23, 2003

  2. JC Dill

    Paddler Guest

    Take a look at Wal-Mart too. I found them to be better than ClubPhoto
    a few months ago.

    Paddler, Sep 23, 2003