Prime TV now on freeview

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Woger, Aug 16, 2009.

  1. Woger

    Woger Guest

    Woger, Aug 16, 2009

  2. Woger

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Aug 16, 2009

  3. Woger

    EMB Guest

    Woger wrote:

    > Yes announced on the 5:30 news on Sunday
    >
    > Here is also a link to some more info and is dated today the
    >

    > http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=103909&fm=newsmain,narts

    Thanks Woger. That is truly excellent news, although how it affects the
    programming on Prime[1] remains to be seen.

    [1] Most likely change will be Sky shifting anything worth watching on
    Prime to a pay channel.
    EMB, Aug 16, 2009
  4. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 20:39:42 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Woger wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes announced on the 5:30 news on Sunday
    >>
    >> Here is also a link to some more info and is dated today the
    >>

    >> http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=103909&fm=newsmain,narts

    >Thanks Woger. That is truly excellent news, although how it affects the
    >programming on Prime[1] remains to be seen.
    >
    >[1] Most likely change will be Sky shifting anything worth watching on
    >Prime to a pay channel.

    Why would they do that as Prime is already on the Analog channels
    Woger, Aug 16, 2009
  5. Woger

    Richard Guest

    Woger wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 20:39:42 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> Woger wrote:
    >>> Yes announced on the 5:30 news on Sunday
    >>>
    >>> Here is also a link to some more info and is dated today the
    >>>

    >>> http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=103909&fm=newsmain,narts

    >> Thanks Woger. That is truly excellent news, although how it affects the
    >> programming on Prime[1] remains to be seen.
    >>
    >> [1] Most likely change will be Sky shifting anything worth watching on
    >> Prime to a pay channel.

    > Why would they do that as Prime is already on the Analog channels

    Because it is now available nationwide via sat for free, and in an
    aspect ratio that suits most televisions as well
    Richard, Aug 16, 2009
  6. Woger

    EMB Guest

    Woger wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 20:39:42 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> Woger wrote:
    >>> Yes announced on the 5:30 news on Sunday
    >>>
    >>> Here is also a link to some more info and is dated today the
    >>>

    >>> http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=103909&fm=newsmain,narts

    >> Thanks Woger. That is truly excellent news, although how it affects the
    >> programming on Prime[1] remains to be seen.
    >>
    >> [1] Most likely change will be Sky shifting anything worth watching on
    >> Prime to a pay channel.

    > Why would they do that as Prime is already on the Analog channels

    Analog Prime isn't exactly widespread and is (relatively) soon to be
    defunct.
    EMB, Aug 16, 2009
  7. Woger

    Craig Sutton Guest

    Craig Sutton, Aug 16, 2009
  8. Woger

    Simon B Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > already up on satellite and DTT since 1a.m

    Yay - about time. Pity its only in SD - but hopefully HD will come soon.

    I see this is too new for http://www.freeviewnz.tv/ to mention.
    Simon B, Aug 16, 2009
  9. Woger

    Mutlley Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote:

    >"ofn01" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Woger" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Yes announced on the 5:30 news on Sunday
    >>>
    >>> Here is also a link to some more info and is dated today the
    >>>

    >>> http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=103909&fm=newsmain,narts

    >> Seems that it will be available from tomorrow
    >>
    >> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=8379
    >>

    >already up on satellite and DTT since 1a.m

    Some people don't sleep :)
    Mutlley, Aug 16, 2009
  10. On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 07:55:30 +1200, Simon B <> wrote:

    >Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>
    >> already up on satellite and DTT since 1a.m

    >Yay - about time. Pity its only in SD - but hopefully HD will come soon.
    >
    >I see this is too new for http://www.freeviewnz.tv/ to mention.

    It is available in HD now too.
    Stephen Worthington, Aug 17, 2009
  11. Woger

    Simon B Guest

    ofn01 wrote:
    > "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    > message news:...

    >>> Yay - about time. Pity its only in SD - but hopefully HD will come soon.
    >>>
    >>> I see this is too new for http://www.freeviewnz.tv/ to mention.

    >> It is available in HD now too.

    > Really? I just did a scan on our HD box and it came through as SD?

    The Prime signal on Freeview DVB-T is SD, the same as C4.

    They mention Prime on http://www.freeviewnz.tv/ now.
    Simon B, Aug 17, 2009
  12. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 18:40:49 +1200, "ofn01" <> wrote:

    >"Simon B" <> wrote in message
    >> ofn01 wrote:
    >>> "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >>> message news:...

    >>> Really? I just did a scan on our HD box and it came through as SD?

    >> The Prime signal on Freeview DVB-T is SD, the same as C4.

    Plus the Maori channel

    The Freeview site has it as HD..???

    http://www.freeviewnz.tv/whats_on_freeview/channels#

    Check the HD tab..

    Woger, Aug 17, 2009
  13. On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:44:41 +1200, "ofn01" <>
    wrote:

    >"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >message news:...

    >>>Yay - about time. Pity its only in SD - but hopefully HD will come soon.
    >>>
    >>>I see this is too new for http://www.freeviewnz.tv/ to mention.

    >> It is available in HD now too.

    >Really? I just did a scan on our HD box and it came through as SD?

    I meant FreeviewHD (DVB-T).
    Stephen Worthington, Aug 17, 2009
  14. Woger

    Mutlley Guest

    "ofn01" <> wrote:

    >"Woger" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 18:40:49 +1200, "ofn01" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Simon B" <> wrote in message

    >> Plus the Maori channel
    >>

    >> The Freeview site has it as HD..???
    >>
    >> http://www.freeviewnz.tv/whats_on_freeview/channels#
    >>

    >> Check the HD tab..
    >>

    >The term HD seems to have been overloaded for marketing purposes. Only
    >1,2,3,demo channels are actually HD.

    Some of the confusion maybe coursed by the fact that the STB outputs
    in 720P or 1080i and people see this on their TV when they switch and
    think it's being transmitted in HD..
    Mutlley, Aug 18, 2009
  15. Woger

    Richard Guest

    Mutlley wrote:

    >> The term HD seems to have been overloaded for marketing purposes. Only
    >> 1,2,3,demo channels are actually HD.
    >>

    > Some of the confusion maybe coursed by the fact that the STB outputs
    > in 720P or 1080i and people see this on their TV when they switch and
    > think it's being transmitted in HD..

    Thats a real pain since if you put out 1080i you are stuffing up the
    720p channels, and if its on 720p you are stuffing up the 1080i.

    Sadly on the ones that do have an auto output most tv's take forever to
    change resolution, and its worse if you are going thru a reciever since
    they have to re-lock onto the signal for the audio too. - 6-7 seconds a
    channel change for my mates one on auto - but its worth it to see TV2
    without interlace artifacts which you get when its doing 1080i output.
    Richard, Aug 19, 2009
  16. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:06:48 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Mutlley wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> The term HD seems to have been overloaded for marketing purposes. Only
    >>> 1,2,3,demo channels are actually HD.
    >>>

    >> Some of the confusion maybe coursed by the fact that the STB outputs
    >> in 720P or 1080i and people see this on their TV when they switch and
    >> think it's being transmitted in HD..

    >Thats a real pain since if you put out 1080i you are stuffing up the
    >720p channels, and if its on 720p you are stuffing up the 1080i.
    >
    >Sadly on the ones that do have an auto output most tv's take forever to
    >change resolution, and its worse if you are going thru a reciever since
    >they have to re-lock onto the signal for the audio too. - 6-7 seconds a
    >channel change for my mates one on auto - but its worth it to see TV2
    >without interlace artifacts which you get when its doing 1080i output.

    I think its ONLY TV 3 that does 1080i
    Woger, Aug 19, 2009
  17. Woger

    Richard Guest

    Woger wrote:

    > I think its ONLY TV 3 that does 1080i

    Yes, but on video sourced shows like the news, the deinterlacing in most
    settop boxes is crap so you get major artifacts outputting 720p, plus
    the loss of resolution that entails.

    And losing resolution of 720p shows to output as 1080i is also just stupid.
    Richard, Aug 21, 2009
  18. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 14:42:59 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Woger wrote:
    >>
    >> I think its ONLY TV 3 that does 1080i

    >Yes, but on video sourced shows like the news, the deinterlacing in most
    >settop boxes is crap so you get major artifacts outputting 720p, plus
    >the loss of resolution that entails.
    >
    >And losing resolution of 720p shows to output as 1080i is also just stupid.

    I just don't have a clue on what you are on about..??

    Are you referring to DVB-T or Sat..?

    as nothing add up with you comments at all.
    Woger, Aug 21, 2009
  19. Woger

    Richard Guest

    Woger wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 14:42:59 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> Woger wrote:
    >>> I think its ONLY TV 3 that does 1080i

    >> Yes, but on video sourced shows like the news, the deinterlacing in most
    >> settop boxes is crap so you get major artifacts outputting 720p, plus
    >> the loss of resolution that entails.
    >>
    >> And losing resolution of 720p shows to output as 1080i is also just stupid.

    > I just don't have a clue on what you are on about..??
    >
    > Are you referring to DVB-T or Sat..?
    >
    > as nothing add up with you comments at all.

    dvb-t of course - sat is all 576i so theres no problems like on -T

    What doesnt add up?
    Richard, Aug 21, 2009