    secondary master and slave.

    Thanks to all who have answered my previous queruies, and to anyone who has
    a look at this.
    Tappy Lappy, May 22, 2005

  2. Tappy Lappy

    old jon Guest

    "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy > wrote in message
    news:d6qnn5$l6d$-infra.bt.com...
    > How important is it that two HDDs should be primary master and slave, and
    > two CD/DVD drives should be
    > secondary master and slave.
    >
    > Thanks to all who have answered my previous queruies, and to anyone who
    > has a look at this.

    That`s the way windows likes it to be. Honest. best wishes..J
    old jon, May 22, 2005

  3. Tappy Lappy

    Guest

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:48:53 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy
    > wrote:

    |>How important is it that two HDDs should be primary master and slave, and
    |>two CD/DVD drives should be
    |>secondary master and slave.

    Basic answer:
    So the drive controller knows there are two, and where they are; so
    when it's time to read or write to either one it knows where it's at.

    --
    , May 23, 2005
  4. Tappy Lappy

    Tappy Lappy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:48:53 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy
    > > wrote:
    >
    > |>How important is it that two HDDs should be primary master and slave,
    > and
    > |>two CD/DVD drives should be
    > |>secondary master and slave.
    >
    > Basic answer:
    > So the drive controller knows there are two, and where they are; so
    > when it's time to read or write to either one it knows where it's at.

    Sorry to be a pain, but would this have something to do with my previous
    problem of getting the Bsod when trying to burn CDs from my secondary
    HD, but not from my primary if the drives were cabled wrongly?
    Tappy Lappy, May 23, 2005
  5. Tappy Lappy

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy > wrote:

    >How important is it that two HDDs should be primary master and slave, and
    >two CD/DVD drives should be
    >secondary master and slave.
    >
    >Thanks to all who have answered my previous queruies, and to anyone who has
    >a look at this.

    Not really that important at all with regard to that specific
    configuration.

    The following things are important:

    1. The boot drive should be the primary master.
    2. If a hard drive and a CD/DVD are on the same IDE channel then the
    hard drive should be the master and the CD/DVD the slave.

    So your drives could also be configured with one hard drive as master
    on the primary IDE and a CD/DVD as primary slave; and the second hard
    drive as master on the secondary IDE with another CD/DVD as secondary
    slave.

    In the early days of IDE controllers it used to be that the speed of
    the entire channel was determined by the slowest speed device on the
    that channel. So putting a high speed (hard drive) and a low speed
    (CD/DVD) on the same channel used to result in the hard drive being
    slowed down to the speed of the CD/DVD in terms of data throughput.
    That is no longer the case, and it hasn't been that way for at least
    the past 10 years, but the legend still persists.

    Hope this explains the situation.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    Ron Martell, May 23, 2005
  6. Tappy Lappy

    Guest

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 06:33:00 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy
    > wrote:

    |><> wrote in message
    |>> On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:48:53 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy

    |>> and
    |>>
    |>> Basic answer:
    |>> So the drive controller knows there are two, and where they are; so
    |>> when it's time to read or write to either one it knows where it's at.

    |>Sorry to be a pain, but would this have something to do with my previous
    |>problem of getting the Bsod when trying to burn CDs from my secondary
    |>HD, but not from my primary if the drives were cabled wrongly?

    You back? :)

    If cable'd wrongly, yes you would have problems, but would be seen
    anytime that drive was attempt'd to be accessed not just when burning
    CD's.

    If you can read and write to each drive they are set up correctly.

    Try forceaspi, might help you out with your CD problems.
    http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm
    -or might not-

    --
    , May 23, 2005