primary / secondary monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DL, Aug 17, 2007.

  1. DL

    DL Guest

    Hi.
    I am a church projectionist that uses powerpoint XP almost exclusively. I
    have a two-monitor system that allows me to have powerpoint in "presenter
    mode". Before you tell me to take this to the powerpoint newsgroup please
    hear me out. Powerpoint works fine in this mode. It is other programs like
    Windows media player that wind up showing the movie on the wrong monitor.
    My primary monitor is the same one that my projector is tied to. I can send
    the output of Powerpoint to whichever monitor that I wish; is there a way to
    do the same for other programs?

    Another somewhat related question. I am pretty sure I had this working
    correctly at one point, so I am curious if it is possible that one of the
    other users on my WinXP multi-user system might have messed with the
    settings somehow even though they were not in my password protected account.
    Could that be possible?

    Thanks in advance. I am somewhat restricted in that I cannot double-click
    on a movie and have it show up on the projection screens like I expect.
    They want to display on the secondary display only.

    Dave

    DL, Aug 17, 2007

  2. DL

    thanatoid Guest

    "DL" <> wrote in

    > Hi.
    > I am a church projectionist that uses powerpoint XP almost
    > exclusively. I have a two-monitor system that allows me to
    > have powerpoint in "presenter mode". Before you tell me to
    > take this to the powerpoint newsgroup please hear me out.
    > Powerpoint works fine in this mode. It is other programs
    > like Windows media player that wind up showing the movie on
    > the wrong monitor. My primary monitor is the same one that
    > my projector is tied to. I can send the output of
    > Powerpoint to whichever monitor that I wish; is there a way
    > to do the same for other programs?
    >
    > Another somewhat related question. I am pretty sure I had
    > this working correctly at one point, so I am curious if it
    > is possible that one of the other users on my WinXP
    > multi-user system might have messed with the settings
    > somehow even though they were not in my password protected
    > account. Could that be possible?
    >
    > Thanks in advance. I am somewhat restricted in that I
    > cannot double-click on a movie and have it show up on the
    > projection screens like I expect. They want to display on
    > the secondary display only.
    >
    > Dave

    There are probably a variety of solutions to this depending on
    just what was funked up. My knowledge is not sufficient to help
    you with fixing the machine's internals.

    But as a last resort you can just switch the monitor/projector
    cables when needed - or even buy a switch/splitter box or
    something.

    t.

    --
    "This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
    - illyria

    thanatoid, Aug 17, 2007