    Thanks

    Sheri Lee

    , Sep 9, 2007

  2. Guest

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 14:30:48 -0500, wrote:

    >Hi ya'll,
    >
    >My system is very slow all of a sudden, I looked around and saw
    >somewhere to check for PIO mode instead of DMA mode, and that is what
    >is wrong I think. I want to force it to 'DMA if availble', how can I
    >do this please?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Sheri Lee

    Oh I forgot to say this is Windows XP Home Edition, sorry ya'll

    Thanks

    , Sep 9, 2007

  3. ded Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 14:30:48 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >>Hi ya'll,
    >>
    >>My system is very slow all of a sudden, I looked around and saw
    >>somewhere to check for PIO mode instead of DMA mode, and that is what
    >>is wrong I think. I want to force it to 'DMA if availble', how can I
    >>do this please?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Sheri Lee

    > Oh I forgot to say this is Windows XP Home Edition, sorry ya'll
    >
    > Thanks

    Yes, XP will tumble it into PIO if there is a problem.
    It can be reset to DMA, but if there is an ongoing problem then XP
    will just kick it back into PIO, the cause has to be fixed.
    The worst case scenario is you have impending hard drive failure,
    at least in PIO mode you have a chance to back up data before a
    total failure occurs. But thats a worst case, it is probably something
    less drastic.
    Type your subject line into google and it will produce plenty of info
    most of what you need will be on first two pages.
    Or in google type: "DMA, PIO, problems" and plenty of reading will
    result.

    ded, Sep 9, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 21:29:10 +0100, "ded" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 14:30:48 -0500, wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi ya'll,
    >>>
    >>>My system is very slow all of a sudden, I looked around and saw
    >>>somewhere to check for PIO mode instead of DMA mode, and that is what
    >>>is wrong I think. I want to force it to 'DMA if availble', how can I
    >>>do this please?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>Sheri Lee

    >> Oh I forgot to say this is Windows XP Home Edition, sorry ya'll
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >Yes, XP will tumble it into PIO if there is a problem.
    >It can be reset to DMA, but if there is an ongoing problem then XP
    >will just kick it back into PIO, the cause has to be fixed.
    >The worst case scenario is you have impending hard drive failure,
    >at least in PIO mode you have a chance to back up data before a
    >total failure occurs. But thats a worst case, it is probably something
    >less drastic.
    >Type your subject line into google and it will produce plenty of info
    >most of what you need will be on first two pages.
    >Or in google type: "DMA, PIO, problems" and plenty of reading will
    >result.

    I would have done that but my system was too slow to use anything on
    drive C, it was taking 15 minutes for a browser to start up at all.
    Anyway I noticed I could uninstall the IDE controller and I figured if
    I did it would come back automaticly and it did, now it is Ultra DMA 6
    and seems OK.

    I think the cause was a bunch of power failures.

    Thanks for the suggestion anyway

    Sheri Lee

    , Sep 11, 2007