primary IDE burned out. How to install windows xp?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike245, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Mike245

    Mike245 Guest

    I have a slight challenge here. Long ago the primary IDE controller died
    on one of my computers. Somehow I managed to get windows 2k running on
    it, I believe windows saw itself as being on
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1). Now I'm trying to install XP on it
    with a different drive and I keep getting some NTLDR errors like how the
    path isnt correct.

    So I goto the recovery console and do a "map arc" only to see
    scsi(1)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1). Huh? There aint no scsi drive or
    card anywhere near here.

    The current setup is the drive as master and the CD as slave on the 2nd
    IDE channel. I cant really replace the MB because its a wacky mini-ATX
    and finding one that works with my 200fsb duron will probably be expensive.

    I really want this to work as I could use a nice spare computer to beat
    around with. So I loaded Knoppix on there and changed boot.ini to
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1), which the old win2k installtion was
    using. No dice, then I get NTLDR is missing.

    This is an old compaq 5000us with a uwave motherboard.

    Any suggestions?
    --
    Mike
    Block Banner Ads Now

    Mike245, Aug 11, 2004

  2. Mike245

    _Vanguard_ Guest

    "Mike245" <>
    wrote in news:eek:jgSc.235131$a24.56138@attbi_s03:
    > I have a slight challenge here. Long ago the primary IDE controller
    > died on one of my computers. Somehow I managed to get windows 2k
    > running on it, I believe windows saw itself as being on
    > multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1). Now I'm trying to install XP on
    > it with a different drive and I keep getting some NTLDR errors like
    > how the path isnt correct.
    >
    > So I goto the recovery console and do a "map arc" only to see
    > scsi(1)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1). Huh? There aint no scsi drive or
    > card anywhere near here.
    >
    > The current setup is the drive as master and the CD as slave on the
    > 2nd IDE channel. I cant really replace the MB because its a wacky
    > mini-ATX and finding one that works with my 200fsb duron will
    > probably be expensive.
    >
    > I really want this to work as I could use a nice spare computer to
    > beat around with. So I loaded Knoppix on there and changed boot.ini
    > to multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1), which the old win2k
    > installtion was using. No dice, then I get NTLDR is missing.
    >
    > This is an old compaq 5000us with a uwave motherboard.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    According to
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_masc.asp,
    multi() gets used when the NT loader uses BIOS to specify the boot
    partition and scsi() when it uses a device driver (NTBOOTDD.SYS) to load
    the boot partition (see http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314470
    regarding Microsoft's definition of system and boot partitions).

    Did you disable the primary IDE channel in BIOS? I cannot find
    NTBOOTDD.SYS in the root folder of my system drive. Do you have it in
    yours?

    (E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)

    _Vanguard_, Aug 11, 2004

  3. Mike245

    Mike245 Guest

    _Vanguard_ wrote:

    > Did you disable the primary IDE channel in BIOS? I cannot find
    > NTBOOTDD.SYS in the root folder of my system drive. Do you have it in
    > yours?

    I do, and according to the MS article its because I made a FAT partition
    larger than 7.8 gigs. I also have signature(some value) instead of
    either multi(0) or scsi(1) now in boot.ini. I did have the broken
    primary disabled in BIOS but I turned it back on. Was this a mistake?

    Okay, so if I make an NTFS partition I can't edit the boot.ini file as I
    dont know anything that can boot up and let me edit files on an NTFS.
    So I'm guessing I should make a FAT patition smaller that 7 gigs soley
    to be able to edit boot.ini so the correct disk() value is one. Am I
    missing the obvious? How can I edit a file on an NTFS file system
    without the OS running? The console doesnt have any editors and bootcfg,
    fixmbr, etc don't let me edit that single character which I think is
    holding this whole install back. My understanding is my broken MB
    claims there is a disk(0) thus my real disk should be written as disk(1)
    in boot.ini

    Now I'm going to make a FAT boot partition of 6 gigs or so, edit
    boot.ini to correct disk(0) with Knoppix, and reboot.

    Sound right? I feel like I'm missing a much simpler solution or something.

    Mike245, Aug 11, 2004
  4. Mike245

    Skeleton Man Guest

    >Okay, so if I make an NTFS partition I can't edit the boot.ini file as I
    >dont know anything that can boot up and let me edit files on an NTFS.

    NTFSDOS Pro if you can get hold of it.. (free version is read-only, so you
    need the pro version)

    That will allow you to use NTFS partitions from a DOS boot disk..

    Regards,
    Chris

    Skeleton Man, Aug 11, 2004
  5. Mike245

    _Vanguard_ Guest

    "Mike245" <>
    wrote in news:dqiSc.284365$Oq2.231020@attbi_s52:
    > _Vanguard_ wrote:
    >
    >> Did you disable the primary IDE channel in BIOS? I cannot find
    >> NTBOOTDD.SYS in the root folder of my system drive. Do you have it
    >> in yours?

    > I do, and according to the MS article its because I made a FAT
    > partition larger than 7.8 gigs. I also have signature(some value)
    > instead of
    > either multi(0) or scsi(1) now in boot.ini. I did have the broken
    > primary disabled in BIOS but I turned it back on. Was this a mistake?
    >
    > Okay, so if I make an NTFS partition I can't edit the boot.ini file
    > as I dont know anything that can boot up and let me edit files on an
    > NTFS.
    > So I'm guessing I should make a FAT patition smaller that 7 gigs soley
    > to be able to edit boot.ini so the correct disk() value is one. Am I
    > missing the obvious? How can I edit a file on an NTFS file system
    > without the OS running? The console doesnt have any editors and
    > bootcfg, fixmbr, etc don't let me edit that single character which I
    > think is holding this whole install back. My understanding is my
    > broken MB
    > claims there is a disk(0) thus my real disk should be written as
    > disk(1) in boot.ini
    >
    > Now I'm going to make a FAT boot partition of 6 gigs or so, edit
    > boot.ini to correct disk(0) with Knoppix, and reboot.
    >
    > Sound right? I feel like I'm missing a much simpler solution or
    > something.

    Powerquest used to provide a utility called NTFSini. You ran it off a
    bootable floppy to let you yank any file of an NTFS partition, edit it
    under your floppy's OS (MS-DOS, Windows 9x), and then put the modified
    copy back on the NTFS partition. I don't think they provide it anymore
    but made a different tool to do the same job. My guess is it is the
    BTini.zip file under
    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/.
    BTini.exe is what now gets installed in the DOS subdirectory for
    PartitionMagic 8. I think NTFSini let you actually yank any file (i.e.,
    you specified which one) without having to add a driver in config.sys
    that would let you access NTFS partitions. BTini only yanks the
    boot.ini file; just run "btini" and it will display its help output. It
    is available for free via the FTP download.

    However, are you unable to edit the boot.ini file (after removing and
    restoring the system, hidden, and read-only file attributes using the
    'attrib' command) while booted into Recovery Console mode? You said you
    could boot into Recovery Console mode, so what would stop you from
    editing this file then?

    *** For e-mail reply, "=NEWS=" must be appended to Subject.

    _Vanguard_, Aug 11, 2004
  6. Mike245

    Mike Walsh Guest

    SCSI() is used to boot from an adapter whose BIOS is not loaded. NTBOOTDD.SYS is a copy of the driver for that adapter. This is obviously not needed for an on board IDE port.

    --

    When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

    Mike Walsh, Aug 11, 2004
  7. Mike245

    Mike245 Guest

    _Vanguard_ wrote:
    > However, are you unable to edit the boot.ini file (after removing and
    > restoring the system, hidden, and read-only file attributes using the
    > 'attrib' command) while booted into Recovery Console mode? You said you
    > could boot into Recovery Console mode, so what would stop you from
    > editing this file then?

    Is there a text editor in the RC? There are tools like bootcfg but they
    dont seem to let me say "okay, make drive(0) = drive(1)"

    Mike245, Aug 11, 2004
  8. Mike245

    _Vanguard_ Guest

    "Mike245" <>
    wrote in news:KguSc.108442$8_6.45020@attbi_s04:
    > _Vanguard_ wrote:
    > > However, are you unable to edit the boot.ini file (after removing

    > and > restoring the system, hidden, and read-only file attributes
    > using the > 'attrib' command) while booted into Recovery Console
    > mode? You said you > could boot into Recovery Console mode, so what
    > would stop you from > editing this file then?
    > >

    > Is there a text editor in the RC? There are tools like bootcfg but
    > they dont seem to let me say "okay, make drive(0) = drive(1)"

    You may be able to use edit.com. It's in c:\winodws\system32 and
    probably already in the PATH so you can run "edit boot.ini".
    Alternatively, you could simply use "echo {string} >> boot.ini" to
    append lines into a new file (after first renaming the current one to
    boot.old). "type boot.ini", record what was there, rename the file, and
    then use echo to build a new file.

    *** Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom
    *** and "=NEWS=" must be appended to the Subject.

    _Vanguard_, Aug 11, 2004
  9. Go to eBay and find a motherboard with a DURON already on it for $20

    Artless Malefactor, Aug 12, 2004