Priest's Retirement Dinner:

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by *Less*, May 4, 2009.

  1. *Less*

    *Less* Guest

    ----- Original Message -----
    Subject: Priest's Retirement Dinner


    Retirement Dinner

    A Priest was being honored at his retirement dinner after 25 years in the parish. A leading local politician and member
    of the congregation was chosen to make the presentation and to give a little speech at the dinner.

    However, he was delayed, so the Priest decided to say his own few words while they waited:


    'I got my first impression of the parish from the first confession I heard here. I thought I had been assigned to a
    terrible place. The very first person who entered my confessional told me he had stolen a television set and, when
    questioned by the police, was able to lie his way out of it. He had stolen money from his parents, embezzled from his
    employer, had an affair with his boss's wife, taken illegal drugs, and gave VD to his sister. I was appalled. But as
    the days went on I learned that my people were not all like that and I had, indeed, come to a fine parish full of good
    and loving people.'...

    Just as the Priest finished his talk, the politician arrived full of apologies at being late. He immediately began to
    make the presentation and gave his talk.

    'I'll never forget the first day our parish Priest arrived,' said the politician. 'In fact, I had the honor of being the
    first person to go to him for confession.'


    Moral: Never, Never, Never Be Late
    *Less*, May 4, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. *Less*

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 4 May 2009 08:03:40 -0500, "*Less*" <**> wrote:

    >----- Original Message -----
    >Subject: Priest's Retirement Dinner
    >
    >
    >Retirement Dinner
    >
    >A Priest was being honored at his retirement dinner after 25 years in the parish. A leading local politician and member
    >of the congregation was chosen to make the presentation and to give a little speech at the dinner.
    >
    >However, he was delayed, so the Priest decided to say his own few words while they waited:
    >
    >
    >'I got my first impression of the parish from the first confession I heard here. I thought I had been assigned to a
    >terrible place. The very first person who entered my confessional told me he had stolen a television set and, when
    >questioned by the police, was able to lie his way out of it. He had stolen money from his parents, embezzled from his
    >employer, had an affair with his boss's wife, taken illegal drugs, and gave VD to his sister. I was appalled. But as
    >the days went on I learned that my people were not all like that and I had, indeed, come to a fine parish full of good
    >and loving people.'...
    >
    >Just as the Priest finished his talk, the politician arrived full of apologies at being late. He immediately began to
    >make the presentation and gave his talk.
    >
    >'I'll never forget the first day our parish Priest arrived,' said the politician. 'In fact, I had the honor of being the
    >first person to go to him for confession.'
    >
    >
    >Moral: Never, Never, Never Be Late


    Problem with that is, anonymity. Niether the priest nor the parishoner
    knows who the other is. After awhile though, one might have an
    educated guess as to who the other is but certainly not on the first
    shot.

    Granted, small churches might make that easy to do.

    Then again, I wonder just how many politicians that scenario could
    easily be matched to?
    richard, May 4, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. *Less*

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 04 May 2009 08:42:38 -0500, Lookout <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 04 May 2009 09:27:38 -0400, richard <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 4 May 2009 08:03:40 -0500, "*Less*" <**> wrote:
    >>
    >>>----- Original Message -----
    >>>Subject: Priest's Retirement Dinner
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Retirement Dinner
    >>>
    >>>A Priest was being honored at his retirement dinner after 25 years in the parish. A leading local politician and member
    >>>of the congregation was chosen to make the presentation and to give a little speech at the dinner.
    >>>
    >>>However, he was delayed, so the Priest decided to say his own few words while they waited:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>'I got my first impression of the parish from the first confession I heard here. I thought I had been assigned to a
    >>>terrible place. The very first person who entered my confessional told me he had stolen a television set and, when
    >>>questioned by the police, was able to lie his way out of it. He had stolen money from his parents, embezzled from his
    >>>employer, had an affair with his boss's wife, taken illegal drugs, and gave VD to his sister. I was appalled. But as
    >>>the days went on I learned that my people were not all like that and I had, indeed, come to a fine parish full of good
    >>>and loving people.'...
    >>>
    >>>Just as the Priest finished his talk, the politician arrived full of apologies at being late. He immediately began to
    >>>make the presentation and gave his talk.
    >>>
    >>>'I'll never forget the first day our parish Priest arrived,' said the politician. 'In fact, I had the honor of being the
    >>>first person to go to him for confession.'
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Moral: Never, Never, Never Be Late

    >>
    >>Problem with that is, anonymity. Niether the priest nor the parishoner
    >>knows who the other is. After awhile though, one might have an
    >>educated guess as to who the other is but certainly not on the first
    >>shot.

    >
    >Non-catholics just don't get it.
    >


    I may not be a catholic, but that doesn't mean I "don't get it".
    I do understand that there are times when a priest and parishoner are
    face to face and know who each other are.
    richard, May 4, 2009
    #3
  4. *Less*

    Mike Easter Guest

    *Less* wrote:
    header:
    X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

    body multiparts:
    Content-Type: text/plain;

    Content-Type: text/html;

    There's a problem with the way this was posted, most importantly the html.
    Newsgroup posts should be plaintext.

    Secondly is the plaintext portion of the html multipart, which is
    formatted in 'longlines' which wrapping leads to awkward shortlines.

    Your OE should be configured to post to newsgroups in plaintext only, not
    html, which plaintext should have linelengths of about 72-74.

    > 'I'll never forget the first day our parish Priest arrived,' said the
    > politician. 'In fact, I had the honor of being the first person to go
    > to him for confession.'




    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 4, 2009
    #4
  5. *Less*

    chuckcar Guest

    richard <> wrote in
    news::

    > On Mon, 4 May 2009 08:03:40 -0500, "*Less*" <**> wrote:


    >
    > Problem with that is, anonymity. Niether the priest nor the parishoner
    > knows who the other is.


    Of course they do. Besides it's a joke FCS.



    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, May 4, 2009
    #5
  6. *Less*

    *Less* Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message ...
    > *Less* wrote:
    > header:
    > X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
    > Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
    >
    > body multiparts:
    > Content-Type: text/plain;
    >
    > Content-Type: text/html;
    >
    > There's a problem with the way this was posted, most importantly the html.
    > Newsgroup posts should be plaintext.
    >
    > Secondly is the plaintext portion of the html multipart, which is
    > formatted in 'longlines' which wrapping leads to awkward shortlines.
    >
    > Your OE should be configured to post to newsgroups in plaintext only, not
    > html, which plaintext should have linelengths of about 72-74.
    >
    >> 'I'll never forget the first day our parish Priest arrived,' said the
    >> politician. 'In fact, I had the honor of being the first person to go
    >> to him for confession.'

    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter


    Hello Mike,

    I have changed my OE format settings to plain test, with wrapping set @ 80 characters.
    I am going to repost using the copy/paste method, and see if it will be any improvement.

    "Less*



    ----- Original Message -----
    Subject: FW: Priest's Retirement Dinner


    Retirement Dinner

    A Priest was being honored at his retirement dinner after 25 years in the parish. A
    leading local politician and member of the congregation was chosen to make the
    presentation and to give a little speech at the dinner.

    However, he was delayed, so the Priest decided to say his own few words while they waited:


    'I got my first impression of the parish from the first confession I heard here. I
    thought I had been assigned to a terrible place. The very first person who entered my
    confessional told me he had stolen a television set and, when questioned by the police,
    was able to lie his way out of it. He had stolen money from his parents, embezzled from
    his employer, had an affair with his boss's wife, taken illegal drugs, and gave VD to his
    sister. I was appalled. But as the days went on I learned that my people were not all
    like that and I had, indeed, come to a fine parish full of good and loving people.'...

    Just as the Priest finished his talk, the politician arrived full of apologies at being
    late. He immediately began to make the presentation and gave his talk.

    'I'll never forget the first day our parish Priest arrived,' said the politician. 'In
    fact, I had the honor of being the first person to go to him for confession.'


    Moral: Never, Never, Never Be Late
    *Less*, May 5, 2009
    #6
  7. *Less*

    Mike Easter Guest

    *Less* wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Your OE should be configured to post to newsgroups in plaintext only, not
    >> html, which plaintext should have linelengths of about 72-74.



    >> --
    >> Mike Easter


    You didn't trim my sig. Your OE doesn't do auto sig trimming, so you
    have to manually trim the sig along with all of the other lines which
    you should be manually trimming.

    Trimming means to trim/ edit out/ every single line to which you aren't
    directly responding.

    Contextualizing means to place your reply words directly under an empty
    line which is directly below only the words/line to which you reply. Do
    not top post and do not bottom post untrimmed.

    > I have changed my OE format settings to plain test, with wrapping set @
    > 80 characters.


    Thank you for the plaintext. I disagree with the choice of the 9- char
    longlines. They will wrap badly when cited by those whose linelengths
    are less, which is almost everyone.

    > I am going to repost using the copy/paste method, and see if it will be
    > any improvement.


    It is definitely an improvement. And I think it can be improved some more.



    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 5, 2009
    #7
  8. *Less*

    *Less* Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message .
    > *Less* wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"
    >>> Your OE should be configured to post to newsgroups in plaintext only,
    >>> not
    >>> html, which plaintext should have linelengths of about 72-74.


    I am taking your advice on line wrapping, it is set @ 74 Characters,
    and reposting below here to see if there is any further improvement.

    > You didn't trim my sig. Your OE doesn't do auto sig trimming, so you
    > have to manually trim the sig along with all of the other lines which
    > you should be manually trimming.


    While ago I trimmed a Sig. of someone I was replying to and he got upset
    and since then I haven't trimmed any more Sigs.


    > Do not top post and do not bottom post untrimmed.


    I am on couple different NG's. often a conversation starts and some
    replies
    come top posted, and some bottom posted, my answers will be posted
    accordingly
    to prevent the flow break.

    > It is definitely an improvement. And I think it can be improved some
    > more.


    I will do my best at times it hard to be perfect in everything, I do not
    visit this NG.
    like I used to since those Spammers came along and messed up the whole
    24hours Desk.

    Thanks for your hinds on how to post correctly to NG's.

    *Less*

    Here it is @ 74 chars. line wrap.

    ----- Original Message -----
    Subject: FW: Priest's Retirement Dinner
    Retirement Dinner

    A Priest was being honoured at his retirement dinner after 25 years in the
    parish. A leading local politician and member of the congregation was
    chosen to make the presentation and to give a little speech at the dinner.

    However, he was delayed, so the Priest decided to say his own few words
    while they waited:


    'I got my first impression of the parish from the first confession I heard
    here. I thought I had been assigned to a terrible place. The very first
    person who entered my confessional told me he had stolen a television set
    and, when questioned by the police, was able to lie his way out of it. He
    had stolen money from his parents, embezzled from his employer, had an
    affair with his boss's wife, taken illegal drugs, and gave VD to his
    sister. I was appalled. But as the days went on I learned that my
    people were not all like that and I had, indeed, come to a fine parish
    full of good and loving people.'...

    Just as the Priest finished his talk, the politician arrived full of
    apologies at being late. He immediately began to make the presentation
    and gave his talk.

    'I'll never forget the first day our parish Priest arrived,' said the
    politician. 'In fact, I had the honor of being the first person to go to
    him for confession.'


    Moral: Never, Never, Never Be Late
    *Less*, May 6, 2009
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Kevin

    MCSD Retirement Question

    Kevin, Apr 7, 2004, in forum: MCSD
    Replies:
    24
    Views:
    1,779
    Alistair
    Apr 22, 2004
  2. hezekiahmunson

    MCSD 70-3xx .NET Retirement?

    hezekiahmunson, Jun 4, 2004, in forum: MCSD
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    613
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere
    Jun 7, 2004
  3. Rowdy Yates
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    465
    KennyG
    Dec 19, 2003
  4. Re: help my old parish priest......anybody

    , Jul 29, 2008, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    260
    Bob AZ
    Jul 30, 2008
  5. Re: help my old parish priest......anybody

    , Jul 30, 2008, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    246
    Blinky the Shark
    Jul 30, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page