pricing for old dual PC

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Paul Gunson, Jan 3, 2004.

  1. Paul Gunson

    Paul Gunson Guest

    roughly what could i expect to get on the following PC... it used to
    qualify as a workstation some yrs ago but is now a dinosaur.

    Gigabyte GA6BXDU DP mainboard
    Intel 440BX chipset, 100MHz bus
    Onboard Ultra-II SCSI
    1X/2X AGP slot, 4 32bit PCI slots, 3 16 bit ISA slots
    2 x Intel PIII 550MHz CPUs (Katmai)
    768MB PC100 ECC unbuffered RAM (max 1GB)
    20GB IBMGXP 7200rpm hard disk, 4KB bad sectors (doh.... still stable though)
    10/100 NIC
    soundblaster live value
    Procase 860USBB (black) case with sound insulation foam
    300W CWT P4 rated PSU, dual fan
    8cm intake fan
    6cm exhaust fan
    floppy drive (black)

    no graphics card
    no CD drive
    no monitor
    no kb, mouse or software :)

    would it be better to sell the parts on trade-me seperately....? then i
    could keep the case which might be cool...

    any opinions welcome
    -paul

    Paul Gunson, Jan 3, 2004

  2. Paul Gunson

    Paul Gunson Guest

    Paul Gunson wrote:

    > no graphics card

    oops, actually that system would come with a graphics card -
    GeForce4-440MXSE, TVout, 128MB.

    Paul Gunson, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Paul Gunson

    RecyclerMan Guest

    Paul Gunson wrote:
    > roughly what could i expect to get on the following PC... it used to
    > qualify as a workstation some yrs ago but is now a dinosaur.
    >
    > Gigabyte GA6BXDU DP mainboard
    > Intel 440BX chipset, 100MHz bus
    > Onboard Ultra-II SCSI
    > 1X/2X AGP slot, 4 32bit PCI slots, 3 16 bit ISA slots
    > 2 x Intel PIII 550MHz CPUs (Katmai)
    > 768MB PC100 ECC unbuffered RAM (max 1GB)
    > 20GB IBMGXP 7200rpm hard disk, 4KB bad sectors (doh.... still stable
    > though)
    > 10/100 NIC
    > soundblaster live value
    > Procase 860USBB (black) case with sound insulation foam
    > 300W CWT P4 rated PSU, dual fan
    > 8cm intake fan
    > 6cm exhaust fan
    > floppy drive (black)
    >
    > no graphics card
    > no CD drive
    > no monitor
    > no kb, mouse or software :)
    >
    > would it be better to sell the parts on trade-me seperately....? then i
    > could keep the case which might be cool...
    >
    > any opinions welcome
    > -paul

    Got no idear on the price but that would make a Kick Ass Home server,
    Firewall and the shuch.

    Will It take IDE Disks? Yar Yar I know about scssi being better than IDE
    especialy in raids ect ect.

    Proberly worth more in parts but then you might have left overs:(

    atleast together sombody can see total potental.

    it is the type of thing I am looking for my self but havent found or can
    afford.

    RecyclerMan, Jan 3, 2004
  4. Paul Gunson

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Paul Gunson" <> wrote in message
    > roughly what could i expect to get on the following PC... it used to
    > qualify as a workstation some yrs ago but is now a dinosaur.

    <snip>
    > would it be better to sell the parts on trade-me seperately....? then i
    > could keep the case which might be cool...
    >
    > any opinions welcome

    I would say between $450-$700. The fact that you have two tuned PIII's and a
    mobo to go with them means that it's probably worth a little more. The rest
    is pretty much worthless - you would probably get as much for the
    mobo-cpu-RAM combo as you would for the whole thing ie: The combo would be
    worth about $400-500, the rest makes up the difference.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    Losers always whine about their 'best'.

    Mr Scebe, Jan 3, 2004