    Is the price of blank dual-layer DVDs ever going to come down? The burners
    have been out for well over a year now, so you'd think there'd be some
    demand that would bring the price down, but they're still really expensive!

    J-Man, May 30, 2005

  2. J-Man

    Biz Guest

    "J-Man" <> wrote in message
    news:zmume.2215$...
    > Is the price of blank dual-layer DVDs ever going to come down? The

    burners
    > have been out for well over a year now, so you'd think there'd be some
    > demand that would bring the price down, but they're still really

    expensive!

    Until people start buying the DL media in larger quantities, the price will
    stay right where it is. If it doesnt sell well, they cant ramp up
    production to gain economies of scale to reduce manufacturing costs...

    Biz, May 30, 2005

  3. J-Man

    Alpha Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > "J-Man" <> wrote in message
    >> Is the price of blank dual-layer DVDs ever going to come down? The

    > burners
    >> have been out for well over a year now, so you'd think there'd be some
    >> demand that would bring the price down, but they're still really

    > expensive!
    >>

    > Until people start buying the DL media in larger quantities, the price
    > will
    > stay right where it is. If it doesnt sell well, they cant ramp up
    > production to gain economies of scale to reduce manufacturing costs...

    It is unlikely that people will start buying DL media since there are
    serious compatability problems for universal playback.

    Alpha, May 30, 2005
  4. J-Man

    Otter Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:53:11 -0700, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >It is unlikely that people will start buying DL media since there are
    >serious compatability problems for universal playback.

    Hell, I can't even find the damn things in stores! Well, I haven't
    checked in about two months so I might be wrong but how am I supposed
    to buy the things if I can't find them?

    -Otter

    Otter, May 31, 2005
  5. J-Man

    Pat Guest

    Otter wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:53:11 -0700, "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >

    >>It is unlikely that people will start buying DL media since there are
    >>serious compatability problems for universal playback.

    > Hell, I can't even find the damn things in stores! Well, I haven't
    > checked in about two months so I might be wrong but how am I supposed
    > to buy the things if I can't find them?

    I've only seen them for sale online, and they've always been about
    $4.50-$5 a piece. And I've heard the RiData DVD+R DL are absolute
    garbage, so there really aren't any good "cheap" ones.

    Pat, May 31, 2005
  6. J-Man

    Alpha Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > Otter wrote:
    >> On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:53:11 -0700, "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>It is unlikely that people will start buying DL media since there are
    >>>serious compatability problems for universal playback.

    >> Hell, I can't even find the damn things in stores! Well, I haven't
    >> checked in about two months so I might be wrong but how am I supposed
    >> to buy the things if I can't find them?

    > I've only seen them for sale online, and they've always been about
    > $4.50-$5 a piece. And I've heard the RiData DVD+R DL are absolute
    > garbage, so there really aren't any good "cheap" ones.

    Only Verbatim (somewhat) works...Ridata are junk; you heard correctly.

    Alpha, May 31, 2005
  7. J-Man

    J-Man Guest

    "Otter" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:53:11 -0700, "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >
    >>It is unlikely that people will start buying DL media since there are
    >>serious compatability problems for universal playback.

    > Hell, I can't even find the damn things in stores! Well, I haven't
    > checked in about two months so I might be wrong but how am I supposed
    > to buy the things if I can't find them?
    >
    > -Otter

    I've seen them at Fry's and CompUSA, and they're available online as well.

    J-Man, Jun 1, 2005