    are high to me. Should I wait until Christmas or what? Would like to buy it
    before New Year, so I have time to wait if something will come up.

    Chuck
    CNT, Nov 22, 2003

  2. CNT

    Wayne P Guest

    I would suggest the biggest you can afford. I got a 1 GB card when I got my
    10D. I am glad to be not handling multiple cards.

    wayne

    "CNT" <> wrote in message news:3fbfb767$...
    > I am interested in buying a larger CF for my Canon S45. I don't hold too
    > many pictures on the CF, just me thing, maybe like 60 at the most (yet).

    Now

    Wayne P, Nov 22, 2003

  3. CNT

    DHB Guest

    CNT,
    as the other poster said it's probably wise to go with a 512m CF
    "if" you can afford & if you may need the room in the near future. Might
    wish to check Amazon.com, they have a Lexar 512M 12x CF card for just under
    $100 with "no rebate" & they offer free "super saver shipping" too.

    In general buy a known brand CF card preferably 1 that is life time
    warranted & get it from a well know retailer, local or mail-order & I don't
    think you should have any problems. Your Canon 4MP S45 at it's largest
    image size & lowest jpg compression takes about 2.5M per picture & 4.725M if
    you shoot in RAW mode. So here's your choices based on capacity:

    $50, 256M CF Card: pictures = 102 jpg or 54 RAW
    $100, 512M CF Card: pictures = 204 jpg or 108 RAW

    This is all approximate but it should give you an idea of both the
    average price & capacity of each size card. Also consider that CF cards
    still seem to be dropping slowly in price so if a 256M card is likely to
    meet your needs for 6 months to a year, you may want to get a 256M card now
    & a 512M card later when it's likely to be even less expensive.

    Just my 2 cents worth.

    Respectfully, DHB

    DHB, Nov 22, 2003
  4. CNT

    [BnH] Guest

    Check first if your S45 can recognise 512mb CF.

    As > 256mb cards ... do cause a bit of problem here n there [ reader fail to
    read etc etc ]
    If can, get the biggest you can have [but do a price vs storage size
    comparison first]
    and .. get spare batteries :)

    =bob=

    [BnH], Nov 22, 2003
  5. CNT

    Mick Ruthven Guest

    I used a 512 in my G2, one generation earlier than the S45, and also in my
    G3, same generation as the S45. It's not an issue.

    Mick Ruthven, Nov 23, 2003
  6. CNT

    it Guest

    >I am interested in buying a larger CF for my Canon S45. I don't hold too
    >many pictures on the CF, just me thing, maybe like 60 at the most (yet). Now
    >I am looking at 256MB, but would I better off with 512MB to be safe and
    >somewhat future-proof?

    The 256Mb will hold 120-150 pictures. If you're doing 60 tops now then
    you should be ok unless you plan on doing some travelling. As far as
    'future proofing', you will protect yourself by not buying such a high
    capacity card until you need it - because the prices keep dropping !
    it, Nov 23, 2003
  7. "CNT" <> wrote in message news:3fbfb767$...
    > I am interested in buying a larger CF for my Canon S45. I don't hold too
    > many pictures on the CF, just me thing, maybe like 60 at the most (yet).

    Now
    > I am looking at 256MB, but would I better off with 512MB to be safe and
    > somewhat future-proof? 256MB are $59ish (plus a $20 rebate) and 512MB are
    > $113ish. I just don't know, what you suggest with CF issues? Those prices
    > are high to me.

    These are high. Wait for a SimpleTech rebate. 512MB should cost about $80
    ($100-$20 rebate).

    Check newegg.com, especially if you are outside of California.

    For some reason, CF prices seem to be going up, not down. Maybe it's
    the increasing popularity of CF in higher end cameras, or its use in other
    devices.
    Steven M. Scharf, Nov 23, 2003
  8. CNT

    CNT Guest

    CNT, Nov 23, 2003
  9. CNT

    CNT Guest

    I haven't follow up with it, but yeah it seems...

    CNT, Nov 23, 2003
  10. CNT

    DHB Guest

    CNT,
    a few days ago I place an order for 2 of them & they were selling
    for $99.99 each without a rebate, I did receive the 2 I ordered at that
    price. Why they were that cheap then & raised the price only a few days
    later, I don't know. Here is part of the shipment conformation email they
    sent me:

    The following items were included in this shipment:
    Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal
    2 Lexar 512 MB 12X CompactFlash $99.99 2 $199.98

    Item Subtotal: $199.98
    Shipping & Handling: $6.17

    Super Saver Discount: -$6.17

    Total: $199.98

    Paid by Visa: $199.98

    In any case I am glad I purchased "2" instead of the "1" that I actually
    "needed". If I recall correctly I checked the price the day before I 1st
    responded to this post, that's a huge price difference in just 1 day!

    Sorry, I did not mean to mislead anybody but Amazon.com does offer sales
    on both Lexar & Viking CF cards from time to time so I often check their
    prices.

    Respectfully, DHB

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...72011-2810512?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

    DHB, Nov 23, 2003
  11. CNT

    CNT Guest

    WOW. I did checked their pricing, but I guess I missed a day!!!!!

    Chuck

    CNT, Nov 23, 2003
  12. CNT

    zeitgeist Guest

    I bought 512 cards cause I can copy the whole thing to a folder on my hard
    drive, then burn a back up Cd without having to think about picking so many
    files/folders at a time, a CD can store 674mb of files, so if you had a 1 gb
    card you have to burn two cds. If you are shooting a wedding you can start
    the burn and get back to work without having to think about it quite as
    much.

    it doesn't take that much to label a couple 512 chips A B C etc,

    Don't bother buying highspeed chips, its your camera that is the slow up.

    buy what you need now, if you wait long enough the price will drop but then
    there will be something else that is way faster, better cooler and cheaper
    coming soon so you'll wait for that and then...

    zeitgeist, Nov 23, 2003
  13. CNT

    TonyK Guest

    In Australia my 512MB CF card cost me about $245.00 and that was not retail.
    I work for a computer company, shopped around and got the cheapest available
    at cost price.

    $113.00 ,,,,, pffooee !

    TonyK, Nov 23, 2003
  14. CNT