Price drop by Xtra

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PC, Oct 31, 2005.

  1. PC

    PC Guest

    Just got an email from Xtra (dated Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:46:15)

    <quote>
    You currently pay $69.95 per month, but from your next Telecom bill, you'll
    only pay $59.95 per month and still enjoy your 10GB high-speed allowance
    every month. Nothing else will change and you don't have to do anything to
    get this new reduced price.
    </quote>

    Don't know what changes there are to their other plans though.

    Nice early Xmas pressy.

    Paul.

    PC, Oct 31, 2005

  2. PC

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:02:54 +1300, "PC" <> wrote:

    >Just got an email from Xtra (dated Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:46:15)
    >
    ><quote>
    >You currently pay $69.95 per month, but from your next Telecom bill, you'll
    >only pay $59.95 per month and still enjoy your 10GB high-speed allowance
    >every month. Nothing else will change and you don't have to do anything to
    >get this new reduced price.
    ></quote>
    >
    >Don't know what changes there are to their other plans though.
    >
    >Nice early Xmas pressy.
    >
    >Paul.

    Na still crap..

    Read the thing posted here about the OECD..

    XP, Oct 31, 2005

  3. PC

    Brendon Guest

    "XP" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:02:54 +1300, "PC" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Just got an email from Xtra (dated Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:46:15)
    >>
    >><quote>
    >>You currently pay $69.95 per month, but from your next Telecom bill,
    >>you'll
    >>only pay $59.95 per month and still enjoy your 10GB high-speed allowance
    >>every month. Nothing else will change and you don't have to do anything to
    >>get this new reduced price.
    >></quote>

    and still a rip-off compared to what I am currently paying in the UK for
    unlimited...@ 2mb/s

    I am not looking forward to coming home soon and having to go back to
    dial-up...

    Webkiwi

    Brendon, Oct 31, 2005
  4. PC

    steve Guest

    PC wrote:

    > Don't know what changes there are to their other plans though.
    >
    > Nice early Xmas pressy.
    >
    > Paul.

    Puts you in line with orcon's 1GB + 10GB price band.

    Orcon charge you an extra $10 for EACH additional 10GB.

    At that rate, I don't watch the usage any more.

    steve, Oct 31, 2005
  5. "Brendon" <> wrote in message

    > "XP" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:02:54 +1300, "PC" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just got an email from Xtra (dated Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:46:15)
    >>>
    >>><quote>
    >>>You currently pay $69.95 per month, but from your next Telecom bill,
    >>>you'll
    >>>only pay $59.95 per month and still enjoy your 10GB high-speed allowance
    >>>every month. Nothing else will change and you don't have to do anything
    >>>get this new reduced price.
    >>></quote>

    > and still a rip-off compared to what I am currently paying in the UK for
    > unlimited...@ 2mb/s
    >
    > I am not looking forward to coming home soon and having to go back to
    > dial-up...
    >
    > Webkiwi

    what'dya mean dial-up? Unless you live in the extreme rural you can get
    adsl.

    I think the worst things about telecoms plans, is the pathetic upload speeds
    and data cap.

    i suppose download speeds are starting to look archaeic too, but that will
    change shortly when adsl 2 comes in - although adsl is already outdated
    tech.

    Remember the days when NZ was considered a tech innovator? This was some 10
    years ago. In that 10 year period , NZ has very very limited tech
    innovation.

    We still use the same eft-pos system for example. Where are smart cards?
    Where is high speed internet? Where is enhanced online banking?

    news.xtra.co.nz, Oct 31, 2005
  6. PC

    Route Guest

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:02:54 +1300, PC wrote:

    > Just got an email from Xtra (dated Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:46:15)
    >
    > <quote>
    > You currently pay $69.95 per month, but from your next Telecom bill, you'll
    > only pay $59.95 per month and still enjoy your 10GB high-speed allowance
    > every month. Nothing else will change and you don't have to do anything to
    > get this new reduced price.
    > </quote>
    >
    > Don't know what changes there are to their other plans though.
    >
    > Nice early Xmas pressy.
    >
    > Paul.

    So is there now a better/faster service available at the $69.95 rate?

    Route, Oct 31, 2005
  7. PC

    Hamish Guest

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:02:54 +1300, "PC" <> wrote:

    >Just got an email from Xtra (dated Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:46:15)
    >
    ><quote>
    >You currently pay $69.95 per month, but from your next Telecom bill, you'll
    >only pay $59.95 per month and still enjoy your 10GB high-speed allowance
    >every month. Nothing else will change and you don't have to do anything to
    >get this new reduced price.
    ></quote>
    >
    >Don't know what changes there are to their other plans though.
    >
    >Nice early Xmas pressy.
    >
    >Paul.

    interesting that i got the e-mail and and im not even on the 10g
    plan..

    if they are doing a $10 drop on one account maybe they should make it
    accross the board ... yeah i know fat chance..

    Hamish, Oct 31, 2005
  8. In article <1b0fy3ah0zwj2$.qzotoeyqo9kw$>,
    lid says...

    > So is there now a better/faster service available at the $69.95 rate?

    I am paying Iconz 55 dollars for 1Mbit/10Gbyte. Pretty reasonable I
    thought compared to xtra's plans and prices as of 3 months ago when I
    made the decision to go adsl because Bordernet just didn't work well at
    all. I'm happy, I've a slightly faster connection with 5 times the data
    cap and pay 5 bucks less than before :)
    I would've gone to Actrix but I didn't like that 'you have to have your
    tolls with us' bit. My experience of having tolls with ihug was that the
    audio quality of the toll calls mysteriously improved quite a bit when I
    went back to Telescum.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 1, 2005
  9. PC

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 08:41:54 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz" <>
    wrote:

    >We still use the same eft-pos system for example. Where are smart cards?
    >Where is high speed internet? Where is enhanced online banking?

    Nothing wrong with eftpos. It's probably a hell of a lot safer and more secure
    than a smart card system. Whatever smart card system they came up with, i'm
    sure someone would figure out how to hack the cards and get themselves free
    money.

    Craig Shore, Nov 1, 2005
  10. "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:N_S9f.181$...
    > In article <>, Craig Shore
    > <> wrote:
    >>On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 08:41:54 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    >><>
    >>wrote:
    >>>We still use the same eft-pos system for example. Where are smart cards?
    >>>Where is high speed internet? Where is enhanced online banking?

    >>Nothing wrong with eftpos. It's probably a hell of a lot safer and more
    >>secure
    >>than a smart card system. Whatever smart card system they came up with,
    >>i'm
    >>sure someone would figure out how to hack the cards and get themselves
    >>free
    >>money.

    > Agreed. I read the list of 'upgrades' above and saw nothing I wanted :)

    Thats because you are most unimaginative. Perhaps you enjoy waiting the
    minute or so each time you need to buy something.

    Perhaps you're the type of person who'd think the internet was a terrible
    idea before it was invented.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 2, 2005
  11. In article <>, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >In article <1b0fy3ah0zwj2$.qzotoeyqo9kw$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> So is there now a better/faster service available at the $69.95 rate?

    >I am paying Iconz 55 dollars for 1Mbit/10Gbyte. Pretty reasonable I
    >thought compared to xtra's plans and prices as of 3 months ago when I
    >made the decision to go adsl because Bordernet just didn't work well at
    >all. I'm happy, I've a slightly faster connection with 5 times the data
    >cap and pay 5 bucks less than before :)
    >I would've gone to Actrix but I didn't like that 'you have to have your
    >tolls with us' bit. My experience of having tolls with ihug was that the
    >audio quality of the toll calls mysteriously improved quite a bit when I
    >went back to Telescum.

    Actrix tolls are not distinguishable from telescum to me. Note that this is
    a dial up connection and 'separate' tolls ... no idea if broadband would be
    better/worse. :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 2, 2005

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 2, 2005
  13. PC

    shannon Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    > in message news:N_S9f.181$...
    >
    >>In article <>, Craig Shore
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 08:41:54 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    >>><>

    >>>Nothing wrong with eftpos. It's probably a hell of a lot safer and more
    >>>secure
    >>>than a smart card system. Whatever smart card system they came up with,
    >>>i'm
    >>>sure someone would figure out how to hack the cards and get themselves
    >>>free
    >>>money.

    >>Agreed. I read the list of 'upgrades' above and saw nothing I wanted :)
    >>

    > Thats because you are most unimaginative. Perhaps you enjoy waiting the
    > minute or so each time you need to buy something.
    >
    > Perhaps you're the type of person who'd think the internet was a terrible
    > idea before it was invented.

    Is that you Harry ?

    shannon, Nov 2, 2005
  14. PC

    Andrew Guest

    PC wrote:
    > Just got an email from Xtra (dated Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:46:15)
    >
    > <quote>
    > You currently pay $69.95 per month, but from your next Telecom bill, you'll
    > only pay $59.95 per month and still enjoy your 10GB high-speed allowance
    > every month. Nothing else will change and you don't have to do anything to
    > get this new reduced price.
    > </quote>
    >
    > Don't know what changes there are to their other plans though.
    >
    > Nice early Xmas pressy.
    >
    > Paul.

    yay
    thats awesome

    Andrew, Nov 2, 2005
  15. PC

    MarkH Guest

    Craig Shore <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 08:41:54 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>We still use the same eft-pos system for example. Where are smart
    >>cards? Where is high speed internet? Where is enhanced online banking?

    > Nothing wrong with eftpos. It's probably a hell of a lot safer and
    > more secure than a smart card system. Whatever smart card system they
    > came up with, i'm sure someone would figure out how to hack the cards
    > and get themselves free money.

    I wonder if this is what people said about EFT-POS before it was
    introduced?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Nov 2, 2005
  16. PC

    MarkH Guest

    steve <> wrote in news::

    > PC wrote:
    >
    >> Don't know what changes there are to their other plans though.
    >>
    >> Nice early Xmas pressy.
    >>
    >> Paul.

    > Puts you in line with orcon's 1GB + 10GB price band.

    Actually - no it doesn't. Orcon charges $39.95 for 2mb/1GB and 11GB would
    cost $49.95. For $59.95 you can get 21GB from Orcon.

    From Xtra's website:
    *This price is for customers who have a Telecom home line and all their
    direct dial calling with Telecom. Plan price is an additional $10 for
    customers who do not have all their direct dial calling with Telecom.

    So the equivalent from Orcon is the 2mb plan with Orcon tolls.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Nov 2, 2005
  17. "shannon" <> wrote in message news:...
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >> "Bruce Sinclair" <>
    >> wrote in message news:N_S9f.181$...

    >>>Agreed. I read the list of 'upgrades' above and saw nothing I wanted :)
    >>>

    >> Thats because you are most unimaginative. Perhaps you enjoy waiting the
    >> minute or so each time you need to buy something.
    >>
    >> Perhaps you're the type of person who'd think the internet was a terrible
    >> idea before it was invented.
    >>

    > Is that you Harry ?

    nope.
    whose harry?

    news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 2, 2005
  18. Craig Shore wrote:
    > Nothing wrong with eftpos. It's probably a hell of a lot safer and more secure
    > than a smart card system. Whatever smart card system they came up with, i'm
    > sure someone would figure out how to hack the cards and get themselves free
    > money.

    Eftpos ? Secure ? There's a tui billboard waiting to happen.

    Mark Robinson, Nov 2, 2005
  19. PC

    shannon Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "shannon" <> wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    >>>Thats because you are most unimaginative. Perhaps you enjoy waiting the
    >>>minute or so each time you need to buy something.
    >>>
    >>>Perhaps you're the type of person who'd think the internet was a terrible
    >>>idea before it was invented.
    >>>

    >>Is that you Harry ?

    > nope.
    > whose harry?

    Another poster with the same tendency to get abusive when someone
    disagreed with his point of view.

    shannon, Nov 2, 2005
  20. "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:JPbaf.407$...