    Drive Not Ready
    Insert boot diskette in drive A
    Is it wanting to reinstall windows.......... is the hdd gone bad......
    Chuck S, Dec 10, 2003

  2. Chuck S

    tommy Guest

    "Chuck S" <> wrote in message
    news:TYNBb.15252$...
    > I have an older pc that someone wanted me to look at cause it was not
    > booting.You get 2 beeps and when you boot up you get this error in the

    very
    > first screen.
    > Pri Master HDD Error
    > Run Setup
    > Press F1 to resume
    >
    > after hitting F1 you get 2 beeps and then this error
    > Drive Not Ready
    > Insert boot diskette in drive A
    > Is it wanting to reinstall windows.......... is the hdd gone bad......
    >
    > Try: Shut off computer/Wait a minute, turn back on and begin tapping F8.

    This should give you the option to select "safe mode". This will boot to
    desktop. Shut off computer/turn back on and repeat but instead of "safe
    mode" select "normal mode"
    tommy, Dec 11, 2003

  3. > I have an older pc that someone wanted me to look at cause it was not
    > booting.You get 2 beeps and when you boot up you get this error in the very
    > first screen.
    > Pri Master HDD Error
    > Run Setup
    > Press F1 to resume
    >
    > after hitting F1 you get 2 beeps and then this error
    > Drive Not Ready
    > Insert boot diskette in drive A

    Check the hard disk cables and the settings in the BIOS. Is the drive
    configured properly and is it set to be bootable? Is the hard disk
    cable attached correctly to both the drive and to the motherboard or
    adapter card and is the drive plugged into the power supply?
    Alexander Rogge, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Chuck S

    M Mullen Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:34:02 -0500, "Chuck S" <> wrote:

    |> I have an older pc that someone wanted me to look at cause it was not
    |> booting.You get 2 beeps and when you boot up you get this error in the very
    |> first screen.
    |> Pri Master HDD Error
    |> Run Setup
    |> Press F1 to resume
    |>
    |> after hitting F1 you get 2 beeps and then this error
    |> Drive Not Ready
    |> Insert boot diskette in drive A
    |> Is it wanting to reinstall windows.......... is the hdd gone bad......

    Your HD isn't being recognized that's why your getting the Press F1 to resume.
    You should have an auto config in the bios for the it. If not (or it can't find
    it) your going to have to key in it's drive info.

    --
    ,,
    ( "> w
    M Mullen, Dec 11, 2003
  5. Chuck S

    Plato Guest

    Chuck S wrote:

    > I have an older pc that someone wanted me to look at cause it was not
    > booting.You get 2 beeps and when you boot up you get this error in the very
    > first screen.
    > Pri Master HDD Error
    > Run Setup
    > Press F1 to resume
    >
    > after hitting F1 you get 2 beeps and then this error
    > Drive Not Ready
    > Insert boot diskette in drive A
    > Is it wanting to reinstall windows.......... is the hdd gone bad......

    No, it's not wanting to reinstall Windows. It's simply trying to find a
    bootable drive.

    Run Setup means go into the bios and see if you can autodetect the hard
    drive. The battery may have failed and the seetings may have been lost.
    If you cant detect the hard drive then check both power and data cables
    and check if the drive is spinning. If you
    can detect the hard drive in the bios then replace the motherboard
    battery.

    In this case "Press F1 to resume" simply means you are telling the PC to
    try the next step. If it's a real old PC then the drive may be connected
    to a separate controller card which may have failed. If its a real, real
    old PC, then you wont find a hard drive
    autodetect in the bios, so if the battery has failed, you have to get
    the heads, cyls,
    and sector settings off the label on the drive and enter them in
    manually in the bios.

    And yes, the hard drive _may_ have gone bad, or the onboard PCI HDD
    controller may have gone bad. Or, the primary controller on the
    motherboard may have gone bad so one can
    always try connecting it to the secondary. Or, another drive on the same
    channel as the
    bootable drive may have gone bad thus disabling what may well be your
    still good C: drive.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Dec 11, 2003
  6. Chuck S

    Plato Guest

    tommy wrote:

    > > Try: Shut off computer/Wait a minute, turn back on and begin tapping F8.

    > This should give you the option to select "safe mode". This will boot to
    > desktop. Shut off computer/turn back on and repeat but instead of "safe
    > mode" select "normal mode"

    You're confusing windows setup with a bios setup message.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Dec 11, 2003
  7. Chuck S

    Plato Guest

    M Mullen wrote:

    > You should have an auto config in the bios for the it. If not (or it can't find
    > it) your going to have to key in it's drive info.

    Ahh, those were the days. Either you had to take the drive out to read
    the settings or,
    in the worst case the settings weren't on the drive [stupid] and you had
    to go to the
    makers webpage. At the time there was this freebie program I forget the
    name that
    basically had all the settings for all the drives by model number. Darn
    thing fit on
    a floppy as well. Came in handy.

    These pages used to come in handy. Cant say I've used them in years tho.

    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rayp/hd-index.html
    http://www.pc-disk.de/
    Plato, Dec 11, 2003