Preview vs final photo

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by madz, Jan 24, 2005.

  1. madz

    madz Guest

    Hello,

    Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
    sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the button
    down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much different
    than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.

    What is the problem? Why are pictures different before and after the
    shot, although the lens and image sensor are the same?

    The situation I described occurs mainly in low light condition (at least
    for my camera) – in room without flash, so the shutter speed is low etc.

    Is it possible that somehow overriding settings manually I could make
    pictures with same quality as on preview?

    The basic question is, why look picture better before the shot than
    after? How is it possible?

    Sorry about long letter. By the way, the camera is Olympus C-765UZ.

    Regards
    madz

    madz, Jan 24, 2005

  2. madz

    Toomas Guest

    Because resolution of LCD in camera is much
    lower than final picture. LCD has only 114 000
    pixels when Your image has 3.9 million

    Toomas

    Toomas, Jan 24, 2005

  3. madz wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
    > sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the
    > button down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much
    > different than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.

    Could "fuzzy" be from camera-shake, considering the low shutter speed you
    mentioned?

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 24, 2005
  4. madz

    rafe bustin Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:01:01 +0200, madz <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
    >sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the button
    >down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much different
    >than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.
    >
    >What is the problem? Why are pictures different before and after the
    >shot, although the lens and image sensor are the same?
    >
    >The situation I described occurs mainly in low light condition (at least
    >for my camera) – in room without flash, so the shutter speed is low etc.
    >
    >Is it possible that somehow overriding settings manually I could make
    >pictures with same quality as on preview?
    >
    >The basic question is, why look picture better before the shot than
    >after? How is it possible?
    >
    >Sorry about long letter. By the way, the camera is Olympus C-765UZ.

    It's generally impossible to judge
    proper focus from the small LCD screen
    on most digicams (and that includes
    dSLRs as well.)

    As for color and exposure, learn to use
    the histogram tool, and shoot in RAW mode.
    If the capture meets certain minimal
    criteria, you should be able to fix up
    the image in Photoshop afterwards.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin, Jan 24, 2005
  5. madz

    Jim Townsend Guest

    madz wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
    > sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the button
    > down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much different
    > than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.
    >
    > What is the problem? Why are pictures different before and after the
    > shot, although the lens and image sensor are the same?

    I wouldn't put much faith in the LCD display.. They are VERY low
    resolution devices. How do these images look on your computer's monitor ?

    They say a picture is worth a thousand words :)

    Could you post an image somewhere on the net and supply a link
    to it ? (With full EXIF information). It would be much more useful
    in determining what could be wrong.

    Jim Townsend, Jan 24, 2005
  6. madz

    Bob Williams Guest

    madz wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
    > sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the button
    > down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much different
    > than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.
    >
    > What is the problem? Why are pictures different before and after the
    > shot, although the lens and image sensor are the same?
    >
    > The situation I described occurs mainly in low light condition (at least
    > for my camera) – in room without flash, so the shutter speed is low etc.
    >
    > Is it possible that somehow overriding settings manually I could make
    > pictures with same quality as on preview?
    >
    > The basic question is, why look picture better before the shot than
    > after? How is it possible?
    >
    > Sorry about long letter. By the way, the camera is Olympus C-765UZ.
    >
    > Regards
    > madz

    Doubtless, you are experiencing camera shake at the long exposure times.
    Prove it to yourself by putting the camera on a tripod and using the
    self timer to trip the shutter.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jan 24, 2005
  7. madz

    madz Guest

    Toomas wrote:
    > Because resolution of LCD in camera is much
    > lower than final picture. LCD has only 114 000
    > pixels when Your image has 3.9 million
    >
    > Toomas

    Actually I mean, in both cases I look the picture on LCD of my camera.
    Before shot, picture is OK, after NG.

    Is it possible, that preview uses only a fraction of all pixels? I mean,
    if the sensor resolution is 4 Mp, camera uses only 114 Kp for preview?

    Regards
    madz

    madz, Jan 25, 2005
  8. madz

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:32:49 +0200, in rec.photo.digital madz <>
    wrote:

    >Toomas wrote:
    >> Because resolution of LCD in camera is much
    >> lower than final picture. LCD has only 114 000
    >> pixels when Your image has 3.9 million
    >>
    >> Toomas

    >Actually I mean, in both cases I look the picture on LCD of my camera.
    >Before shot, picture is OK, after NG.

    I don't believe what you are seeing is the exact same exposure info before
    the shot vs. after. The brightness of the image is being boosted by longer
    exposure, greater sensitivity or boosted brightness after the fact, so you
    can se the image before you shoot. The fact the image is too dark is
    telling you the aperture is wide enough and/or the shutter speed isn't long
    enough for the conditions you are trying to shoot. Given this, I suspect
    your fuzzy images are due to motion blur caused by the all ready slow
    shutter speeds. What are the aperture and shutter speeds of the images?
    What is the max aperture of the camera?
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Jan 25, 2005
  9. madz

    Ron Hunter Guest

    madz wrote:
    > Toomas wrote:
    >
    >> Because resolution of LCD in camera is much lower than final picture.
    >> LCD has only 114 000
    >> pixels when Your image has 3.9 million
    >>
    >> Toomas

    > Actually I mean, in both cases I look the picture on LCD of my camera.
    > Before shot, picture is OK, after NG.
    >
    > Is it possible, that preview uses only a fraction of all pixels? I mean,
    > if the sensor resolution is 4 Mp, camera uses only 114 Kp for preview?
    >
    > Regards
    > madz

    LCDs aren't high res. Most of them are well under 1mp.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jan 26, 2005
  10. madz

    madz Guest

    Yes, it is true that shutter speed is too low in these conditions (>1/5
    at ISO 100 and f/2.8 (max)). It is too hard to have good results with
    the settings in low light, that part I understand.

    If camera is using greater sensitivity etc for preview, then why it is
    not using these settings for taking real pictures in fully automatic mode?

    Perhaps it uses different approach for preview (webcam style) and for
    taking pictures?

    Regards
    madz

    madz, Jan 26, 2005
  11. madz

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:38:15 +0200, in rec.photo.digital madz <>
    wrote:

    >Yes, it is true that shutter speed is too low in these conditions (>1/5
    >at ISO 100 and f/2.8 (max)). It is too hard to have good results with
    >the settings in low light, that part I understand.
    >
    >If camera is using greater sensitivity etc for preview, then why it is
    >not using these settings for taking real pictures in fully automatic mode?
    >
    >Perhaps it uses different approach for preview (webcam style) and for
    >taking pictures?

    Now you have it. It's just boosting the brightness of the image set to the
    LCD. You're going to have to increase ISO yourself to take shots here with
    faster shutter speeds. Better to do this manually than to rely on autoiso
    if your camera has that capability.
    ----------

    Ed Ruf, Jan 26, 2005
  12. madz

    madz Guest

    Okey, thanks Ed.

    madz

    madz, Jan 27, 2005
  13. madz

    Tippi Guest

    I have a slightly different question. I took pictures on a cruise ship.
    The sea was really blue, both by naked eye and on the LCD preview. But
    when I took the pic, the LCD shows that it's not quite blue and rather
    green. Why? do I need a filter? This is an Olympus 730.

    Tippi, Jan 27, 2005
  14. > Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
    > sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the button
    > down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much different
    > than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.

    The fuzziness could come from having too low a shutter speed.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Mar 26, 2005