Preventing rust on hand tools?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Grandpa Chuck, Jul 23, 2007.

  1. Even though we have a dehumidifier running constantly in our basement
    I have noticed that my hand tools that are in a good quality roll
    around tool box are developing rust. Each drawer is lined with a
    rubber mat.

    Does anyone have any tried and true ways to prevent the rust?

    Is there some other newsgroup where this question would be more
    appropriate.

    Thanks friends.
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Americans killed in the occupation of Iraq as of July 21, 2007 is 3,632.
    United Kingdom = 163 Other = 129.

    How many more Americans must die to satisfy Bush's ego?
    Let us all pray for Bush - God knows he needs it!

    As of July 22, 2007 it has been 1544 days since Bush
    while standing in front of the banner which was sent
    to the ship by the White House saying MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
    declared,"In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our
    allies have prevailed." IOW MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

    Isn't Bush's "surge" of troops working well?
    Pay attention to the frequency of American deaths since it began.

    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, and carrying a cross." --Sinclair
    Lewis
    Grandpa Chuck, Jul 23, 2007

  2. Grandpa Chuck

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Mon, 23 Jul 2007 01:30:18 GMT, Without Any Hesitation Or
    Thinking Twice, Grandpa Chuck Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
    The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:

    > Even though we have a dehumidifier running constantly in our basement
    > I have noticed that my hand tools that are in a good quality roll
    > around tool box are developing rust. Each drawer is lined with a
    > rubber mat.
    >
    > Does anyone have any tried and true ways to prevent the rust?
    >
    > Is there some other newsgroup where this question would be more
    > appropriate.
    >
    > Thanks friends.

    wipe them with a rag sprayed with WD40
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Old Gringo, Jul 23, 2007

  3. Grandpa Chuck

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Grandpa Chuck
    <> wrote:

    > Does anyone have any tried and true ways to prevent the rust?
    >
    > Is there some other newsgroup where this question would be more
    > appropriate.

    Yes: a standard way that everyone using tools is supposed to know and
    use routinely. It used to be taught in 'shop' classes; it has always
    been part of the clean-up process, and it has a very very long
    tradition.

    Wipe it with a rag and mineral oil.

    It has always been assumed people using tools know how to clean them,
    and would do so often, if not every single time it's used. The single
    major task of this clean-up is just to wipe tools with this
    lightly-oiled rag. Nothing more.
    Mitch, Jul 23, 2007
  4. Grandpa Chuck

    Mitch Guest

    In article <tabyql0ut2wk$>, Old Gringo
    <> wrote:

    > wipe them with a rag sprayed with WD40

    NO!
    NOT WD40 -- that is NOT an oil for this purpose (it is more flammable
    and evaporates much more!)

    Regular mineral oil is what you use; it's also a LOT cheaper.
    Mitch, Jul 23, 2007
  5. Grandpa Chuck

    JANA Guest

    To prevent rust, put a thin coating of oil on all your tools. Normally, it
    is good to keep hand tools oiled.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jul 23, 2007
  6. On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:42:48 -1000, Mitch <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Grandpa Chuck
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have any tried and true ways to prevent the rust?
    >>
    >> Is there some other newsgroup where this question would be more
    >> appropriate.

    >Yes: a standard way that everyone using tools is supposed to know and
    >use routinely. It used to be taught in 'shop' classes; it has always
    >been part of the clean-up process, and it has a very very long
    >tradition.
    >
    >Wipe it with a rag and mineral oil.
    >
    >It has always been assumed people using tools know how to clean them,
    >and would do so often, if not every single time it's used. The single
    >major task of this clean-up is just to wipe tools with this
    >lightly-oiled rag. Nothing more.

    First of all, none of my tools are EVER put away dirty.

    Secondly, I took three years of shop and was never told to wipe tools
    down with mineral or any kind of oil.

    Some of these tools have rarely been used at all.
    The majority of hand tools are hung on proper pegs, etc. on painted
    pegboard on the walls, but my roll around tool box is still pretty
    full.

    After posting the original question my wife and I went downstairs and
    took heavy duty paper towels sprayed with WD-40 and laid over the top
    of the tools in each drawer. When I have more time I will empty each
    drawer and wipe the tools down with a lightly oiled rag as I put them
    back. Also after posting the question I put about a tablespoon of
    Damp-Rid in the front corner of each drawer.

    I don't understand why some, as in a relative small percentage, of
    tools in good condition have begun to show a little rust. I first
    noticed it on a 10" pair of needle nose pliers. In the past I have had
    a couple of small side cutters actually seize up with rust when they
    were in a drawer. They were not dirty, scratched or showed any undo
    wear. Those I cleaned up with Naval Jelly and only when they were
    freed up did I oil them and wipe them down with oil. (Usually 556, if
    you are familiar with that brand. It was used quite a bit in the shop
    of the place where I worked and an appliance service man told me it
    was a much better product than WD40, so I bought a couple of cans.)
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Grandpa Chuck, Jul 23, 2007
  7. Thank you.
    Please read my reply to Mitch.
    Good to see you hanging around here Old Gringo.

    Grandpa Chuck, Jul 23, 2007
  8. Grandpa Chuck

    Plato Guest

    JANA wrote:

    > To prevent rust, put a thin coating of oil on all your tools. Normally, it
    > is good to keep hand tools oiled.

    Good advice. And, you only have to do this once in most lifetimes. With
    any type of oil. Even spraying them with WD40.
    Plato, Jul 23, 2007
  9. Grandpa Chuck

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Sorry Mitch but WD-40 was invented for this purpose. The "WD" stands for
    "Water Displacement" See here
    http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html

    pcbutts1, Jul 23, 2007
  10. Grandpa Chuck

    pcbutts1 Guest

    See my reply to Mitch.

    pcbutts1, Jul 23, 2007
  11. Grandpa Chuck

    Jerry Attic Guest

    Grandpa Chuck <> said in
    <snip>
    > I don't understand why some, as in a relative small percentage, of
    > tools in good condition have begun to show a little rust. I first
    > noticed it on a 10" pair of needle nose pliers. In the past I have had
    > a couple of small side cutters actually seize up with rust when they
    > were in a drawer. They were not dirty, scratched or showed any undo
    > wear. Those I cleaned up with Naval Jelly and only when they were
    > freed up did I oil them and wipe them down with oil. (Usually 556, if
    > you are familiar with that brand. It was used quite a bit in the shop
    > of the place where I worked and an appliance service man told me it
    > was a much better product than WD40, so I bought a couple of cans.)

    I imagine it's because of the different types of steel used in the tools.

    Jerry
    Jerry Attic, Jul 23, 2007
  12. Grandpa Chuck

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-07-23, Grandpa Chuck <> wrote:
    > Even though we have a dehumidifier running constantly in our basement
    > I have noticed that my hand tools that are in a good quality roll
    > around tool box are developing rust. Each drawer is lined with a
    > rubber mat.
    >
    > Does anyone have any tried and true ways to prevent the rust?
    >
    > Is there some other newsgroup where this question would be more
    > appropriate.
    >
    > Thanks friends.

    My grandfather taught me to always wipe iron or steel tools with an oily
    rag every time they are used. His garden tools lasted him a long lifetime
    and may still be giving good service to someone somewhere, well after
    they've passed their first centenary; his screwdrivers, pliers, etc
    certainly are.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jul 23, 2007
  13. Grandpa Chuck

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-07-23, Grandpa Chuck <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:42:48 -1000, Mitch <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Grandpa Chuck
    >><> wrote:

    [...]

    > I don't understand why some, as in a relative small percentage, of
    > tools in good condition have begun to show a little rust. I first
    > noticed it on a 10" pair of needle nose pliers. In the past I have had
    > a couple of small side cutters actually seize up with rust when they
    > were in a drawer. They were not dirty, scratched or showed any undo
    > wear. Those I cleaned up with Naval Jelly and only when they were
    > freed up did I oil them and wipe them down with oil. (Usually 556, if
    > you are familiar with that brand. It was used quite a bit in the shop
    > of the place where I worked and an appliance service man told me it
    > was a much better product than WD40, so I bought a couple of cans.)

    Iron + atmosphere = RUST. It's a Fact of Life. Even 'stainless steel'
    /will/ corrode, although not as easily as 'mild steel' or 'cast iron'.
    Some steels are better than others at resisting rust, but most things made
    of steel have slight imperfections in the surface or contaminants in the
    metal itself which will act as weak points for the start of corrosion.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jul 23, 2007
  14. Grandpa Chuck

    dadiOH Guest

    Grandpa Chuck wrote:
    > Even though we have a dehumidifier running constantly in our
    > basement I have noticed that my hand tools that are in a good
    > quality roll around tool box are developing rust. Each drawer is
    > lined with a rubber mat.
    >
    > Does anyone have any tried and true ways to prevent the rust?

    Prevent? Totally? No.

    Help? Put camphor (mothballs) in the tool box drawers.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Jul 23, 2007
  15. Grandpa Chuck

    samuel Guest

    Grandpa Chuck <> wrote in

    > Even though we have a dehumidifier running constantly in our
    > basement I have noticed that my hand tools that are in a good
    > quality roll around tool box are developing rust. Each drawer
    > is lined with a rubber mat.
    >
    > Does anyone have any tried and true ways to prevent the rust?

    mineral oil like others say not wd40

    > Is there some other newsgroup where this question would be
    > more appropriate.

    home repair

    samuel, Jul 23, 2007
  16. Grandpa Chuck

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Mon, 23 Jul 2007 03:10:59 GMT, Without Any Hesitation Or
    Thinking Twice, Grandpa Chuck Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
    The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:

    > Thank you.
    > Please read my reply to Mitch.
    > Good to see you hanging around here Old Gringo.

    Hope it all works out for you. I was around before they invented the
    spray can and WD40, prior to that #2 grade fuel oil was used. Any
    oils especially mineral oil will Leave a residue that will build and
    cause the tools to become sticky. Good Luck

    > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 01:52:56 GMT, Old Gringo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Or About Mon, 23 Jul 2007 01:30:18 GMT, Without Any Hesitation Or
    >>Thinking Twice, Grandpa Chuck Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
    >>The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
    >>
    >>> Even though we have a dehumidifier running constantly in our basement
    >>> I have noticed that my hand tools that are in a good quality roll
    >>> around tool box are developing rust. Each drawer is lined with a
    >>> rubber mat.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have any tried and true ways to prevent the rust?
    >>>
    >>> Is there some other newsgroup where this question would be more
    >>> appropriate.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks friends.

    >>wipe them with a rag sprayed with WD40

    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    7/23/2007 8:29:27 AM CST
    Old Gringo, Jul 23, 2007
  17. Grandpa Chuck

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:09:02 -0700, Without Any Hesitation
    Or Thinking Twice, pcbutts1 Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
    The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:

    > Sorry Mitch but WD-40 was invented for this purpose. The "WD" stands for
    > "Water Displacement" See here
    > http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html

    :) Thanks
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    7/23/2007 8:36:00 AM CST
    Old Gringo, Jul 23, 2007
  18. Grandpa Chuck

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-07-23, dadiOH <> wrote:
    > Grandpa Chuck wrote:
    >> Even though we have a dehumidifier running constantly in our
    >> basement I have noticed that my hand tools that are in a good
    >> quality roll around tool box are developing rust. Each drawer is
    >> lined with a rubber mat.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any tried and true ways to prevent the rust?

    > Prevent? Totally? No.

    You could try setting them inside a solid acrylic block - but watch out
    for those bubbles.

    > Help? Put camphor (mothballs) in the tool box drawers.

    Just don't breathe anywhere nearby!

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jul 23, 2007
  19. Grandpa Chuck

    Mitch Guest

    In article <f81d5h$5bt$>, pcbutts1
    <> wrote:

    > Sorry Mitch but WD-40 was invented for this purpose. The "WD" stands for
    > "Water Displacement" See here
    > http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html

    Well, that's fascinating. I didn't realize.
    In the hardware industry we had to steer people away from that product
    all the time because people assume it's a replacement for all other
    uses of oil. One problem is that for something like lubrication, it
    thins or evaporates too quickly.
    I guess in this case it is just the right application, although it
    doesn't say how long-term each application is supposed to work.
    Mitch, Jul 23, 2007
  20. Grandpa Chuck

    Leythos Guest

    In article <230720070407491278%>, says...
    > In article <f81d5h$5bt$>, pcbutts1
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Sorry Mitch but WD-40 was invented for this purpose. The "WD" stands for
    > > "Water Displacement" See here
    > > http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html

    > Well, that's fascinating. I didn't realize.
    > In the hardware industry we had to steer people away from that product
    > all the time because people assume it's a replacement for all other
    > uses of oil. One problem is that for something like lubrication, it
    > thins or evaporates too quickly.
    > I guess in this case it is just the right application, although it
    > doesn't say how long-term each application is supposed to work.

    Most people don't use it on Guns because of the crud it leaves behind.
    Most of us will use a gun oil instead. I use gun oil on my rustable hand
    tools, no nasty film later.

    --
    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    and put on his website: http://www.webservertalk.com/message1907860.html
    3rd link shows what he's exposed to children (the link I've include does
    not directly display his filth). You can find the same information by
    googling for 'PCBUTTS1' and 'exposed to kids'.
    Leythos, Jul 23, 2007