    detected as new hardware and installed. Is there a way of preventing this
    happening, so that the devices are available for the virtual machine?

    Grateful for advice.
    simonc, Apr 27, 2009

  2. simonc

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Every time you boot XP x64 it makes an attempt to load drivers for your
    printer and scanner.
    From what you say those attempts are unsuccessful.
    Doesn't XP x64 then offer you "never ask for drivers again" or something
    like that?
    Checking that option should fix your issue.
    Another thing worth trying would be to disable your printer and scanner in
    Device Manager.
    Right click on your problematic device and choose "Disable".
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 27, 2009

  3. Hello,
    If I recall properly we used to use something like scsidev.inf, renamed the
    inf and added the entries of the device using one of the entries in the
    file.
    Copy an existing entry, rename if and add the PNP replacing the existing
    PNP ID.
    This inf if I recall the name has the nodrv entries in it.
    But that was back in the Windows 2000 days.
    What the inf does is use the created entry for the device, telling it
    either to install a null driver or the device doesn't need a driver.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Apr 28, 2009
  4. Hi,
    i have never tried this:

    you may disable plug and play SERVICE on the host
    and / or UNIVERSAL plug and play service

    jk
    Juergen Kluth, Apr 28, 2009