Preventing automatic access to specific WiFi networks

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Mark Rae, Jul 13, 2006.

  1. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    Hi,

    I have a fairly standard Toshiba laptop with an internal wi-fi- network
    card, and Windows XP Pro + SP2 with all the latest updates and patches.

    I also have a fairly standard NetGear WG602v2 54Mbps wireless router with
    WPA-PSK enabled.

    Under normal circumstances, the laptop finds my wi-fi network straightaway
    and connects automatically.

    However, occasionally it doesn't, and connects to my neighbour's totally
    unsecured network instead. Why they will not secure their network is beyond
    me, but that's another story...

    So, is there any way I can tell WinXP *not* to connect to a specific network
    even though it has detected it?

    I've done a quick trawl through Google, but have drawn a blank. I wouldn't
    mind paying for a resonably-priced 3rd-party utility, if necessary.

    Any assistance gratefully received.

    Mark

    Mark Rae, Jul 13, 2006

  2. Mark Rae

    Malke Guest

    Mark Rae wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a fairly standard Toshiba laptop with an internal wi-fi- network
    > card, and Windows XP Pro + SP2 with all the latest updates and patches.
    >
    > I also have a fairly standard NetGear WG602v2 54Mbps wireless router with
    > WPA-PSK enabled.
    >
    > Under normal circumstances, the laptop finds my wi-fi network straightaway
    > and connects automatically.
    >
    > However, occasionally it doesn't, and connects to my neighbour's totally
    > unsecured network instead. Why they will not secure their network is
    > beyond me, but that's another story...
    >
    > So, is there any way I can tell WinXP *not* to connect to a specific
    > network even though it has detected it?

    I don't think you can tell it to not connect to a specific network but you
    can tell it to only connect to preferred networks. Then when you are home
    it will only connect to yours.

    When you are out of town or at an Internet cafe, you'd need to add their
    network to the list of preferred networks and then remove it afterwards (if
    you'll never go there again).

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Jul 13, 2006

  3. "Mark Rae" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a fairly standard Toshiba laptop with an internal wi-fi- network
    > card, and Windows XP Pro + SP2 with all the latest updates and patches.
    >
    > I also have a fairly standard NetGear WG602v2 54Mbps wireless router with
    > WPA-PSK enabled.
    >
    > Under normal circumstances, the laptop finds my wi-fi network straightaway
    > and connects automatically.
    >
    > However, occasionally it doesn't, and connects to my neighbour's totally
    > unsecured network instead. Why they will not secure their network is
    > beyond me, but that's another story...
    >
    > So, is there any way I can tell WinXP *not* to connect to a specific
    > network even though it has detected it?

    In one way, yes. You can edit the properties for your neighbour's SSID on
    your NIC and add a password. When it attempts to connect, it wont make it.
    That doesn't mean it will automatically connect to your own but it DOES mean
    it will stop connecting to the neighbour's network.

    If you are friendly enough with the neighbour, mention to them that with an
    unsecured wi-fi network, the nicest thing that can happen if someone chooses
    is to steal their bandwidth. It can get a whole lot worse such and I think
    you KNOW the disgusting stuff that THE Feds will point the finger at THEM
    for if they get used for that purpose.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 13, 2006
  4. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Malke" <> wrote in message

    > I don't think you can tell it to not connect to a specific network but you
    > can tell it to only connect to preferred networks. Then when you are home
    > it will only connect to yours.

    OK - I'll do a search for how to do that...

    > When you are out of town or at an Internet cafe, you'd need to add their
    > network to the list of preferred networks and then remove it afterwards
    > (if
    > you'll never go there again).

    I understand - thanks.

    Mark Rae, Jul 13, 2006
  5. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Diamontina Cocktail" <> wrote in message

    > In one way, yes. You can edit the properties for your neighbour's SSID on
    > your NIC and add a password. When it attempts to connect, it wont make it.
    > That doesn't mean it will automatically connect to your own but it DOES
    > mean it will stop connecting to the neighbour's network.

    OK - I'll do a search for how to do that - thanks.

    > If you are friendly enough with the neighbour, mention to them that with
    > an unsecured wi-fi network, the nicest thing that can happen if someone
    > chooses is to steal their bandwidth. It can get a whole lot worse such and
    > I think you KNOW the disgusting stuff that THE Feds will point the finger
    > at THEM for if they get used for that purpose.

    Have tried, but they seem not interested. This is, in fact, one of the main
    reasons for what I'm trying to do. If they do get hacked (and they're almost
    bound to, sooner or later!), the last think I want is the police finding log
    entries with my laptop's MAC address...

    Mark Rae, Jul 13, 2006
  6. Mark Rae

    Lem Guest

    Mark Rae wrote:
    > "Malke" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I don't think you can tell it to not connect to a specific network but you
    >> can tell it to only connect to preferred networks. Then when you are home
    >> it will only connect to yours.

    > OK - I'll do a search for how to do that...
    >
    >> When you are out of town or at an Internet cafe, you'd need to add their
    >> network to the list of preferred networks and then remove it afterwards
    >> (if
    >> you'll never go there again).

    > I understand - thanks.

    Let me emphasize the advice in Malke's last paragraph. Assuming that
    you are using Windows wireless zero configuration, when you "check for
    available wireless networks" and then select an available network to
    connect to, Windows _automatically_ adds that network to your list of
    preferred networks, and places it at the top of the list. This means
    that if, for example, you connect to a network with a common default
    SSID (e.g., Linksys), you will subsequently preferentially connect to
    _any_ network with that SSID unless you manually remove it from the list
    or at least move it lower down.

    Lem, Jul 13, 2006
  7. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Lem" <> wrote in message

    > Let me emphasize the advice in Malke's last paragraph. Assuming that you
    > are using Windows wireless zero configuration, when you "check for
    > available wireless networks" and then select an available network to
    > connect to, Windows _automatically_ adds that network to your list of
    > preferred networks, and places it at the top of the list. This means that
    > if, for example, you connect to a network with a common default SSID
    > (e.g., Linksys), you will subsequently preferentially connect to _any_
    > network with that SSID unless you manually remove it from the list or at
    > least move it lower down.

    Thanks for that.

    Mark Rae, Jul 13, 2006
  8. "Mark Rae" <> wrote in message
    > "Diamontina Cocktail" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> In one way, yes. You can edit the properties for your neighbour's SSID on
    >> your NIC and add a password. When it attempts to connect, it wont make
    >> it. That doesn't mean it will automatically connect to your own but it
    >> DOES mean it will stop connecting to the neighbour's network.

    > OK - I'll do a search for how to do that - thanks.

    It depends on which configuration prog you use, Windows or the NIC's one
    from the manufacturer. If Windows, simply go to Network Connections, right
    click on your NIC and choose Properties then go to Wireless Networks tab
    where you will see, in front of you, your own SSID and your neighbour's and
    any other your NIC can see. Clcik once on the neighbour's SSID then
    Properties and you have the opportunity to change from an open network to,
    say, a WEP using network (which is all you need). Add any old password there
    and then OK your way out and it will remember that from then on.

    >> If you are friendly enough with the neighbour, mention to them that with
    >> an unsecured wi-fi network, the nicest thing that can happen if someone
    >> chooses is to steal their bandwidth. It can get a whole lot worse such
    >> and I think you KNOW the disgusting stuff that THE Feds will point the
    >> finger at THEM for if they get used for that purpose.

    > Have tried, but they seem not interested. This is, in fact, one of the
    > main reasons for what I'm trying to do. If they do get hacked (and they're
    > almost bound to, sooner or later!), the last think I want is the police
    > finding log entries with my laptop's MAC address...

    They are also open to someone just ruining everything for them by putting a
    trojan/virus on their machinery and/or changing their router's details so
    no-one but the hacker can get on. If that happens, that will change their
    minds for them.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 13, 2006
  9. Mark Rae

    > It depends

    <snip>

    Thanks again.

    Mark Rae, Jul 13, 2006
  10. Hi
    Many Toshibas (and others) load an handful of Junk and sometimes their own
    Wireless Utility and WZC at Startup.
    Check you system to make sure that you are running one or the other but not
    both.
    Look at this page it might help further, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 14, 2006
  11. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    > Many Toshibas (and others) load an handful of Junk and sometimes their own
    > Wireless Utility and WZC at Startup.
    > Check you system to make sure that you are running one or the other but
    > not both.

    That's interesting to know - I'll certainly check that.

    > Look at this page it might help further,
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html

    Can't find that particular page, but the site itself looks very useful -
    thanks again.

    Mark Rae, Jul 14, 2006