Prevent Worm Infections from Causing Damage

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TechNews, May 20, 2004.

  1. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    The Sasser warm has proven, yet once again, that Windows has such a flawed
    design that it makes the operating system way too vulnerable and therefore
    unsuitable for mission-critical projects. The warm (and its variants) is
    able to take advantage of "holes" that only Microsfot products seem to have.

    News stories are flowing in with reports from all over the world on how the
    Sasser warm is wrecking havoc on government computers, enterprices, and
    small businesses... not to mention home users.

    This represents one more link in a continous stream of disasters that
    experts have attributed to the inherent poor design of Microsoft Windows
    ME/XP/2000/2003. While Microsoft's marketing machine is very busy endearing
    the public with buzzwords such as "Trustworthy Computing", security experts
    continue to release advisories in what seems and endless effort to fix this
    mess.

    If your work is important enough to you, then the effort must be made to
    ensure that your computer is always available. Security, reliability and
    stability are not qualities to be taken lightly, or left to an operating
    system with a deplorable track record, such as Windows.

    To ensure that your computer is "highly available" (i.e. secure, reliable
    and dependable), you must replace Windows with an operating system that was
    designed from the ground up to be reliable and secure. Below are links that
    should be helpful to anyone who believes that time and data are investments
    worth protecting.

    http://www.suse.com
    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/
    http://www.redhat.com
    http://www.lindows.com
    http://www.lycoris.com
    http://www.turbolinux.com
    http://www.linuxhq.com/vendors/
    http://www.nvu.com/

    --
    Reliability:Speed:Security

    TechNews, May 20, 2004

  2. TechNews

    gb Guest

    I have had a computer for about 6 years now and have never had a problem
    using Windows in this way.

    Education is key.

    And at that, would you like some spelling education? :)

    gb

    gb, May 21, 2004

  3. TechNews

    D Guest

    "TechNews" <> wrote in message
    > The Sasser warm has proven, yet once again, that Windows has such a flawed
    > design that it makes the operating system way too vulnerable and therefore
    > unsuitable for mission-critical projects. The warm (and its variants) is
    > able to take advantage of "holes" that only Microsfot products seem to

    have.

    > News stories are flowing in with reports from all over the world on how

    the
    > Sasser warm is wrecking havoc on government computers, enterprices, and
    > small businesses... not to mention home users.
    >
    > This represents one more link in a continous stream of disasters that
    > experts have attributed to the inherent poor design of Microsoft Windows
    > ME/XP/2000/2003. While Microsoft's marketing machine is very busy

    endearing
    > the public with buzzwords such as "Trustworthy Computing", security

    experts
    > continue to release advisories in what seems and endless effort to fix

    this
    > mess.
    >
    > If your work is important enough to you, then the effort must be made to
    > ensure that your computer is always available. Security, reliability and
    > stability are not qualities to be taken lightly, or left to an operating
    > system with a deplorable track record, such as Windows.
    >
    > To ensure that your computer is "highly available" (i.e. secure, reliable
    > and dependable), you must replace Windows with an operating system that

    was
    > designed from the ground up to be reliable and secure. Below are links

    that
    > should be helpful to anyone who believes that time and data are

    investments
    > worth protecting.
    >
    > http://www.suse.com
    > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/
    > http://www.redhat.com
    > http://www.lindows.com
    > http://www.lycoris.com
    > http://www.turbolinux.com
    > http://www.linuxhq.com/vendors/
    > http://www.nvu.com/
    >
    > --
    > Reliability:Speed:Security

    Linux maybe more secure than Windows but it needs to come out of the late
    '80s. The damn thing still relies on the CLI too much like my old Amiga
    A500.

    D, May 21, 2004
  4. TechNews

    Pat Guest

    > The Sasser warm has proven, yet once again, that Windows has such a flawed

    design that it makes the operating system way too vulnerable and therefore
    unsuitable for mission-critical projects. The warm (and its variants) is
    able to take advantage of "holes" that only Microsfot products seem to have.

    Like this one?
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/cmp/20600174&cid=74&ncid=74&sid=96479365

    'Extremely Critical' Security Hole Found In Mac OS X'

    Pat in TX

    Pat, May 21, 2004
  5. TechNews

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, D mused:

    | The damn thing still relies on the CLI too much like my old Amiga
    | A500.

    Ooohhh ... memories. ;-)

    mhicaoidh, May 21, 2004