    minutes after I do an update telling me to restart my computer? It's a pain
    in the ass and seriously interrupts my workflow. I'll restart in my own
    good time, thank you very much Microsoft.
    Nik Coughlin, Apr 20, 2006

  2. Nik Coughlin

    . Guest

    In article <44470678$>, says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Anyone know how I stop the Windows Update thingy from popping up every 10
    > minutes after I do an update telling me to restart my computer? It's a pain
    > in the ass and seriously interrupts my workflow. I'll restart in my own
    > good time, thank you very much Microsoft.

    I think stopping (not disable) the 'Automatic Updates' service, the
    service will restart when you reboot.

    This could be useful as well:
    ., Apr 20, 2006

  3. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    .. wrote:
    > In article <44470678$>, says...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Anyone know how I stop the Windows Update thingy from popping up
    >> every 10 minutes after I do an update telling me to restart my
    >> computer? It's a pain in the ass and seriously interrupts my
    >> workflow. I'll restart in my own good time, thank you very much
    >> Microsoft.
    >>

    > I think stopping (not disable) the 'Automatic Updates' service, the
    > service will restart when you reboot.
    >
    > This could be useful as well:
    > http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000294.html

    Excellent, thanks for that.
    Nik Coughlin, Apr 20, 2006
  4. Nik Coughlin

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Nik,

    > I'll restart in my own good time, thank you very much Microsoft.

    meanwhile you will be running un-patched, you only get thoes prompts if the
    update requries a restart.

    if it *really* annoys you just drag the window off the edge of your screen.

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek
    Steven H, Apr 20, 2006
  5. Nik Coughlin

    Stu Fleming Guest

    Steven H wrote:
    > Hello Nik,
    >
    >> I'll restart in my own good time, thank you very much Microsoft.

    > meanwhile you will be running un-patched, you only get thoes prompts if
    > the update requries a restart.
    >
    > if it *really* annoys you just drag the window off the edge of your screen.

    ....and watch out for the Remote Desktop restart gotcha.
    i.e. if doing remote admin and get Windows updates, Restart means:
    "Install updates. Shut down (power off)."
    Stu Fleming, Apr 20, 2006
  6. Nik Coughlin

    Alan Guest

    "Stu Fleming" <> wrote in message
    > Steven H wrote:
    >> Hello Nik,
    >>
    >>> I'll restart in my own good time, thank you very much Microsoft.

    >> meanwhile you will be running un-patched, you only get thoes
    >> prompts if the update requries a restart.
    >>
    >> if it *really* annoys you just drag the window off the edge of your
    >> screen.

    > ...and watch out for the Remote Desktop restart gotcha.
    > i.e. if doing remote admin and get Windows updates, Restart means:
    > "Install updates. Shut down (power off)."

    Hi,

    How do you avoid that happening?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Apr 20, 2006
  7. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Steven H wrote:
    > Hello Nik,
    >
    >> I'll restart in my own good time, thank you very much Microsoft.

    > meanwhile you will be running un-patched, you only get thoes prompts
    > if the update requries a restart.

    Not for long though. It just annoys me when I am in the middle of a complex
    project, have a lot of different files open, holding a lot of information in
    my short term memory. Last thing I want is to have to shut everything down
    and restart or be distracted by a dialog popping up every 10 minutes.

    > if it *really* annoys you just drag the window off the edge of your
    > screen.

    Hey, I didn't think of that! I've done it before too, though not with this
    particular dialog. Thanks for the heads up. I actually ended up changing
    the reminder time from 10 minutes to 120 minutes using the link posted by
    "."
    Nik Coughlin, Apr 20, 2006
  8. Nik Coughlin

    David Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Anyone know how I stop the Windows Update thingy from popping up every 10
    > minutes after I do an update telling me to restart my computer? It's a pain
    > in the ass and seriously interrupts my workflow. I'll restart in my own
    > good time, thank you very much Microsoft.

    Just type "net stop wuauserv" (without the quotes) in yer run box and
    hit OK.
    David, Apr 20, 2006
  9. Nik Coughlin

    Alan Guest

    "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Nik,
    >
    >> I'll restart in my own good time, thank you very much Microsoft.

    > meanwhile you will be running un-patched, you only get thoes prompts
    > if the update requries a restart.
    >
    > if it *really* annoys you just drag the window off the edge of your
    > screen.
    >
    > ----------------
    > Steven H
    >
    > the madGeek

    I haven't tried it, so I could be off base, but a potential issue
    comes to mind:

    If you do this, then wouldn't that window grab the focus again 10 mins
    later, and if you are typing, and happened to press N (or whatever the
    keyboard shortcut to reboot) you would lose whatever you are working
    on?

    Perhaps if you just drag the dialogue off the screen it doesn't grab
    the focus again?

    Alan, Apr 20, 2006
  10. Nik Coughlin

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Nik,

    >> meanwhile you will be running un-patched, you only get thoes prompts
    >> if the update requries a restart.
    >>

    > Not for long though. It just annoys me when I am in the middle of a
    > complex project, have a lot of different files open, holding a lot of
    > information in my short term memory. Last thing I want is to have to
    > shut everything down and restart or be distracted by a dialog popping
    > up every 10 minutes.

    yep mee too :)

    quite funny sometimes when i do get around to rebooting my comp how faster
    it is when i do (i usually have so much stuff loaded that i forget about).

    > I actually ended up
    > changing the reminder time from 10 minutes to 120 minutes using the
    > link posted by "."

    orsome.... will use it tooo - thanks '.'

    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Apr 20, 2006