prevent user from seeing security tab

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?SGVucmlrIEVyaWtzc29u?=, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. I have an win 2003 domain with user who are able to see perrmissions on files and folders is their anyway to prevent them from seeing the security tab on files folders and object. now they can basicly change permission for the admin on files they create.

    Need help this will cause serious problems !!!

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVucmlrIEVyaWtzc29u?=, Jun 6, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SGVucmlrIEVyaWtzc29u?=

    EviL KerneL Guest

    Being a paper MCSE isnt working out as well as you thought it would eh? So
    now you come to the MCSE newsgroups to get help from those who actually
    study the material.

    Read a friggin book, do some research! You're getting paid to take care of
    a domain and you don't know how to do the most basic of things? Sorry, but
    if you question was a complicated one I would take the time to help you, but
    you obviously don't know your a$$ from your elbow.

    good luck~

    --
    "The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher
    esteem those who think alike than those who think differently"-Friedrich

    EviL KerneL, Jun 7, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SGVucmlrIEVyaWtzc29u?=

    TechGeekPro Guest

    You wouldn't be unemployed, would you?

    TechGeekPro, Jun 7, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SGVucmlrIEVyaWtzc29u?=

    Samantha Guest

    Hi Henrik,

    I don't know anything about the 2003 operating system, but
    it seems to me that you may have a rights, or permissions
    issue, or both.

    1. Check to see that your users are not members of a high
    level built-in security groups like administrators,
    enterprise admin, domain admin etc, and the only built-in
    security group they are members of is domain users.

    2. Next check your permissions on your root, and folder
    hierchy, maybe at some level you have given the users Full
    control, or modify permissions and they are inheriting
    this permission all the way down to the individual files.

    hope this helps.

    Best regards
    Samantha

    Samantha, Jun 7, 2004
  5. circa Sun, 6 Jun 2004 21:19:49 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Samantha
    () said,
    > I don't know anything about the 2003 operating system, but
    > it seems to me that you may have a rights, or permissions
    > issue, or both.
    >
    > 1. Check to see that your users are not members of a high
    > level built-in security groups like administrators,
    > enterprise admin, domain admin etc, and the only built-in
    > security group they are members of is domain users.
    >
    > 2. Next check your permissions on your root, and folder
    > hierchy, maybe at some level you have given the users Full
    > control, or modify permissions and they are inheriting
    > this permission all the way down to the individual files.
    >
    > hope this helps.

    No, actually, s/he is referencing default behavior- in NT, in Windows
    2000, in XP, in Windows Server 2003...

    "now they can basicly change permission for the admin on files they
    create.."

    Creator Owner always has full control of objects s/he has created,
    and can, indeed, change Administrators' permissions. However,
    administrators can turn right around and take ownership of the
    objects in question to change permissions again.

    Laura
    -Oscar Wilde

    Laura A. Robinson, Jun 7, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SGVucmlrIEVyaWtzc29u?=

    Guest Guest

    Hi Henrik,

    Something I am not clear on: Can they change the
    permissions on files other than their own, or only on the
    files that they create? If it is on files that they create
    then: What's the problem? Users generally have greater
    control of their own files and folders. Like Laura has
    said as a Network Administrator you can take permission of
    their files and folders. But why would you want to? I
    have found that when you do that, and implement a qouta
    system on the drive it does not represent a true usage by
    user. Now, if they can change the permissions on files &
    folders other than their own then you need to move quickly
    and correct this.

    Best regards
    Samantha

    Guest, Jun 7, 2004
  7. For XP Pro computers you can configure user configuration/administrative
    templates/Windows components/Windows Explorer - remove security tab. Keep in mind
    that policy will apply to all domain users unless you use GPO filtering or put the
    users in an OU separate from users you do not want the policy to apply to. For W2K
    computers, see the links below. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303153
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;193826

    Steven L Umbach, Jun 8, 2004