    Can I prevent the user on XP Home from using the wifi config utility? I'll
    try setting her to "limited" account but is there a way to disable the
    ability to choose the wifi network?

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJ1Y2UgaW4gSWRhaG8=?=, Feb 13, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QnJ1Y2UgaW4gSWRhaG8=?=

    Malke Guest

    Bruce in Idaho wrote:

    > I set up my router to block my kid's network connection after 9:00PM.
    > So what happens when the clock strikes nine? She opens up the wifi
    > configuration utility and connects to the neighbor's unsecured
    > network! There are two unsecured networks available. I'll have to talk
    > to the neighbors and explain their vulnerability.
    >
    > Can I prevent the user on XP Home from using the wifi config utility?
    > I'll try setting her to "limited" account but is there a way to
    > disable the ability to choose the wifi network?

    Home Edition does not allow the fine-grained permissions you get with
    Pro. However, there are two things to try:

    1. Doug Knox's Security Console - This little app may do what you want.
    In any case, it can't hurt. Get it from his site at www.dougknox.com.

    2. I know what would happen to my kids if either of them defied me that
    way. No computer and some really heavy punishment. Frankly, this is a
    better choice than #1 above, but it's your call.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Feb 13, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QnJ1Y2UgaW4gSWRhaG8=?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    You can log to the WinXP services, and Disable the WZC service, use the
    original Brand util. if you need to configure the wireless.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 13, 2005
  4. If the laptop is not connecting via wireless during the allowed times then
    an administrator on the machine can disable the Wireless Zero Configuration
    service. If this service is set to disabled windows wireless networking
    will be unavailable and a limited user is not permitted to start the
    service.

    newsgroup purposes only.

    Jim Seifert [MSFT], Feb 16, 2005