    think its a CD or DVD ;)

    Happy Christmas to everyone in alt.computer as well btw!

    John

    John, Dec 26, 2007

  2. John

    Guest

    On Dec 26, 6:23 pm, John <> wrote:
    > I have a small issue with my external usb Hard Drive. Once in a while
    > when I switch it on to make a backup, it auto-plays. Does anyone know
    > how to prevent it from auto-running when you switch it on? It seems to
    > think its a CD or DVD ;)
    >
    > Happy Christmas to everyone in alt.computer as well btw!
    >
    > John

    Is AutoPlay that little window that pops up that asks you if you want
    to Browse the disk, amongst other things? I find it useful, I just
    double click browse. It saves me doing start..run...x:\ or "my
    computer..."

    I have not tried this, but some links say that TweakUI Power Toy lets
    you disable it on a per drive basis.

    A site mentions that for CDs, you can hold shift while inserting it.
    And a site mentions an option in GPEDIT.MSC
    http://www.tunexp.com/tips/work_with_multimedia/turn_off_autoplay_for_program_cds/
    That program does registry hacks automatically. Usually or always when
    windows GUI does not let you change the option.

    There is also the older thing. AutoRun, which I am familiar with. That
    I have seen with CDs but could work on hard drives too. They have a
    file in the root directory called autorun.inf e.g. d:\autorun.inf
    Look at it in notepad, it refers to some EXE file that launches.
    That is useful to know if you want to get an installation CD running
    the setup EXE, "push" the CD out and ""push"" it [back] in.
    Also useful to see the file that it should be running.
    If it is a hard drive, then you can of course delete that file.

    I have never had to turn off autorun, but this article has many ways

    , Dec 28, 2007