    remove the password.

    Any suggestions?

    , Feb 5, 2006

  2. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    spewed forth:
    > Help!
    >
    > I am running XP. How can I prevent someone from installing software
    > on my PC? I think my gf has obtained some sort of "keystroke
    > tracking" or password finder software that she is planning to install
    > on my home pc. We do share a home, so I can't monitor her use on my
    > computer when I'm not around. Is there a way to set a password for
    > installations? I don't want to set a Windows password because a)
    > she'll think that I know something is up, and b) she knows how to
    > boot into Safe Mode and remove the password.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    1) If you can't trust her, get out NOW.

    2) Setup individual user accounts. Set up passwords. Set a password on the
    administrator account (safe mode). Make her account "limited user".

    Toolman Tim, Feb 5, 2006

  3. Guest

    I'm working on the 1st piece of advice.

    My goal is for her not to know that I know she is trying to install
    this software. If I start with passwords on the PC, she'll know
    something is up. How can I limit the installation? Would it be
    possible to create an account for me, leave the PC on all the time, but
    have my user account be denied installation rights?

    , Feb 5, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > Help!
    >
    > I am running XP. How can I prevent someone from installing software on
    > my PC? I think my gf has obtained some sort of "keystroke tracking" or
    > password finder software that she is planning to install on my home pc.
    > We do share a home, so I can't monitor her use on my computer when I'm
    > not around. Is there a way to set a password for installations? I
    > don't want to set a Windows password because a) she'll think that I
    > know something is up, and b) she knows how to boot into Safe Mode and
    > remove the password.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Non-destructively re-partition the drive into two primary partitions.
    Copy the normal partition onto the second.
    Have a bootable floppy that allows you to change the active partition
    and hide the inactive one.
    Unless she spots that half the drive has disappeared - she probably
    won't realise that the system that she uses isn't the same as the one
    that you use when you don't want her to know what you are doing...
    She can then install what she likes - you could always amuse yourself by
    booting into "her" partition and leave files for her to find.. you
    probably have ideas of what would be fun to put in them..

    The idea is extendable. With two gf, create three primary partitions.
    With >3 gf, well, you probably don't have the time or the energy to play
    with computers...

    Also works with b/f..most teenage children..etc.

    --
    Sue

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Feb 5, 2006
  5. wrote:

    > I'm working on the 1st piece of advice.
    >
    > My goal is for her not to know that I know she is trying to install
    > this software. If I start with passwords on the PC, she'll know
    > something is up.

    Tell her you just got a Windows Update that now requires all users to
    have accounts and passwords. May work.

    > How can I limit the installation? Would it be possible to create an
    > account for me, leave the PC on all the time, but have my user
    > account be denied installation rights?

    You could set up two accounts, one an Administrator, and the other a
    limited user. Log in as the limited for all your regular business and
    leave it sit in that mode. If you need to install something, log out and
    back in as the administrator, do your thing, then reverse the process.

    Do not ever forget the administrator username and password.

    However, Toolman's first advice still stands. If you can't trust each
    other, your relationship is over. The burning question is what have
    *you* been doing that *she* needs a keylogger!

    Get Spybot S&D as well. It finds keyloggers.
    http://safer-networking.org/en/download/

    BTW, please have a read of this page:
    http://safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 5, 2006
  6. Guest

    Thanks for all the tips.

    To answer the last poster, lol.....honestly, nothing. I am ready to
    move on, she is not. In the meantime, I think she wants to get my
    passwords to mess with me after she is out of the house and maybe keep
    track of what/who I am doing. ;)

    Since I do a lot of online banking, I really wouldn't feel safe with
    her having those passwords.

    Thanks again!

    , Feb 5, 2006
  7. FML Guest

    wrote:
    > Help!
    >
    > I am running XP. How can I prevent someone from installing software on
    > my PC? I think my gf has obtained some sort of "keystroke tracking" or
    > password finder software that she is planning to install on my home pc.
    > We do share a home, so I can't monitor her use on my computer when I'm
    > not around. Is there a way to set a password for installations? I
    > don't want to set a Windows password because a) she'll think that I
    > know something is up, and b) she knows how to boot into Safe Mode and
    > remove the password.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    RUN, do not walk, away from a partner you can't trust!

    FML, Feb 5, 2006
  8. Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 12:07:45 -0800, wrote:

    > I'm working on the 1st piece of advice.
    >
    > My goal is for her not to know that I know she is trying to install
    > this software. If I start with passwords on the PC, she'll know
    > something is up. How can I limit the installation? Would it be
    > possible to create an account for me, leave the PC on all the time, but
    > have my user account be denied installation rights?

    Make the account you both use limited so she can't install software. When
    you need to install something change the account type back.

    Oh and if you can't trust her, kick her to the curb. Trust me you'll be
    better off.

    Meat Plow, Feb 5, 2006
  9. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    spewed forth:
    > Thanks for all the tips.
    >
    > To answer the last poster, lol.....honestly, nothing. I am ready to
    > move on, she is not. In the meantime, I think she wants to get my
    > passwords to mess with me after she is out of the house and maybe keep
    > track of what/who I am doing. ;)
    >
    > Since I do a lot of online banking, I really wouldn't feel safe with
    > her having those passwords.

    Heh - you wouldn't believe what a friend of mine did to her ex. Something
    about posting his home-made porn collection on his website and changing his
    password so he couldn't pull them off, and then emailing links to all his
    friends at the police station he worked at <g>

    Better be careful ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Feb 5, 2006
  10. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-02-05, <> wrote:
    > Help!
    >
    > I am running XP. How can I prevent someone from installing software on
    > my PC? I think my gf has obtained some sort of "keystroke tracking" or
    > password finder software that she is planning to install on my home pc.
    > We do share a home, so I can't monitor her use on my computer when I'm
    > not around. Is there a way to set a password for installations? I
    > don't want to set a Windows password because a) she'll think that I
    > know something is up, and b) she knows how to boot into Safe Mode and
    > remove the password.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Stop using Windows. Seriously; anyone who can get to a keyboard and
    monitor attached to a machine running Windows, can pretty much do what
    they like with the Windows partition(s). You could encrypt stuff you
    don't want anyone else to read, and make sure that the 'key' is not stored
    on the computer or anywhere 'someone else' can find it - but of course the
    fact of encryption will itself arouse suspicion and curiosity.

    If you and your girl-friend don't trust each other then that is the issue
    you need to address, not counter-espionage.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 5, 2006
  11. Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    <""> wrote:

    > Help!
    >
    > I am running XP. How can I prevent someone from installing software on
    > my PC? I think my gf has obtained some sort of "keystroke tracking" or
    > password finder software that she is planning to install on my home pc.
    > We do share a home, so I can't monitor her use on my computer when I'm
    > not around. Is there a way to set a password for installations? I
    > don't want to set a Windows password because a) she'll think that I
    > know something is up, and b) she knows how to boot into Safe Mode and
    > remove the password.

    Script a daily system restore point; build one every time you leave the
    computer.
    Restore the system every time you suspect an addition.

    Can anybody verify this would work with such installed software?
    I don't think it would work for applications.

    Mitch, Feb 6, 2006
  12. dadiOH Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Heh - you wouldn't believe what a friend of mine did to her ex.
    > Something about posting his home-made porn collection on his website
    > and changing his password so he couldn't pull them off, and then
    > emailing links to all his friends at the police station he worked at
    > <g>

    URL? :)

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Feb 6, 2006
  13. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:KVGFf.35758$DV2.27566@trnddc07,
    dadiOH spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Heh - you wouldn't believe what a friend of mine did to her ex.
    >> Something about posting his home-made porn collection on his website
    >> and changing his password so he couldn't pull them off, and then
    >> emailing links to all his friends at the police station he worked at
    >> <g>

    > URL? :)

    Sorry - I didn't rate that high on her list <g>

    Toolman Tim, Feb 7, 2006