    I'm addicted to mouse gestures (makes it very easy to close down
    accidentally) and have an ancient computer that takes eons to fire up
    Firefox again! Any help would be appreciated.
    B Broome, Oct 6, 2004

  2. B Broome wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Is there anyway to prevent the entire Firefox/Mozilla browser from
    > shutting down if you close the last tab? This behaviour drives me freaking
    > insane!! I'm assuming this is a carry over from Netscape 4 (and before)
    > days when hitting close or exit would both shut down the entire application
    > but I hated it then and I hate it now. The Mozilla browsers seem to be the
    > only applications in which both close and exit have the capability to close
    > the entire application.
    >
    > I'm addicted to mouse gestures (makes it very easy to close down
    > accidentally) and have an ancient computer that takes eons to fire up
    > Firefox again! Any help would be appreciated.

    I'll try to look into this some, though someone else may have more
    imemdiate insight. I don't really know, since, when I close the last
    tab, I want the program to close.

    I am sure you have your reasons, but, just out of curiouslty, what is
    the purpose in keeping the program open with no tab open?

    By the way, the cross post may not be appreciated in some of the
    developer groups you've posted tol

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 6, 2004

  3. B Broome

    scratch Guest

    B Broome wrote:

    > Hello,
    > Is there anyway to prevent the entire Firefox/Mozilla browser from
    > shutting down if you close the last tab? This behaviour drives me freaking
    > insane!! I'm assuming this is a carry over from Netscape 4 (and before)
    > days when hitting close or exit would both shut down the entire application
    > but I hated it then and I hate it now. The Mozilla browsers seem to be the
    > only applications in which both close and exit have the capability to close
    > the entire application.

    What do you expect close to do if you don't have any other windows open?

    -scratch
    scratch, Oct 6, 2004
  4. B Broome

    Jay Catter Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> wrote in

    > B Broome wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> Is there anyway to prevent the entire Firefox/Mozilla browser
    >> from
    >> shutting down if you close the last tab? This behaviour drives me
    >> freaking insane!! I'm assuming this is a carry over from Netscape 4
    >> (and before) days when hitting close or exit would both shut down the
    >> entire application but I hated it then and I hate it now. The
    >> Mozilla browsers seem to be the only applications in which both close
    >> and exit have the capability to close the entire application.
    >>
    >> I'm addicted to mouse gestures (makes it very easy to close down
    >> accidentally) and have an ancient computer that takes eons to fire up
    >> Firefox again! Any help would be appreciated.

    I wanted the same thing. I finally did it. I am not quite sure of the
    answer because I tried different things before I got it fixed, but I think
    "Blanklast" extension is the solution.

    Jay

    Jay Catter, Oct 6, 2004
  5. scratch wrote:
    > B Broome wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >> Is there anyway to prevent the entire Firefox/Mozilla browser from
    >> shutting down if you close the last tab? This behaviour drives me
    >> freaking
    >> insane!! I'm assuming this is a carry over from Netscape 4 (and before)
    >> days when hitting close or exit would both shut down the entire
    >> application
    >> but I hated it then and I hate it now. The Mozilla browsers seem to
    >> be the
    >> only applications in which both close and exit have the capability to
    >> close
    >> the entire application.

    > What do you expect close to do if you don't have any other windows open?
    >
    > -scratch

    That's pretty much my questions as well, but everyone has their own
    needs. I am curious as to the reason though.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 6, 2004
  6. B Broome

    Jace Guest

    B Broome wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Is there anyway to prevent the entire Firefox/Mozilla browser from
    > shutting down if you close the last tab? This behaviour drives me freaking
    > insane!! I'm assuming this is a carry over from Netscape 4 (and before)
    > days when hitting close or exit would both shut down the entire application
    > but I hated it then and I hate it now. The Mozilla browsers seem to be the
    > only applications in which both close and exit have the capability to close
    > the entire application.
    >
    > I'm addicted to mouse gestures (makes it very easy to close down
    > accidentally) and have an ancient computer that takes eons to fire up
    > Firefox again! Any help would be appreciated.

    Have your tab bar close when there is only one tab open, that way the
    close button disappears...
    -jace
    Jace, Oct 6, 2004
  7. B Broome

    Steve IA Guest

    > B Broome wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > Is there anyway to prevent the entire Firefox/Mozilla browser from
    > > shutting down if you close the last tab? This behaviour drives me freaking
    > > insane!! I'm assuming this is a carry over from Netscape 4 (and before)
    > > days when hitting close or exit would both shut down the entire application
    > > but I hated it then and I hate it now. The Mozilla browsers seem to be the
    > > only applications in which both close and exit have the capability to close
    > > the entire application.

    Is this what you need?
    Tab Browser Extension> Tab> TB Preferences> Close Tab> Advanced
    Behavior> Last Tab Closing> ..select action you want.

    Steve
    soutiowa
    Steve IA, Oct 7, 2004
  8. B Broome

    zeddock Guest

    Jace wrote:
    > B Broome wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >> Is there anyway to prevent the entire Firefox/Mozilla browser from
    >> shutting down if you close the last tab? This behaviour drives me
    >> freaking
    >> insane!! I'm assuming this is a carry over from Netscape 4 (and before)
    >> days when hitting close or exit would both shut down the entire
    >> application
    >> but I hated it then and I hate it now. The Mozilla browsers seem to
    >> be the
    >> only applications in which both close and exit have the capability to
    >> close
    >> the entire application.
    >>
    >> I'm addicted to mouse gestures (makes it very easy to close down
    >> accidentally) and have an ancient computer that takes eons to fire up
    >> Firefox again! Any help would be appreciated.

    > Have your tab bar close when there is only one tab open, that way the
    > close button disappears...
    > -jace

    I have used some of the TAB extension successfully.
    BlankLast is one of them. I hate it when I am trying to close off a
    bunch of tabs I have been using and I accidentally close the last one...
    Blip! All of a sudden I have to go through a routine of adding a new tab!

    Also, have the Extension warn you if you are going to close multiple
    tabs.<wink>

    -zeddock
    zeddock, Oct 7, 2004
  9. B Broome

    B Broome Guest

    Thanks for all your replies, BlankLast extension does the trick nicely!
    As for your questions:

    >I am sure you have your reasons, but, just out of curiouslty, what is
    >the purpose in keeping the program open with no tab open?

    Mostly so it stays open and awaits my command. My computer is ancient
    and takes forever (I maybe somewhat impatient) to launch Firefox again. As
    for why do I leave it open with no tab, 1) I frequently accidently close
    everything when rapidly maneuvering with mouse gestures (I love them and
    won't give them up) 2) call it neat freakness, I just hate leaving open
    pages I'm not using. :)

    >By the way, the cross post may not be appreciated in some of the
    >developer groups you've posted tol

    My apologies to anyone who might have been offended. I tried to limit
    the number of newsgroups to ones that this might pertain to. I also left
    out any pr0n in my posting. ;-)

    >What do you expect close to do if you don't have any other windows open?

    Nothing. Try it in Opera, Excel, Word, OpenOffice, etc. etc. No
    windows open, no action. The application just sits there and waits.
    Perhaps if you have a fast machine this makes no sense. In my world "close"
    closes the window/tab and "exit" closes the whole application.

    >Have your tab bar close when there is only one tab open, that way the
    >close button disappears...

    Tried that but Firefox keeps unchecking the option on me. I think
    either Single Window or BlankLast extension is interfering. Not a problem
    for me though.

    >Also, have the Extension warn you if you are going to close multiple
    >tabs.<wink>

    Since I'm using mouse gestures to do this I'm usually down to the last
    tab by this point. I rarely close all my tabs at once.

    Thanks again! I'm much happier with Firefox now!

    B Broome, Oct 7, 2004
  10. B Broome

    6e7a

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Yes, there is a solution!

    I got fed up as well, so I wrote an extension to do exactly what you want. I call it "Anti Oops". Right now it's in the "sandbox" area of the official add-ons site. If you create an account there you can turn on access to the sandbox and install the extension.

    Enjoy!
    6e7a, Jun 22, 2007