    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, May 4, 2010

  2. On Mon, 3 May 2010 19:18:30 -0400, "Nathan Sokalski" <>
    wrote:

    >I have a USB device that is used to wirelessly communicate with another
    >device of mine. The drivers are installed automatically when the device is
    >plugged into the USB. However, because the device was designed for 32-bit
    >systems and I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, it does not want to install
    >the drivers correctly. It did everything perfectly on my previous system
    >(Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit). Is there any way to make my machine
    >"pretend" to be 32-bit when I plug the USB device in so that the drivers
    >will be installed correctly? At the rate most places are going with updating
    >drivers, plugins, and other stuff for 64-bit, I have a feeling it might be a
    >while before they give me anything designed for my system.

    Nathan,

    I have a scanner that only has a 32 bit driver. I installed it using the
    Windows XP virtual machine. This comes free with Windows 7 Ultimate -- I
    believe you need to download it from the MS web site.
    --ron

    Ron Rosenfeld, May 4, 2010

  3. Nathan Sokalski

    Carlos Guest

    Nathan,
    Have you let Windows 7 64-bit to automatically search for drivers?
    Have you gone to the "usb device" manufacturer's web site and check if Win 7
    x64 drivers are available?
    Other than that the solution is to use your usb device with Windows XP mode
    virtual machine.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 4, 2010
  4. Yes, I have let Windows 7 64-bit automatically search for drivers (including
    on the CD that came with the device), but it didn't find any. I have also
    been to the USB device manufacturer's website, and a response to an email I
    sent them they said that drivers for Windows 7 and 64-bit are not yet
    available (but 32-bit is available for Vista, which is why I am assuming
    there is some way for me to get it to work on my machine if I pretend to be
    32-bit). I have not yet tried the Windows XP mode virtual machine, so I will
    see if that works.

    Nathan Sokalski, May 4, 2010
  5. Nathan Sokalski

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <> "Nathan
    Sokalski" <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >Yes, I have let Windows 7 64-bit automatically search for drivers (including
    >on the CD that came with the device), but it didn't find any. I have also
    >been to the USB device manufacturer's website, and a response to an email I
    >sent them they said that drivers for Windows 7 and 64-bit are not yet
    >available (but 32-bit is available for Vista, which is why I am assuming
    >there is some way for me to get it to work on my machine if I pretend to be
    >32-bit). I have not yet tried the Windows XP mode virtual machine, so I will
    >see if that works.

    It's not a matter of "pretending" to be 32-bit, 32-bit drivers simply
    don't work in 64-bit.

    If your version of W7 includes XP mode, you may be able to use USB
    drivers from XP mode since XP mode is a x86/32-bit environment.

    Dave Warren, May 4, 2010
  6. Nathan Sokalski

    Tony Harding Guest

    On 05/03/10 21:11, Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    > Yes, I have let Windows 7 64-bit automatically search for drivers
    > (including on the CD that came with the device), but it didn't find any.
    > I have also been to the USB device manufacturer's website, and a
    > response to an email I sent them they said that drivers for Windows 7
    > and 64-bit are not yet available (but 32-bit is available for Vista,
    > which is why I am assuming there is some way for me to get it to work on
    > my machine if I pretend to be 32-bit). I have not yet tried the Windows
    > XP mode virtual machine, so I will see if that works.

    Not clear - 64-bit drivers for Vista? They usually work on Win 7 64-bit.

    Tony Harding, May 18, 2010
  7. Nathan Sokalski

    c d Guest

    Re: it is not a matter of "pretending" to be 32-bit, 32-bit driverssimplydo not

    Wrong - the driver author made the mistake of checking if the OS is "XP", but XP64 is actually "windows server 2003", which failed their "is this XP" check - it's a common error. If the check is bypassed, the drivers will work just fine.

    c d, Nov 28, 2010