    What would he need a lens that long for.

    Does anyone know what kind of lenses they are using? Also, how much would a
    lens like that cost?

    GovtLawyer, Jan 29, 2004

  2. GovtLawyer

    Mark M Guest

    "GovtLawyer" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've been wondering about this for some time. I've seen press

    photographers
    > with huge, foot long lenses, often white. I guess, it is a very long 300

    or
    > 400 focal length lens, which makes sense when the photographer is behind a

    rope
    > quite a distance away from the action. However, I've also noticed similar
    > lenses used indoors at press conferences or government hearings. Here,

    the
    > photographer sits on the floor no more than 15 feet away from the witness.
    > What would he need a lens that long for.
    >
    > Does anyone know what kind of lenses they are using? Also, how much would

    > lens like that cost?

    The indoor lenses are usually one of these two lenses:
    Canon 70-200 2.8 (either the IS version or non IS)
    or
    Canon 35-350.

    The latter is quite versatile due to the huge zoom ratio while still giving
    respectable results, though it has a smaller max aperture (I think 5.6).
    The 2.8 is excellent in low light where flash is frowned upon (like in
    Senate hearings, or court issues, etc.)

    Mark M, Jan 29, 2004

  3. GovtLawyer

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    The lenses you are seeing indoors are probably the 70-200 f2.8 zoom, which
    is the "press conference" lens of photojournalism. I'm sure there are
    occasional shooters who would use a 300mm at such an event but doubt a 400
    would be of much use at all.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 29, 2004
  4. GovtLawyer

    Jim Townsend Guest

    GovtLawyer wrote:

    > I've been wondering about this for some time. I've seen press photographers
    > with huge, foot long lenses, often white. I guess, it is a very long 300 or
    > 400 focal length lens, which makes sense when the photographer is behind a rope
    > quite a distance away from the action. However, I've also noticed similar
    > lenses used indoors at press conferences or government hearings. Here, the
    > photographer sits on the floor no more than 15 feet away from the witness.
    > What would he need a lens that long for.

    Canon has been painting their long 'L' series lenses white.. They're the
    top of the line lenses and are commonly used by professionals. Shorter 'L'
    lenses are black. (Under 100mm). Whether white or black, they all have a
    red ring around the end.

    Canon has a 'group shot' of their 35mm lens lineup.. You can see, there are
    a lot of white lenses.. They have zooms and primes going up to 1200mm
    (That's the giant one in the background of the link below).

    http://www.usa.canon.com/eflenses/lineup/index.html

    > Does anyone know what kind of lenses they are using? Also, how much would a
    > lens like that cost?

    The white lenses start at around $1000 and go up to the 5 digit range.

    Jim Townsend, Jan 29, 2004
  5. GovtLawyer

    Capt Nud Guest

    I would guess most of them are using the 70-200 with a few using a 300 f2.8 for
    tight head shots.

    Capt Nud, Jan 29, 2004
  6. GovtLawyer

    GovtLawyer Guest

    >I would guess most of them are using the 70-200 with a few using a 300 f2.8
    >for
    >tight head shots.

    Isn't a 300 from only around 15 feet a tad too tight?

    GovtLawyer, Jan 29, 2004
  7. GovtLawyer

    George Kerby Guest

    On 1/29/04 9:56 AM, in article ,
    "GovtLawyer" <> wrote:

    >> I would guess most of them are using the 70-200 with a few using a 300 f2.8
    >> for
    >> tight head shots.

    > Isn't a 300 from only around 15 feet a tad too tight?

    Maybe with a digi (1.6x factor). But gives a nice ECU-you can count the
    nosehairs with the Canon Florite 300mm 2.8

    George Kerby, Jan 29, 2004
  8. GovtLawyer

    TonyK Guest

    It's just the cock factor.

    TonyK, Jan 30, 2004
  9. GovtLawyer

    KBob Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 00:43:38 GMT, "Tony Spadaro"
    <> wrote:

    >The lenses you are seeing indoors are probably the 70-200 f2.8 zoom, which
    >is the "press conference" lens of photojournalism. I'm sure there are
    >occasional shooters who would use a 300mm at such an event but doubt a 400
    >would be of much use at all.

    My favorite for this kind of application was the Nikkor 200mm f/2.
    Sadly these are out of production, but I still use mine-a great
    portrait and fashion lens if you can handle its weight.

    KBob, Jan 30, 2004