Preserving photo comments?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Terry Pinnell, Mar 13, 2013.

  1. Recently I've been trying to tidy up my thousands of photos, almost all
    JPGs. For many of them I find that the JPG Comment which I carefully typed
    months or years ago has been lost.

    It's my own fault for repeatedly forgetting a major flaw in PaintShop Pro
    8, which does this whenever a JPG is edited. The Comment is corrupted
    beyond recognition and the IPTC Caption is deleted entirely. (BAD, BAD,
    Jasc!) Presumably later versions of (now Corel) PaintShop Pro have fixed
    this, but I'm too comfortable with PSP8 to change.

    I'm re-entering many of these Comments and simultaneously copying them to
    the IPTC Caption for good measure, in case there are tools which can
    access one but not the other. When they EXIST, it's so convenient to
    access them in IrfanView, although it would be handy to see both Comment
    and Caption alongside each other:

    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/IrfanVIew-Comment+Caption-1.jpg

    What do others do to preserve their notes about photos over the years and
    decades please? Of course, I can always fall back on text files, but
    that's nowhere near as convenient as data 'embedded' in the photo.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 13, 2013

  2. Terry Pinnell

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Terry Pinnell
    <> wrote:

    > What do others do to preserve their notes about photos over the years and
    > decades please? Of course, I can always fall back on text files, but
    > that's nowhere near as convenient as data 'embedded' in the photo.

    lightroom.

    nospam, Mar 13, 2013

  3. Terry Pinnell

    Mike Easter Guest

    fups acf

    nospam wrote:
    > Terry Pinnell

    >> What do others do to preserve their notes about photos over the years and
    >> decades please? Of course, I can always fall back on text files, but
    >> that's nowhere near as convenient as data 'embedded' in the photo.

    > lightroom.

    Retail $149.

    Upgrade, student/teacher licensing $79. Bundles available.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 13, 2013
  4. Terry Pinnell

    Dave Guest

    On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 17:12:54 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > Recently I've been trying to tidy up my thousands of photos, almost all
    > JPGs. For many of them I find that the JPG Comment which I carefully
    > typed months or years ago has been lost.
    >
    > It's my own fault for repeatedly forgetting a major flaw in PaintShop
    > Pro 8, which does this whenever a JPG is edited. The Comment is
    > corrupted beyond recognition and the IPTC Caption is deleted entirely.
    > (BAD, BAD, Jasc!) Presumably later versions of (now Corel) PaintShop Pro
    > have fixed this, but I'm too comfortable with PSP8 to change.
    >
    > I'm re-entering many of these Comments and simultaneously copying them
    > to the IPTC Caption for good measure, in case there are tools which can
    > access one but not the other. When they EXIST, it's so convenient to
    > access them in IrfanView, although it would be handy to see both Comment
    > and Caption alongside each other:
    >
    > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/IrfanVIew-Comment+Caption-1.jpg
    >
    > What do others do to preserve their notes about photos over the years
    > and decades please? Of course, I can always fall back on text files, but
    > that's nowhere near as convenient as data 'embedded' in the photo.

    ExifTool will let you write any data you want into the files
    EXIF,IPTC,XMP.Create your own custom tags,back it all up to csv or xml
    files,restore it anytime.
    http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

    Lots of Windows tools that use ExifTool,see-
    http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/#writing

    Dave

    --
    Registered Linux User #444770
    Fedora

    Dave, Mar 13, 2013
  5. Terry Pinnell

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
[...]

    Try adding the comment in Windows (assuming that you're using Windows). I
    think I established a couple of years ago that at least Canon's Exif data is
    unaffected by Windows comments. YMMV, of course, so you should do careful
    tests.

    Or just save a JPEG with the comments in, and never edit it without copying it
    first.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Mar 14, 2013
  6. Terry Pinnell

    Mayayana Guest

    | Try adding the comment in Windows (assuming that you're using Windows). I
    | think I established a couple of years ago that at least Canon's Exif data
    is
    | unaffected by Windows comments.

    Microsoft comments are EXIF data starting with either
    XP or Vista+. (In 2000 they're saved as alternate data
    stream files, which is only possible when Windows is installed
    on an NTFS-formatted partition.)

    The MS EXIF data tag IDs are H9C9B through H9C9F
    (40091-40095). "Comments" is a separate header section.
    (While EXIF data is marked by bytes FF E1, comments
    are marked by bytes FF FE).

    In my experience EXIF data is the most likely to be
    recognized. IPTC is less likely to be recognized. Up until
    at least XP, Windows does not recognize IPTC data.
    I doubt it recognizes the "Comments" section. I assume
    recent versions of Photoshop probably recognize all of
    these sections, but a lot of software doesn't. The latest
    version of GIMP sees EXIF and IPTC but not Comments.

    At the same time, people who use MS Office have become
    accustomed to using the Summary tab in file properties
    to add comments to Word docs, etc. When they do
    that with a JPG it will write comments to the EXIF tags
    noted above and may (will on XP) lose other non-EXIF
    data. Further, the MS tags are written in unicode, while
    other string-type tags are written in ANSI. Which is to
    say that Microsoft's decision to cook up their own EXIF
    tags may not be widely recognized. I wouldn't be surprised
    if they don't show on Macs and Linux.

    The "standards" for all this are willy nilly. IPTC data was
    cooked up by the IPTC people. Camera companies and others
    cook up their own EXIF tags. (Is anyone in charge of all that?
    I don't know.) Adobe, in keeping with XML-mania, has even
    come up with an XMP standard to store a block of XML in the
    EXIF data!

    Personally I wouldn't want any data to be saved in an edited
    file, as it's no longer relevant. But that's just my approach. I liked
    your idea of saving copies of the originals where one wants to
    preserve the camera data. For preserving other info. it seems
    that file and folder names provide a more sensible method. In
    other words, I'd rather have a folder named "NY Trip 2005" with
    a file named like "Empire State Building 1.jpg", than to have a
    pile of files named like P10020021.jpg, in which I've painstakingly
    saved comments. If I have good file and folder names I can
    remember the other info. that I might otherwise have saved as
    comments.

    Mayayana, Mar 14, 2013
  7. Dave <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 17:12:54 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >
    >> Recently I've been trying to tidy up my thousands of photos, almost all
    >> JPGs. For many of them I find that the JPG Comment which I carefully
    >> typed months or years ago has been lost.
    >>
    >> It's my own fault for repeatedly forgetting a major flaw in PaintShop
    >> Pro 8, which does this whenever a JPG is edited. The Comment is
    >> corrupted beyond recognition and the IPTC Caption is deleted entirely.
    >> (BAD, BAD, Jasc!) Presumably later versions of (now Corel) PaintShop Pro
    >> have fixed this, but I'm too comfortable with PSP8 to change.
    >>
    >> I'm re-entering many of these Comments and simultaneously copying them
    >> to the IPTC Caption for good measure, in case there are tools which can
    >> access one but not the other. When they EXIST, it's so convenient to
    >> access them in IrfanView, although it would be handy to see both Comment
    >> and Caption alongside each other:
    >>
    >> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/IrfanVIew-Comment+Caption-1.jpg
    >>
    >> What do others do to preserve their notes about photos over the years
    >> and decades please? Of course, I can always fall back on text files, but
    >> that's nowhere near as convenient as data 'embedded' in the photo.

    >ExifTool will let you write any data you want into the files
    >EXIF,IPTC,XMP.Create your own custom tags,back it all up to csv or xml
    >files,restore it anytime.
    >http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
    >
    >Lots of Windows tools that use ExifTool,see-
    >http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/#writing
    >
    >Dave

    Thanks, but looks very complicated, and I dislike most command-based apps.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 14, 2013
  8. Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >I add appropriate comments and notes via Lightroom or Photoshop when I
    >need them, and they seem for the most part to be platform neutral.
    >If I view an image in Apple's "Preview", my default JPEG viewer I have
    >access to any notes and annotation in IPTC, TIFF (extracted from "image
    >description") and GPS data.
    >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_167.jpg >
    >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_168.jpg >

    Thanks, but I have neither Lightroom nor Photoshop.

    I'm coming around to the conclusion that the easiest/safest approach is to
    add a Comments.txt file to every folder of original photos. Ideally this
    would be soon after creation, but if necessary re-constructed
    months/years/decades afterwards.

    The bulk of my photos are named like this
    20050817-162927-Ardingly.JPG

    So the entries in a typical Comments.txt might look like this:

    20060627-094912-ThamesPath Tue 27th June 09:49 Crossing Hampton Court
    Bridge at start of walk, looking downstream.

    20060627-095307-ThamesPath Tue 27th June 09:53, 0.2 mile into 13.8 mile
    walk, Hampton Court Palace.

    Making them easy to sort for later editing/identification of the photo
    when opened in IrfanView.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 14, 2013
  9. Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 17:12:54 +0000, Terry Pinnell <>
    >wrote:
    >: Recently I've been trying to tidy up my thousands of photos, almost all
    >: JPGs. For many of them I find that the JPG Comment which I carefully typed
    >: months or years ago has been lost.
    >:
    >: It's my own fault for repeatedly forgetting a major flaw in PaintShop Pro
    >: 8, which does this whenever a JPG is edited. The Comment is corrupted
    >: beyond recognition and the IPTC Caption is deleted entirely. (BAD, BAD,
    >: Jasc!) Presumably later versions of (now Corel) PaintShop Pro have fixed
    >: this, but I'm too comfortable with PSP8 to change.
    >:
    >: I'm re-entering many of these Comments and simultaneously copying them to
    >: the IPTC Caption for good measure, in case there are tools which can
    >: access one but not the other. When they EXIST, it's so convenient to
    >: access them in IrfanView, although it would be handy to see both Comment
    >: and Caption alongside each other:
    >:
    >: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/IrfanVIew-Comment+Caption-1.jpg
    >:
    >: What do others do to preserve their notes about photos over the years and
    >: decades please? Of course, I can always fall back on text files, but
    >: that's nowhere near as convenient as data 'embedded' in the photo.
    >
    >Try adding the comment in Windows (assuming that you're using Windows). I
    >think I established a couple of years ago that at least Canon's Exif data is
    >unaffected by Windows comments. YMMV, of course, so you should do careful
    >tests.
    >
    >Or just save a JPEG with the comments in, and never edit it without copying it
    >first.
    >
    >Bob

    Thanks, but (even after reading Mayayana's lengthy follow-up) I don't
    really know what you mean by 'Try adding the comment in Windows'? What are
    'Windows comments'? In what application do I add them?

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 14, 2013
  10. Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >"Mayayana" <> wrote:
    >
    >>| Try adding the comment in Windows (assuming that you're using Windows). I
    >>| think I established a couple of years ago that at least Canon's Exif data
    >>is
    >>| unaffected by Windows comments.
    >>
    >> Microsoft comments are EXIF data starting with either
    >>XP or Vista+. (In 2000 they're saved as alternate data
    >>stream files, which is only possible when Windows is installed
    >>on an NTFS-formatted partition.)
    >>
    >> The MS EXIF data tag IDs are H9C9B through H9C9F
    >>(40091-40095). "Comments" is a separate header section.
    >>(While EXIF data is marked by bytes FF E1, comments
    >>are marked by bytes FF FE).
    >>
    >> In my experience EXIF data is the most likely to be
    >>recognized. IPTC is less likely to be recognized. Up until
    >>at least XP, Windows does not recognize IPTC data.
    >>I doubt it recognizes the "Comments" section. I assume
    >>recent versions of Photoshop probably recognize all of
    >>these sections, but a lot of software doesn't. The latest
    >>version of GIMP sees EXIF and IPTC but not Comments.
    >>
    >> At the same time, people who use MS Office have become
    >>accustomed to using the Summary tab in file properties
    >>to add comments to Word docs, etc. When they do
    >>that with a JPG it will write comments to the EXIF tags
    >>noted above and may (will on XP) lose other non-EXIF
    >>data. Further, the MS tags are written in unicode, while
    >>other string-type tags are written in ANSI. Which is to
    >>say that Microsoft's decision to cook up their own EXIF
    >>tags may not be widely recognized. I wouldn't be surprised
    >>if they don't show on Macs and Linux.
    >>
    >> The "standards" for all this are willy nilly. IPTC data was
    >>cooked up by the IPTC people. Camera companies and others
    >>cook up their own EXIF tags. (Is anyone in charge of all that?
    >>I don't know.) Adobe, in keeping with XML-mania, has even
    >>come up with an XMP standard to store a block of XML in the
    >>EXIF data!
    >>
    >> Personally I wouldn't want any data to be saved in an edited
    >>file, as it's no longer relevant. But that's just my approach. I liked
    >>your idea of saving copies of the originals where one wants to
    >>preserve the camera data. For preserving other info. it seems
    >>that file and folder names provide a more sensible method. In
    >>other words, I'd rather have a folder named "NY Trip 2005" with
    >>a file named like "Empire State Building 1.jpg", than to have a
    >>pile of files named like P10020021.jpg, in which I've painstakingly
    >>saved comments. If I have good file and folder names I can
    >>remember the other info. that I might otherwise have saved as
    >>comments.
    >>

    >Thanks, but the penny hasn't dropped for me on this yet! In what
    >application(s) can I open a JPG to view/add/edit these 'Microsoft
    >comments' please?

    OK, got it! Took me a few more minutes before I realised you and Bob are
    both talking about Explorer Properties.

    Looked promising but I'm afraid PSP8 destroys those too ;-(

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 14, 2013
  11. Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >

    >>Try adding the comment in Windows (assuming that you're using Windows). I
    >>think I established a couple of years ago that at least Canon's Exif data is
    >>unaffected by Windows comments. YMMV, of course, so you should do careful
    >>tests.
    >>
    >>Or just save a JPEG with the comments in, and never edit it without copying it
    >>first.
    >>
    >>Bob

    >Thanks, but (even after reading Mayayana's lengthy follow-up) I don't
    >really know what you mean by 'Try adding the comment in Windows'? What are
    >'Windows comments'? In what application do I add them?

    OK, got it! Took me a few more minutes before I realised you and Mayayana
    mean Explorer Properties.

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 14, 2013
  12. Terry Pinnell

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Terry Pinnell
    <> wrote:

    > >I add appropriate comments and notes via Lightroom or Photoshop when I
    > >need them, and they seem for the most part to be platform neutral.
    > >If I view an image in Apple's "Preview", my default JPEG viewer I have
    > >access to any notes and annotation in IPTC, TIFF (extracted from "image
    > >description") and GPS data.
    > >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_167.jpg >
    > >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_168.jpg >

    > Thanks, but I have neither Lightroom nor Photoshop.

    so buy it. lightroom is what you want. it's designed specifically to
    manage a library of photos and let you add keywords, comments, etc. it
    does the work for you, so you don't have to.

    > I'm coming around to the conclusion that the easiest/safest approach is to
    > add a Comments.txt file to every folder of original photos. Ideally this
    > would be soon after creation, but if necessary re-constructed
    > months/years/decades afterwards.
    >
    > The bulk of my photos are named like this
    > 20050817-162927-Ardingly.JPG
    >
    > So the entries in a typical Comments.txt might look like this:
    >
    > 20060627-094912-ThamesPath Tue 27th June 09:49 Crossing Hampton Court
    > Bridge at start of walk, looking downstream.
    >
    > 20060627-095307-ThamesPath Tue 27th June 09:53, 0.2 mile into 13.8 mile
    > walk, Hampton Court Palace.
    >
    > Making them easy to sort for later editing/identification of the photo
    > when opened in IrfanView.

    that's absolutely insane. you are going to do that for every photo???

    computers are there to do work for you, not the other way around.

    nospam, Mar 14, 2013
  13. Terry Pinnell

    Dave Guest

    On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:52:11 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > Dave <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 17:12:54 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>
    >>> Recently I've been trying to tidy up my thousands of photos, almost
    >>> all JPGs. For many of them I find that the JPG Comment which I
    >>> carefully typed months or years ago has been lost.
    >>>
    >>> It's my own fault for repeatedly forgetting a major flaw in PaintShop
    >>> Pro 8, which does this whenever a JPG is edited. The Comment is
    >>> corrupted beyond recognition and the IPTC Caption is deleted entirely.
    >>> (BAD, BAD, Jasc!) Presumably later versions of (now Corel) PaintShop
    >>> Pro have fixed this, but I'm too comfortable with PSP8 to change.
    >>>
    >>> I'm re-entering many of these Comments and simultaneously copying them
    >>> to the IPTC Caption for good measure, in case there are tools which
    >>> can access one but not the other. When they EXIST, it's so convenient
    >>> to access them in IrfanView, although it would be handy to see both
    >>> Comment and Caption alongside each other:
    >>>
    >>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/IrfanVIew-Comment+Caption-1.jpg
    >>>
    >>> What do others do to preserve their notes about photos over the years
    >>> and decades please? Of course, I can always fall back on text files,
    >>> but that's nowhere near as convenient as data 'embedded' in the photo.

    >>ExifTool will let you write any data you want into the files
    >>EXIF,IPTC,XMP.Create your own custom tags,back it all up to csv or xml
    >>files,restore it anytime. http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
    >>
    >>Lots of Windows tools that use ExifTool,see-
    >>http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/#writing
    >>
    >>Dave

    > Thanks, but looks very complicated, and I dislike most command-based
    > apps.

    That's why there's GUI's made for it...
    ExifTool GUI
    http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/~bogdan/
    GUI2 for ExifTool
    http://gui2-for-exiftool.weebly.com/
    Proxel EXIF Tool (ps plugin}
    http://www.proxel.se/exif.html

    from the link..

    Dave, Mar 14, 2013
  14. Terry Pinnell

    Mayayana Guest

    | I'm coming around to the conclusion that the easiest/safest approach is to
    | add a Comments.txt file to every folder of original photos.

    Other advantages of that approach: You can quickly
    look for a photo without needing descriptive file names,
    and it's very easy to back up your comments separately
    from the photos.

    Maybe it also depends on the tools one uses. Some people
    are very comfortable with organizing via the file system.
    Others use file system interface programs like Picasa to find
    their photos and don't really know where those files are on
    disk. In fact, with the increase of such programs, along with
    the trend toward cloud backup, most people don't need to
    have any concept of a file at all. The plug in their camera
    or open Picasa and their photos are there. Those people are
    also unlikely to be doing much photo editing. So embedded
    comments make sense -- not as a matter of choice but because
    that's how comments get [trasnsparently] read and written.

    Mayayana, Mar 14, 2013
  15. Terry Pinnell

    Mayayana Guest

    | OK, got it! Took me a few more minutes before I realised you and Bob are
    | both talking about Explorer Properties.
    |
    | Looked promising but I'm afraid PSP8 destroys those too ;-(

    They're EXIF data, so they should be safer than IPTC
    data or data saved in the Comments section, but if PSP
    rebuilds the file and drops EXIF there's nothing that will
    be safe.
    I mainly use PSP5 and that does what you're describing.
    All metadata is dropped when the file is edited. That's
    always made sense to me, but I can see why one might
    want to maintain comments (as opposed to camera data)
    in an edited file.

    I got PSP7 at one point but found it irritatingly overproduced.
    I guess I'd get a RAW editor if I were dealing with printing images,
    but mostly I use it for Web images and PSP5 does what I need
    for that.

    Mayayana, Mar 14, 2013
  16. Terry Pinnell

    nospam Guest

    In article <kht40p$nnj$>, Mayayana
    <> wrote:

    > | I'm coming around to the conclusion that the easiest/safest approach is to
    > | add a Comments.txt file to every folder of original photos.
    >
    > Other advantages of that approach: You can quickly
    > look for a photo without needing descriptive file names,
    > and it's very easy to back up your comments separately
    > from the photos.

    there is no advantage to that approach. the amount of effort needed to
    maintain a text file list is prohibitive and looking for a photo is a
    multistep process, whereas other solutions is just one step.

    > Maybe it also depends on the tools one uses. Some people
    > are very comfortable with organizing via the file system.

    they don't realize that there are far better ways to do it.

    > Others use file system interface programs like Picasa to find
    > their photos and don't really know where those files are on
    > disk. In fact, with the increase of such programs, along with
    > the trend toward cloud backup, most people don't need to
    > have any concept of a file at all. The plug in their camera
    > or open Picasa and their photos are there.

    in other words, let the computer do the work for you. that's what it's
    for.

    > Those people are
    > also unlikely to be doing much photo editing.

    absolutely false.

    those people are *far* more likely to be doing significantly more
    editing because their time is not consumed by maintaining a photo
    library and other silly tasks that a computer can do far more
    effectively.

    > So embedded
    > comments make sense -- not as a matter of choice but because
    > that's how comments get [trasnsparently] read and written.

    it makes a lot of sense to use an application designed for maintaining
    a photo library instead of trying to hack something together with the
    wrong tools.

    nospam, Mar 14, 2013
  17. Terry Pinnell

    Mayayana Guest

    | I add appropriate comments and notes via Lightroom or Photoshop when I
    | need them, and they seem for the most part to be platform neutral.

    Yes, with the possible exception of Microsoft's
    EXIF tags saved as Summary properties via Explorer.

    | If I view an image in Apple's "Preview", my default JPEG viewer I have
    | access to any notes and annotation in IPTC, TIFF (extracted from "image
    | description") and GPS data.
    | < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_167.jpg >

    Very nicely designed, as is usual with Apple. But I don't have
    a viewer on Windows that shows all that. I'm guessing that the
    "General" tab may be data saved in the Comments section? Even
    Apple doesn't seem to be making that distinction clearly. I was
    trying to "disambiguate" it because it's confusing. One can have
    comments in Exif, comments in IPTC, and then there's the Comments
    section with its own marker of FF FE. It's unfortunate that there
    isn't a less confusing name for that.

    Mayayana, Mar 14, 2013
  18. Terry Pinnell

    Mayayana Guest

    | > | I'm coming around to the conclusion that the easiest/safest approach
    is to
    | > | add a Comments.txt file to every folder of original photos.
    | >
    | > Other advantages of that approach: You can quickly
    | > look for a photo without needing descriptive file names,
    | > and it's very easy to back up your comments separately
    | > from the photos.
    |
    | there is no advantage to that approach.

    opinion (uh-pin-yun) n. A point of view, as distinct from fact.

    Mayayana, Mar 14, 2013
  19. Terry Pinnell

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:39:51 -0400, "Mayayana"
    <> wrote:

    >| I add appropriate comments and notes via Lightroom or Photoshop when I
    >| need them, and they seem for the most part to be platform neutral.
    >
    > Yes, with the possible exception of Microsoft's
    >EXIF tags saved as Summary properties via Explorer.
    >
    >| If I view an image in Apple's "Preview", my default JPEG viewer I have
    >| access to any notes and annotation in IPTC, TIFF (extracted from "image
    >| description") and GPS data.
    >| < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_167.jpg >
    >
    > Very nicely designed, as is usual with Apple. But I don't have
    >a viewer on Windows that shows all that. I'm guessing that the
    >"General" tab may be data saved in the Comments section? Even
    >Apple doesn't seem to be making that distinction clearly. I was
    >trying to "disambiguate" it because it's confusing. One can have
    >comments in Exif, comments in IPTC, and then there's the Comments
    >section with its own marker of FF FE. It's unfortunate that there
    >isn't a less confusing name for that.

    If you download the free FastStone Image Viewer 4.7
    http://www.faststone.org/, you can view all images in a folder or the
    individual file. Go to an image and right click>File Properties and
    image data (but not full EXIF is there. Comments can be added in
    Details. Click on an image to enlarge to full screen, right click on
    the screen, and a panel comes up with the EXIF data and comments.

    It's a great program for other things, too. Probably the most
    versatile Windows viewer out there, but certainly a bargain since it's
    free.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Mar 14, 2013
  20. Terry Pinnell

    nospam Guest

    In article <kht5ll$1ku$>, Mayayana
    <> wrote:

    > is to
    > | >
    > | > Other advantages of that approach: You can quickly
    > | > look for a photo without needing descriptive file names,
    > | > and it's very easy to back up your comments separately
    > | > from the photos.
    > |
    > | there is no advantage to that approach.
    >
    > opinion (uh-pin-yun) n. A point of view, as distinct from fact.

    it's fact. there is no advantage to using a separate text file and
    certainly separating them during backup. putting comments in a text
    file is ridiculous in the first place. he wants easier and safer, not
    harder and unmaintainable.

    nospam, Mar 14, 2013