    Finepix A303. Please help me decide.

    TIA

    Phil
    Phil, Jan 1, 2004

  2. Phil

    John Doe Guest

    They'd all be good choices. I'd probably go with the A60, it isn't that
    large. I believe the A300 has no zoom.

    I know one thing, you're going to hear from a guy named Steve who will tell
    you all about the terrible time he had dealing with Canon.
    John Doe, Jan 1, 2004

  3. Phil

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    I carry the Fuji A303 with me 90% of the time. Fits in my purse and I love the
    grabshots.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Jan 1, 2004
  4. Phil

    GAH Guest

    This is just my personal opinion:

    A303 - takes nice photos, but not so great build quality.

    A300 - also takes nice photos, and great movie mode, but no optical zoom and
    again, not so great build quality.

    X20 - good build quality. Small, with zoom. Image quality not quite as
    good as a full sized lens camera, but still not "bad".

    A60 - overall, good build quality and good images. Can use Ni-MH
    rechargeable AA batteries., optical zoom. Can use as a point and shoot, but
    has tons of manual controls once you (she) learns more.

    My personal vote for the money: Canon A60.

    Greg
    -------------
    www.digitalcamerabasics.com

    GAH, Jan 1, 2004
  5. Phil

    Phil Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 09:11:56 -0600, "John Doe" <>
    wrote:

    >They'd all be good choices. I'd probably go with the A60, it isn't that
    >large. I believe the A300 has no zoom.

    Yes, I spotted that just after I posted this request

    >I know one thing, you're going to hear from a guy named Steve who will tell
    >you all about the terrible time he had dealing with Canon.

    Thanks, I'll be ready for that <BG>

    Many thanks for your rapid response.

    Phil
    Phil, Jan 1, 2004
  6. Phil

    Phil Guest

    On 01 Jan 2004 15:18:59 GMT, et (HRosita) wrote:

    >I carry the Fuji A303 with me 90% of the time. Fits in my purse and I love the
    >grabshots.

    Hello Rosita,

    It's good to have a woman's point of view. Many thanks.

    Phil
    Phil, Jan 1, 2004
  7. Phil

    Phil Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 15:43:30 GMT, "GAH" <> wrote:

    >A303 - takes nice photos, but not so great build quality.
    >
    >A300 - also takes nice photos, and great movie mode, but no optical zoom and
    >again, not so great build quality.

    I spotted the lack of zoom just after posting my request.

    >X20 - good build quality. Small, with zoom. Image quality not quite as
    >good as a full sized lens camera, but still not "bad".
    >
    >A60 - overall, good build quality and good images. Can use Ni-MH
    >rechargeable AA batteries., optical zoom. Can use as a point and shoot, but
    >has tons of manual controls once you (she) learns more.
    >
    >My personal vote for the money: Canon A60.

    Greg,

    Many thanks for a rapid reponse and your reasoned conclusions to my
    request.

    Phil
    Phil, Jan 1, 2004
  8. Phil

    DHB Guest

    Phil,
    IMHO the best overall value is the Canon A60 because of it's ability
    to function as both a point-n-shoot camera or so much more. It's down side
    is that it may be a bit large for a women's handbag but that depends on the
    handbag & how many other things are in it.

    Probably the most objective & useful advice I can give you both is to
    say: "compare before you buy & give you 2 quality links to a lot of
    information about the cameras your considering".

    <1> This link will let you do side-by side feature comparisons:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

    <2> This link is for a review site but it's much more like a mini
    on-line guide on how to use each camera with pictures of everything:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

    Hope this information is helpful to you.

    Respectfully, DHB

    DHB, Jan 1, 2004
  9. Phil

    kjk Guest

    Phil,

    Given those choices, I'd actually upgrade to the Canon A80 for all the
    reasons previously listed here in favor of the A60, plus . . .

    It has a flipscreen, which she can turn in when closed to protect the
    screen from getting scratched while it's in her handbag, and, if she's
    relatively short, it will also allow her to take pictures by holding
    it above the heads of anybody that may be in front of her.

    Ken

    kjk, Jan 1, 2004
  10. Phil

    Phil Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 17:49:37 GMT, "DHB" <> wrote:

    > IMHO the best overall value is the Canon A60 because of it's ability
    >to function as both a point-n-shoot camera or so much more. It's down side
    >is that it may be a bit large for a women's handbag but that depends on the
    >handbag & how many other things are in it.
    > .
    > [clipped]

    Many thanks, DBH. For my wife, your point-and-shoot advice is good!

    I have visited the review sites you mention but I was seeking some
    personal advice/experience.

    Phil
    Phil, Jan 2, 2004
  11. Phil

    Phil Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 13:56:18 -0500, kjk <> wrote:

    > if she's
    >relatively short, it will also allow her to take pictures by holding
    >it above the heads of anybody that may be in front of her.

    A very good point, Ken but, unfortunately, its price rules it out.

    Thanks anyway.

    Phil
    Phil, Jan 2, 2004
  12. Phil

    JC Dill Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 13:56:18 -0500, kjk <> wrote:

    >Given those choices, I'd actually upgrade to the Canon A80 for all the
    >reasons previously listed here in favor of the A60, plus . . .
    >
    >It has a flipscreen,

    My first digicam was the Canon G1, and I would not buy another low end
    digicam *without* the flip screen. I loved it, and it's a feature I
    greatly miss as I move into the pro line (1D etc).

    jc (female, but I don't presently have a camera that fits in a
    handbag... maybe I should look into the A80 :)
    JC Dill, Jan 3, 2004
  13. Phil

    Phil Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 00:02:56 GMT, JC Dill
    <> wrote:

    >My first digicam was the Canon G1, and I would not buy another low end
    >digicam *without* the flip screen. I loved it, and it's a feature I
    >greatly miss as I move into the pro line (1D etc).
    >
    >jc (female, but I don't presently have a camera that fits in a
    >handbag... maybe I should look into the A80 :)

    Thanks jc

    Phil
    Phil, Jan 3, 2004