Prerequisites 70-745 (Business Intelligence)

Discussion in 'MCITP' started by Valmont, Apr 3, 2008.

  1. Valmont

    Valmont Guest

    Hi everybody,

    Currently I'm working as a scripter/reporter/Office programmer for a
    company. I'd like to specialize in B.I. .My chief agrees on following a
    serious B.I. certification path as we think our marketvalue will
    increase.But I have long road to travel. I seriously would like some advice
    before starting anything. My goal is to have 70-445 & 70-446. I'm very
    motivated!

    I have zilch experiance with MS SQL Server 2003 or 2005. I use Crystal
    Reports, connect to a SQL server and go from there with CR. I can handle
    only very basic SQL, build applications as an intermediate(VBA/C++) and
    that's it.

    Looking at the exam 70-445, people say it is hard to do.
    Question: what do I need to study first so I can start with confidence on
    70-445?

    My Idea: do first "Exam 70-431: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 -
    Implementation and Maintenance"
    But I value the opinion of certified people (DBA / B.I.) a whole lot more.

    Greetings,
    Val
    Valmont, Apr 3, 2008

  2. Valmont

    Guest

    First, let me qualify my answer. I'm not a MCITP: BI, but I do have
    the MCITP: DBA and MCITP: Dev certs with SQL Server 2005 and have been
    following SQL Server for several years.

    As of Feb 2008, there were only 337 BI developers and MS Press has
    cancelled at least one book title on the BI exams. Following some
    blogs, it sounds like they don't have much hope for the MCITP BI cert
    on SQL Server 2005, but will be making it easier in SQL Server 2008.
    It will likely two exams (one MCTS BI exam and one MCITP BI exam). As
    with the current certs, the focus will be on SQL Server Analysis
    Services, SQL Server Reporting Services, and SQL Server Integration
    Services. Of course SQL Server 2008 may not come out until the end of
    the year and 2008 certs may not be out until 2009.

    If you want to master the material, I suggest you download and install
    SQL Server 2005 and start playing with it. SQL Server includes Books
    Online (BOL) and it is very good for answering a lot of questions and
    also includes many walk throughs that help you play with the
    material. For BI, concentrate on SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS),
    SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), and SQL Server Integration
    Services (SSIS). You can download up-to-date databases
    (AdventureWorks and AdventureWorksDW) and samples at Microsoft's
    codeplex site: http://www.codeplex.com/SqlServerSamples

    I have to say though, that starting with the BI topics with the
    knowledge you state reminds me of someone trying to do calculus
    without algebra. You may be able to do it, but I don't think I could.

    While you don't need 70-431 as a prereq for the BI cert, that
    knowledge would be valuable to create a foundation if you haven't done
    much with SQL Server 2005. Interestingly, the 70-431 was one of the
    required exams when the BI cert was first unveiled (but it isn't
    required any more).

    You may also consider getting one of the MCITP certs (Database
    Administrator or Database Developer) certs in SQL Server 2005 to build
    up some knowledge. By the time you finish, the MCITP:BI cert in SQL
    Server 2008 may be out and you'll have built a foundation making the
    MCITP:BI cert more achievable.

    That begs the question "Which MCITP Cert?" The knowledge for the
    Database Developer cert is closer to the knowledge for the BI cert, so
    that is probably the way to go. Though when you get into BI's cubes,
    dimensions and measures, you need to understand data warehouses. You
    won't come across data warehouses in either the DBA or Dev certs.

    HTH,

    Darril Gibson
    MCT, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSE, MCSD
    http://mcitpsuccess.com/
    http://mcitpsuccess.blogspot.com
    Author, MCITP SQL Server 2005 Database Administration All-in-One Exam
    Guide (Exams 70-431, 70-443, & 70-444)
    Author, MCITP SQL Server 2005 Database Developer All-in-One Exam
    Guide (Exams 70-431, 70-441, & 70-442)

    On Apr 3, 2:57 pm, "Valmont" <> wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > Currently I'm working as a scripter/reporter/Office programmer for a
    > company. I'd like to specialize in B.I. .My chief agrees on following a
    > serious B.I. certification path as we think our marketvalue will
    > increase.But I have long road to travel. I seriously would like some advice
    > before starting anything. My goal is to have 70-445 & 70-446. I'm very
    > motivated!
    >
    > I have zilch experiance with MS SQL Server 2003 or 2005. I use Crystal
    > Reports, connect to a SQL server and go from there with CR. I can handle
    > only very basic SQL, build applications as an intermediate(VBA/C++) and
    > that's it.
    >
    > Looking at the exam 70-445, people say it is hard to do.
    > Question: what do I need to study first so I can start with confidence on
    > 70-445?
    >
    > My Idea: do first "Exam 70-431: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 -
    > Implementation and Maintenance"
    > But I value the opinion of certified people (DBA / B.I.)  a whole lot more.
    >
    > Greetings,
    > Val
    , Apr 4, 2008

  3. Valmont

    Valmont Guest

    Thank you for your reply. I will read it thouroughly before I draw any
    conclusions.

    Thank you very much once again,
    Val

    <> schreef in bericht

    Valmont, Apr 4, 2008
  4. Valmont

    webster Guest

    <> wrote in message
    Darril Gibson
    MCT, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSE, MCSD
    http://mcitpsuccess.com/
    http://mcitpsuccess.blogspot.com
    Author, MCITP SQL Server 2005 Database Administration All-in-One Exam
    Guide (Exams 70-431, 70-443, & 70-444)
    Author, MCITP SQL Server 2005 Database Developer All-in-One Exam
    Guide (Exams 70-431, 70-441, & 70-442)

    Darril,

    I mainly work with Citrix and have 18 or 19 yrs experience with the
    products. Lately I have been having to deal with a lot of SQL Server stuff
    to work with the various components of Presentation Server/XenApp. When I
    built a lab server to install, test and play with all the Citrix components
    I kept running into obstacles because of my lack of SQL Server
    understanding. Because of that I decided it was high time to learn SQL
    Server. I had noticed your tag lines on several messages and decided to
    give both your books a try. I must say they are really helping me. Back in
    May I could spell SQL and that was it. I have set a personal goal to
    achieve the DBA certs within 18 months and another 18 months to get the Dev
    cert (I was a software developer for 18 yrs in a past life).

    I would highly recommend your books to anyone wanting to learn MS SQL Server
    2005 to work towards their certs.

    Thanks

    Webster
    webster, Jun 24, 2008