Preparing for core exams

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Rumbledor, Mar 23, 2005.

  1. Rumbledor

    Rumbledor Guest

    I've been a FoxPro and VB developer for some 7 or 8 years now with some
    good SQL Server experience over the last few years as well. I have decided
    to go for a MCSA and possibly MCDBA later.

    That vast majority of my networking experience has been with Microsoft
    products, so I am familiar with the basic concepts. I have installed
    Windows 2000 server at home, for instance, on seperate occasions as both a
    member server as well as a domain controller.

    I have begun my formal studying with Mark Minasi's, Mastering Windows
    Server 2003, and was wondering what other books/materials anyone else might
    suggest? I am considering also the Microsoft Windows Server 2003
    Administrator's Companion, but that would be an awful lot of additional
    reading, much of which is undoubtedly covered in Minasi's book.

    Then there is also the official curriculum series from Microsoft. That just
    seemed very dry to me, so I wasn't sure how helpful it might be.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin
    Rumbledor, Mar 23, 2005

  2. Rumbledor

    Rumbledor Guest

    Rumbledor <> wrote in

    > Any advice would be appreciated.

    Yup....any (legitimate) advice at all....

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin
    Rumbledor, Mar 25, 2005

  3. Rumbledor

    kuky Guest

    Hi.....
    The only material that everyone need to read is.....the IT BIBLE...that mean..
    Mark Minasi's book.( Mastering Server 2003). is the best resource...!!!
    But if you need something to complement you knowledge, maybe this book is
    the answer (Addison-Wesley - Inside Windows Server 2003).

    MCSA/MCSE = Mastering Server 2003 + Inside Server 2003 + Transcender.
    Go ahead to Microsoft Cert....

    kuky, Mar 28, 2005
  4. Rumbledor

    Rumbledor Guest

    "=?Utf-8?B?a3VreQ==?=" <> wrote in

    > Hi.....
    > The only material that everyone need to read is.....the IT
    > BIBLE...that mean.. Mark Minasi's book.( Mastering Server 2003). is
    > the best resource...!!! But if you need something to complement you
    > knowledge, maybe this book is the answer (Addison-Wesley - Inside
    > Windows Server 2003).
    >
    > MCSA/MCSE = Mastering Server 2003 + Inside Server 2003 + Transcender.
    > Go ahead to Microsoft Cert....

    Thank you very much. Would you recommend the Windows Server 2003
    Administrator's Companion as an additional reference on any particular
    topics?

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin
    Rumbledor, Mar 29, 2005
  5. Rumbledor

    kuky Guest

    Not really, I dont recommend any Microsoft Training Materials, I can recomend
    Syngress book, that books are good....but Mark Minasi is the BEST....!!! What
    Chapter are you reading right now....?

    This is clients cooment about Minasi Works

    "Learned more in two days from your 2000 class than in two weeks of
    Microsoft training..."

    "We refer to your 'Mastering' book as the bible. Quite literally. "Have you
    seen the bible?" "Hey John; where's the bible?" "Did you look it up in the
    bible?""

    "Only one word describes Mark's books. That word is 'quality.'"

    kuky, Mar 29, 2005
  6. Rumbledor

    molsonexpert Guest

    "kuky" <> wrote in message
    > Not really, I dont recommend any Microsoft Training Materials, I can

    recomend
    > Syngress book, that books are good....but Mark Minasi is the BEST....!!!

    What
    > Chapter are you reading right now....?
    >
    > This is clients cooment about Minasi Works
    >
    > "Learned more in two days from your 2000 class than in two weeks of
    > Microsoft training..."
    >
    > "We refer to your 'Mastering' book as the bible. Quite literally. "Have

    you
    > seen the bible?" "Hey John; where's the bible?" "Did you look it up in the
    > bible?""
    >

    > "Only one word describes Mark's books. That word is 'quality.'"

    What are you, his agent?

    steve.
    molsonexpert, Mar 29, 2005
  7. Rumbledor

    Rumbledor Guest

    "=?Utf-8?B?a3VreQ==?=" <> wrote in

    > Not really, I dont recommend any Microsoft Training Materials, I can
    > recomend Syngress book, that books are good....but Mark Minasi is the
    > BEST....!!! What Chapter are you reading right now....?

    I've only gotten through the first few chapters so far, but have skipped
    ahead to the chapters on TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP and WINS servers. My
    background being in programming, I felt that getting straight with those
    concepts was important before getting too far along.

    > This is clients cooment about Minasi Works
    >
    > "Learned more in two days from your 2000 class than in two weeks of
    > Microsoft training..."
    >
    > "We refer to your 'Mastering' book as the bible. Quite literally.
    > "Have you seen the bible?" "Hey John; where's the bible?" "Did you
    > look it up in the bible?""
    >

    > "Only one word describes Mark's books. That word is 'quality.'"

    I do like his writing style. Too many books out there read like the
    Microsoft Books Online - very dry and overly technical.

    Thanks again!

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin
    Rumbledor, Mar 29, 2005
  8. Rumbledor

    FYI-Geek101 Guest

    I also recommend the following microsoft press books for
    training.
    Microsoft Press Books About Microsoft Products and
    Technologies at
    NOTE: These press books can be acquired cheaper at
    http://www.ebay.com.

    An excellent compliment to your training is to
    use the free Microsoft Skills Assessments at
    and its always free.

    VERY IMPORTANT:
    Industry use these assessments to measure your skill sets,
    so completing them successfully is in your best interest.

    If you need help, you can also get free detailed Q&A
    support for skills assessments at
    http://disnetinc.com/

    FYI-Geek101

    Franklin