preparing for 70-315

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Al, Dec 25, 2004.

  1. Al

    Al Guest

    Hi, folks. I could use a bit of advice (or encouragement)
    regarding MCAD and MCSD exams. I'm wanting to change jobs
    in the near/intermediate future, and so decided to add at
    least an MCP to my resume.

    I have five years as a developer and an MS degree from
    1991 (pre-Web!) I spent a number of years caring for
    elderly parents before entering the job market full time.

    My grad program was half MBA and half CS, and I've been
    programming on and off since first getting my hands on an
    Apple II+ in 1981.

    Most of my professional experience is in building web
    apps, using various tools- PHP/MySQL, Cold Fusion, and
    ASP. But I've also done a fair amount of 2-tier
    client/server stuff (VB6 and VC6) and even one embedded
    systems project while i was with an IT consulting group.

    I'm actually working for a school district right now -
    made a leap towards job security when the tech sector was
    collapsing. It's been interesting, but the door to
    advancement looks like it leads either to a bigger
    district or back to the private sector.

    What I'm wondering at this point is: how much suffering
    should I expect? I'm not having trouble moving from
    things like VB6 and MFC to C# and .NET in practice...
    I've already done some C# work for a client as part of an
    ongoing freelance project, using windows forms... relying
    a lot on IntelliSense, of course... actually I'm rather
    surprised how effortless it was to do multithreading with
    delegates, compared to using the Win32 API or MFC.
    Handling exceptions seemed to be much easier too.

    I started reading the Exam Cram book by Kalani on exam 70-
    315 (ASP.NET with C#) and found some things comfortable
    and other things disturbing. I would rather not spend a
    ton on materials if I don't have to, and I've already
    been told to study MSDN more than anything else, but...

    HOW MUCH am i supposed to SUFFER with this? Is it NORMAL
    to get these STRESS headaches that go straight down
    through my left EYEBALL? Do i need a THERAPIST more than
    a CERTIFICATION?

    I need advice! I need some encouragement!

    I need a HUG!

    -Al
    Al, Dec 25, 2004

  2. Al

    Sean Guest

    The amount of learning required for these new tests are unbelievably huge.
    Had I any idea it would be this much I would have not bothered. As it is I
    have invested much time studying all three exams at once (because there is
    some overlapping in the path I am taking, which is the only good news).
    I have taken one exam formally (knowing I would fail) and did a better then
    I thought and had plenty of time which was surprising although I think the
    format is somewhat random.
    In short, I think if you are looking for a mild change in your resume I
    wouldn’t touch this insanity with a ten foot pole.
    I am looking for a monument change in my resume and about to punt the idea.

    Sean, Jan 1, 2005