Prepared for MCSE 2000 never finished exams

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?anR5bmRhbGU=?=, Nov 1, 2007.

  1. All,

    Curious to know what would be more beneficial in this situation. I realize
    that in April of 2008 many, or all, of the MCSE 2000 exams will be retired.
    I've prepared for my MCSE 2000 at least 5 years ago, took the certified
    courses offered from my company for free, took one exam (70-215 i believe)
    and didn't pass, just missed the mark. Since my job at the time didn't
    require MCSE, and I've left that company, gained experience in the feilds but
    am still very interested in obtaining my certs.

    Would it still be of interest to go the MCSE 2000 route, then take 70-292
    and 70-296 to be more current, or would it be better to just focus on the
    smaller exams, MCSE 2003 from scratch. I do know the material, however, I
    would need to brush up on alot of it since it's been a while on the 2000
    platform.

    Please advise and thank you for all the help posted in this forum. I enjoy
    reading these posts daily. Just looking for direction.

    Regards,
    Jason

    =?Utf-8?B?anR5bmRhbGU=?=, Nov 1, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?anR5bmRhbGU=?=

    John R Guest

    "jtyndale" <> wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > Curious to know what would be more beneficial in this situation. I
    > realize
    > that in April of 2008 many, or all, of the MCSE 2000 exams will be
    > retired.
    > I've prepared for my MCSE 2000 at least 5 years ago, took the certified
    > courses offered from my company for free, took one exam (70-215 i believe)
    > and didn't pass, just missed the mark. Since my job at the time didn't
    > require MCSE, and I've left that company, gained experience in the feilds
    > but
    > am still very interested in obtaining my certs.
    >
    > Would it still be of interest to go the MCSE 2000 route, then take 70-292
    > and 70-296 to be more current, or would it be better to just focus on the
    > smaller exams, MCSE 2003 from scratch. I do know the material, however, I
    > would need to brush up on alot of it since it's been a while on the 2000
    > platform.
    >
    > Please advise and thank you for all the help posted in this forum. I
    > enjoy
    > reading these posts daily. Just looking for direction.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jason

    The question isn't one that we can answer. If you see yourself working with
    2000 and you think your employer or potential employers would value a cert
    in 2000, then by all means, go for it first. If you think that your efforts
    might be better spent on 2003 since that is where most of your work will be,
    then move in that direction. Also, longhorn will be coming in soon, so that
    is something else to think about. If you have no exams in your pocket right
    now, personally I would not go 2000, but that is my personal choice since my
    company is on 2003 active directory. You need to weight the benefits vrs
    the cost (both in time and money). Also, as you've already pointed out,
    after March 2008, you will not be able to take any 2000 exams (or the
    upgrade exams 292 and 296). You will still be able to upgrade to 2003, but
    you'll have to take 290, 291, 293, and 294 instead.

    So, time, money, benefit. Weight them out.

    Good luck to you in whatever path you choose.

    John R

    John R, Nov 1, 2007