    Microsoft Visual Studio .NET", do I need to attend any classroom training or
    can I just books and maybe microsoft e-learning courses?

    What is a realistic time frame to obtain MCAD?

    Karen, Sep 6, 2006

  2. Re: Preparation for Exam 70-306

    Sept. 6, 2006

    Hey Karen... 70-306 has some good learning resources.

    Check out the free assessments (not created specifically for the exam, but
    are great anyway), and they will give a custom learning report for which
    articles/books would be good for you to study for topics you got incorrect:

    http://www.microsoft.com/assessment (or assessments, can't remember)

    The Microsoft Press training kits are great too, there is one created for
    each exam. . . microsoft.com/press

    In the beginning of each training kit book, there is a list of exam
    objectives and where each objective is covered in the book. The exam
    objectives can also be found online:

    If you don't have any experience with .Net, you will probably greatly
    benefit by reading specifically about ADO.Net which is .Net's database
    connection & data classes... ADO.Net Step By Step was very helpful for me
    when I was learning.

    I generally allow around 3-4 months per exam for studying, when the exam is
    on something which I don't have previous experience with.

    Also, I suggest books as your main course of study, because the classrooms
    last only a day or so can cost around $1000+ each, and you might need 4 per
    exam, and frankly I highly doubt you'll cover anything in-depth enough to be
    usable once you get a job.

    Hope this helps and let me know if you have more questions!

    --
    Joseph Bittman
    Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

    Web Site/Blog: http://CactiDevelopers.ResDev.Net/

    Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD, Sep 6, 2006

  3. With your present experience in VB 6.0 and SQL it should take you about 3-4
    months to obtain 70-306 depending on the amount of hours you can put in for
    studies. This if you are doing it selfpace.

    Berkshire Freddo, Sep 23, 2006