Premiere 6.5: PAL to NTSC conversion with Adobe Mpeg encoder 1.2

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jane, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. Jane

    Jane Guest

    I work with digital video (mostly 3d animation) created in PAL (in New
    Zealand) that I would like to make NTSC video to send to the USA.

    I have been exporting the mp2 files from Premiere 6.5 using the Adobe Mpeg
    encoder 1.2. into DVD Architect 1 which I use to create DVD's.

    My DVD Pal videos have been great. However, when I export the mp2 files into
    NTSC using a NTSC setting, it plays on my computer DVD players a bit more
    jerky than in PAL especially when the camera moves quickly (and occasionally
    with lines through some of the images).

    Are there any solutions for my PC (dual processor using XP)? Should I simply
    create a new timeline in Premiere 6.5 as NTSC, then export as NTSC? Or do I
    have to send it to an expensive service bureau with NTSC conversion
    software?

    Thnaks in advance!
    Jane, Jan 9, 2004

  2. On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:41:22 +1300, "Jane" <>
    wrote:

    >I work with digital video (mostly 3d animation) created in PAL (in New
    >Zealand) that I would like to make NTSC video to send to the USA.

    That's not a trivial thing to want to do, which is why broadcast
    quality standard convertors like the Alchemist cost many tens of
    thousands of pounds.

    You're trying to convert 50 fields per second into 60. If you simply
    repeat ten fields it will work, but you'll get a jerky image. You
    really need to see if you can find some software that uses motion
    estimation to do the conversion. There probably are standalone
    programmes that will do this...

    Steve

    The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
    http://www.restoration-team.co.uk
    Steve Roberts, Jan 9, 2004

  3. As it happens much of my 'family' (long and irrelevant story) is in S.E.A.
    For some obscure resaon many of the DVD's they send me are in NTSC.........

    They play a wee bit oddly in MY PAL DVD player too!!!!

    Could be your PAL DVD player converts NTSC to PAL which will produce the
    artefacts you describe. If your telly will handle TRUE NTSC and your DVD
    player/telly allows it try switching to TRUE 525/60Hz.......

    Matt Rathney Quinn. TFGTV Scotland., Jan 9, 2004
  4. Jane

    Jane Guest

    "Matt Rathney Quinn. TFGTV Scotland." <the.real.address
    thing.not.too.hard.to.work.out> wrote
    in message news:btnbak$58k$...
    > As it happens much of my 'family' (long and irrelevant story) is in S.E.A.
    > For some obscure resaon many of the DVD's they send me are in

    NTSC.........

    > They play a wee bit oddly in MY PAL DVD player too!!!!
    >
    > Could be your PAL DVD player converts NTSC to PAL which will produce the
    > artefacts you describe. If your telly will handle TRUE NTSC and your DVD
    > player/telly allows it try switching to TRUE 525/60Hz.......

    My PAL DVD player does not convert it well at all, but my computer DVD
    player does a decent job. However, I'm concerned about sending the DVD's to
    competitions in the USA in which the best quality is essential.

    Jane, Jan 10, 2004
  5. Well if the Americans want the best quality they should change to PAL <GGG>
    Sorry! couldn't resist that.....

    As I said previously IF your TV can handle true NTSC have a look at the DVD
    players menu system and see if that can be set for NTSC output....... This
    is what I've resorted to doing if I want to play back an NTSC disc without
    the conversion artefacts.. Even good quality commercial NTSC discs look
    jerky when converted by a DVD player if the machine converts (as mine does)
    to true 625/50 PAL as opposed to the hybrid 525/60 PAL......

    What will be happening at the moment in all likelyhood is that your PAL DVD
    player is transcoding the NTSC disc to PAL.. Since it's already been
    converted FROM PAL there are bound to be additional artefacts...

    Another alternative might be to get a U.S. based friend to test the disc for
    you!

    The other thing that strikes me on re-reading your post......

    Would it be practical for you to do a 2nd render of your 3d material in NTSC
    rather than have premiere do the conversion?

    Matt Rathney Quinn. TFGTV Scotland., Jan 10, 2004